"infant" eligible for DAS

Raenstoirm

DIS Veteran
My 2.5 year old has sensory processing disorder. We are still working though what that actually means, but our upcoming october disney trip has me a bit spooked. This will be his 5th WDW trip (and we had zero issues on past trips but the last trip he was only 20 months old). He is a "person" now with very distinct opinions on things so I don't know what to expect. So first is he eligible for a DAS even though he wont have a ticket? And if so, I have some specific ride concerns, well queue concerns. He doesn't do well squished around other people. He seems to have claustrophobia. So HM should be hell and the stairs leading to TSMM wont go over well either. Would they let us board HM at the ride exit when its crowded and with the wheelchairs at TSMM? We plan on FP+ both of them so the line accommodation that goes with DAS wont be needed. I think things like Pirates, Nemo, little mermaid should be ok since you can "build" space around yourself. No one is telling you to "fill in all available space." Some days he is totally fine so we wouldnt need to worry about it, but today was hell with him so I have to plan for his bad days. Also would stroller as wheelchair be advantageous? He has zero mobility issues, but the security of the sun shade might help some. He always has it pulled down when out and about at home for example. I don't want to be "that" family that has people sneering because I am bringing a stroller into a line and the kid hops out and climbs into a ride totally fine though. This is all new to me so I never really paid attention to anything disability related since the 90s when we brought my grandmother in a wheelchair.

You can get DAS card for your son without a ticket. I just got one for my son this past February without a ticket. I get the stroller as a wheelchair for my son. He has low muscle tone but it definitely helps keep him grounded. He's a sensory seeker and being strapped into the stroller helps him when he starts getting over stimulated. People unfortunately judge but you need to do what's going to help your family enjoy your trip. I hope you have a great trip!

Guests can have a DAS regardless of age. I believe they will issue a hard "ticket" with the DAS for young children under age 3. You'll need to explain his needs related to waiting in a standard queue environment, and if you aren't sure you can try the park for a bit and see how it goes, then you'll know exactly what is challenging for him. With a DAS you return and enter through the FP+ queue; I don't believe they will allow you to enter through the exit at any ride. You may find the stroller-as-wheelchair tag will help give him space if crowding is a concern. That will also have you using pull-offs or (rare) alternate entrances depending on the queue, but be aware those can get backed up at times though the use of "wheelchair return times" is supposed to help alleviate that backup.

Check out the WDW DAS thread pinned near the top of this forum if you haven't already. https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/

Enjoy your vacation!

Toy Story Midway Mania has an accessible boarding area without stairs, but the 3rd track was built a few years ago also has no stairs in the queue. Strollers as wheelchairs are handles the same way as wheelchairs, so you would be routed to one of the accessible areas with a stroller being used in line.
Guests who need the wheelchair accessible ride car will be routed to the ramped area to the right of the stairs. Guests with mobility devices who do not need the wheelchair ride car might be routed there or the new track to the left of the stairs.

For Haunted Mansion, expect to be in the stretching room, but guests with mobility devices are directed to stay to the rear to the tight and stay in the room until other guests leave the room to go to the boarding area. At that point, you are led to a hallway which ends up at the unload area/exit. Mobility devices are left there when you board and will be in the same place when you get off.

My 2.5 year old has sensory processing disorder. We are still working though what that actually means, but our upcoming october disney trip has me a bit spooked. This will be his 5th WDW trip (and we had zero issues on past trips but the last trip he was only 20 months old). He is a "person" now with very distinct opinions on things so I don't know what to expect. So first is he eligible for a DAS even though he wont have a ticket? And if so, I have some specific ride concerns, well queue concerns. He doesn't do well squished around other people. He seems to have claustrophobia. So HM should be hell and the stairs leading to TSMM wont go over well either. Would they let us board HM at the ride exit when its crowded and with the wheelchairs at TSMM? We plan on FP+ both of them so the line accommodation that goes with DAS wont be needed. I think things like Pirates, Nemo, little mermaid should be ok since you can "build" space around yourself. No one is telling you to "fill in all available space." Some days he is totally fine so we wouldnt need to worry about it, but today was hell with him so I have to plan for his bad days. Also would stroller as wheelchair be advantageous? He has zero mobility issues, but the security of the sun shade might help some. He always has it pulled down when out and about at home for example. I don't want to be "that" family that has people sneering because I am bringing a stroller into a line and the kid hops out and climbs into a ride totally fine though. This is all new to me so I never really paid attention to anything disability related since the 90s when we brought my grandmother in a wheelchair.

I think the stroller as a wheelchair is going to be a lifesaver for you! My son has asd, sensory issues, elopement, etc. No one can you tell you if he'll be eligible for the DAS, but his age isn't a factor. The DAS is nice to have, but truly, the wheelchair tag is a life changer. It gives him personal space, he can pull down the canopy, he's strapped in and safe, if he has his kindle on, it's a little easier to hear, we can sit in the handicap seating of shows so he isn't surrounded on all sides.

I was hesitant to ask for the stroller tag and DAS on our first trip with my son who has asd, partly because he was 2 and no ticket, partly because I was still affected by strangers' reactions. Three days into the trip a CM pulled us aside and asked if we knew about those things, calmed my concerns, and walked me over to Guest Relations.

My son is 5 now but almost as tall as my 9year old. We've had to move into a special needs stroller and we take it everywhere we go. Makes ALL family outings SO MUCH EASIER

a DAS for a toddler would ONLY be valid on those rides the toddler can ride. so all the height restricted ones are right out.

In what reality is a 2 1/2 year old an infant? That's a preschooler.
Actually not all 2.5 years olds are toddlers. My grandson is almost 2.5 and does not walk. No he's not an infant though, even though he's not much bigger than one. He's wearing a 12 mo shirt with a 3-6 mo shirt. There are medical reasons for his delay.

Actually not all 2.5 years olds are toddlers. My grandson is almost 2.5 and does not walk. No he's not an infant though, even though he's not much bigger than one. He's wearing a 12 mo shirt with a 3-6 mo shirt. There are medical reasons for his delay.

I think the term toddler is meant as a stage of growth, not an actual ability. Ages 1-3 are when the human in general becomes bipedal with basic mastery around age 3. So while your grandson is small and not walking, he'd still be considered a toddler - and that's why they would look for medical/developmental reasons why he isn't walking yet - he's chronologically at that stage, just not developmentally.

To get back on the topic, yes, the DAS is available, but only if the child rides. So get your FP+ for the things he would not go on, or for the things that are a must do for the family. As you can only have one DAS return time at a time, you have to decide what is the best value to use that return time on - is it worth a 2 hour wait for Peter Pan, or 45 minutes for Pooh?

Hope your trip goes well - my DGS has SPD and Dyspraxia under his Autism Spectrum special needs - he is 8 now and coped so well in Disney at just 4 but as he's got older we face more debate with "when", "where", "why", "how long", "what if" etc. His Mummy is amazing with him - for example at a children's trail at a National Trust property last week he took a dislike to one of the tasks and his little sister happily wanted to take part - with no fuss or bother she spoke quietly to him and they retired to a safe distance- hard to do that in the Disney crowds of course so although I've today nabbed our FP+ I think we will ask for DAS for those type of situations. We go October too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!