Info for those with DDP looking to save kid's TS credits by sharing

frannn

<font color=blue>please stop the madnesssss alread
I called Disney Dining today to ask them if would be ok for DH, DD3, and I to share 2 adult TS meals at CR when we have dinner there. I wouldn't mind saving the kid's meal credit to be used at a character breakfast for a kid's meal, and DH and I could pay OOP with our DDE discount for our meals (I should've asked about this also, but never got that far). She put me on hold to ask someone, and the answer is that anyone 3 and over should not share (whether paying OOP, DDP, DDE, etc), but it is really up to the server. So, the bottom line is that they really can't give me a definitive answer, as it is the server's option to allow us or not to share with our DD3. I can live with this for this trip. We are on the DDP for free this trip, so if they want me to use a TS credit (free) to try CR for the first time, no problem! I will take notice of those TS that make you order a meal for young kids, though, as I probably wouldn't go back to those on future trips, when paying OOP. In the past at WDW, and at home, we share with DD3 when dining out most of the time to save $ and be able to go out more often, or to nicer places. If they won't let us share with her, we probably won't go back. So, we will enjoy the two regular TS meals we have planned, and go by what the server says. The rest of our ADRs are for buffet type meals, so this will not be an issue. Hope this doesn't start a debate, just relaying info. BTW, this was the standard last year as well, when we were using DDE. At Nine Dragons, the server allowed the four of us (2A, 2C) to order three meals, and split them amongst all of us. So, maybe most servers allow this.

I'm pretty sure that if you called back 5 times, you'd get 7 different answers. :tilt:

We had no problem last year paying OOP for kids at $5 sit-down meals and using them later for buffets. Not one server said anything, and I'd be stunned if a server ever would.

As much food as it is, there will be a few times you are too full to eat, frankly, but others in your group will be ready (think late breakfast buffet, and a early-dinner seating at another TS, which happened to us). My wife and I split a TS that time, but kids were ready to eat.

I did leave extra for the tip though, about whatever 18% was going to be if we'd all ordered a meal...which wouldn't have happened without good/accommodating service.

Have a great trip!

The reason they can't give you a definitive answer is there isn't one set policy on the subject.
They don't have a restaurant by restaurant guide with 100% of each restaurant's policies on it and therefore cannot tell you whether sharing is possible or not for each one.

As best as I can give you.

There is at least one restaurant with a minimum plate charge.
There is another where non-eating guests are charged an "entertainment fee."
At the buffets, sharing isn't allowed.
But for the vast majority of Table service at an a-la-carte place, it is possible to share. If you don't see a minimum plate charge or a non-eating guest entertainment fee, You're probably ok. But ask the Waiter just to be sure.

Cannot_Wait_4Disney said:
There is at least one restaurant with a minimum plate charge.
There is another where non-eating guests are charged an "entertainment fee."
At the buffets, sharing isn't allowed.

Which ones, that you're aware of, charge the minimum-plate and entertainment fees? TIA

Liberty Tree Tavern is the non-eating guest fee place at dinner according to allears, it's $5.00.
http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_ltt.htm
I can't remember where I read the other one at the moment. I've thought Aha!!! about 6 times now, then looked it up and it wasn't there. Sort of like my car keys.

I've never been to either of them.

Obviously at the buffets, you cannot share, nor can you share an all you can eat platter or something like that at WCC or elsewhere.

If you don't see anything listed as such on the menu's at All ears, or at the place in question at an a-la-carte place, you're pretty safe to assume they wouldn't have such and it's ok to share.

But the point is, if you call Disney Dining, they cannot possibly keep up with that kind of detail at every restaurant. So you're not likely to get a consistant answer from CM to CM. One may know, the other may be guessing. But from our end of course, it's tough to figure out which is which.

Not on this issue, but on another one, I ran into the same problem. So I ended up calling the restaurant directly.

We went in December and had no problems with sharing, using our kids credits for our meals (they are not designated to be adult or kids ... just credits), we paid for our DS's out of pocket several times and we were just about able to get what ever we wanted within reason.

Most servers are very good about telling you exactly what you can and cannot have. 99% of the time what you can't have are the "extras" like the special glass or the "add ons". If we were able to get something special we took it as a treat!

The only "stinky" places were at DTD ... but as they are not run by WDW they don't really care as much.

WDWO

I am going with my daughter in September who is 3 and am hoping to share meals with her. It seems absurd to get a full meal for her every time. I hope I do not run into problems.
-Wendy

We usually shared with ds when he was 3 too! We've only just started having to order him his own meal when we go out for dinner in the last 6 months or so. One thing I like about sharing with him is that he isn't limitted to the usually unhealthy choices on the kids' menu. When we go to buffets, we do not tell him about the kids' part. He has some beef and mashed potatoes or some meat and rice (won't eat veggies... :rolleyes: ).

Having said that, I can't think of a single time in my whole life that dh and I have ordered starters and a main and desert! Last weekend we went out and we split a starter and a desert; even that is rare for us and I was stuffed to the GILLS. (And I'm a pregnant mama! :hippie: )

So at TS restaurants that aren't buffets, we'll likley order 2 full adult meals and share with Gabe. If there's something one of us really wants that doesn't fit that plan, we'll use the credits. I'm on vacation and hey they're FREE credits for us. I figure if we have to pay oop for a meal at the end of the trip, oh well! :wave2:

Just my .02. :)

Beth :hippie:

We usually shared with ds when he was 3 too! We've only just started having to order him his own meal when we go out for dinner in the last 6 months or so. One thing I like about sharing with him is that he isn't limitted to the usually unhealthy choices on the kids' menu. When we go to buffets, we do not tell him about the kids' part. He has some beef and mashed potatoes or some meat and rice (won't eat veggies.

HEHE Us too. We share with the kid when there's only that kind of stuff on the kid's menu. The one time we didn't, we regretted it. His food stunk anyway and he didn't want to eat it. Why burn a credit for a meal the kid won't eat? Save it and use it for something he will.

Almost positive that the minimum plate charge mentioned earlier is at Rose and Crown. I know that since their outdoor seating is perfect for Illuminations, people were just ordering desert or drinks so they issued a minimum charge policy. I am not sure if this applies all the time or just in the evening before Illuminations. Hope this helps!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter