Input on what I should do with speculative Disney trip...

They don't have good reason to drop prices. Their resorts are probably sold as much as they ever are. With travel companies being so relaxed about cancellations due to COVID, there's no reason for anyone to cancel of their own accord yet. I expect most people still plan to go, unless someone tells them they can't.

Once Disney can see the full picture, then they can figure out exactly what needs to be done to protect their bottom line.
If they are open, then they don't need to do anything regarding their hotels. The cancellation policy is flexible up to 30 days before check in and people have already had well over 30 days to decide if they will feel comfortable at Disney with COVID in play (unless they've been completely ignoring reality). People staying at their hotels will be able to get in to the parks, if they are open. The Disney hotel capacity at Disneyland is under 5% of the park capacity. I'm sure they're spending a lot more time deciding WHO ELSE might get to come play if they open at anything less than 100% capacity

If they're closed, then they refund all their reservations. They don't need to do that until at least a few days before each one. I wouldn't expect discounts until there's some level of predictability.

I guess I’m just surprised that with unemployment nearing 20% there would be so many people dropping $500/night to book the rooms. Members here are obviously not entirely representative of the general public. My job has been stable (though shifted to at home work) and I still feel a little guilty booking for October at DLH. (I also don’t have a family I’m supporting). I would think they would have seen some statistical decline in bookings due to the rough economy, fear of travel down the road, and possibly so much missed school for kids that parents might put off a big fly away trip for awhile.

You also can cancel up till 5 days before arrival for a full refund (I believe, it might be closer than that). So you could be right in that a lot of people are just holding reservations (and tying up $600+ on credit card deposits) just “in case”, but I’m still a little surprised...

I guess I’m just surprised that with unemployment nearing 20% there would be so many people dropping $500/night to book the rooms. Members here are obviously not entirely representative of the general public. My job has been stable (though shifted to at home work) and I still feel a little guilty booking for October at DLH. (I also don’t have a family I’m supporting). I would think they would have seen some statistical decline in bookings due to the rough economy, fear of travel down the road, and possibly so much missed school for kids that parents might put off a big fly away trip for awhile.

You also can cancel up till 5 days before arrival for a full refund (I believe, it might be closer than that). So you could be right in that a lot of people are just holding reservations (and tying up $600+ on credit card deposits) just “in case”, but I’m still a little surprised...
The people who were likely to reserve a room at $500/night are likely not the ones primarily impacted by the economy right now... and everyone who had a reservation from March on has had the option to move their reservation so as each months worth of reservations moved further out in the year it is likely that the booking number just keeps going up. Also several places I have seen recommending an onsite reservations as they would likely have priority if there are significant capacity limitations. So I would bet that there are a LOT of speculative reservations in place for later in the year.

The people who were likely to reserve a room at $500/night are likely not the ones primarily impacted by the economy right now... and everyone who had a reservation from March on has had the option to move their reservation so as each months worth of reservations moved further out in the year it is likely that the booking number just keeps going up. Also several places I have seen recommending an onsite reservations as they would likely have priority if there are significant capacity limitations. So I would bet that there are a LOT of speculative reservations in place for later in the year.

I guess they might not be affected...

I would not be surprised if there are more than 50% bookings right now and The Board ( or whomever) is looking at all the data of the CDC and Florida state recommendations. Who knows , maybe some bookings will have to be cancelled to keep attendance #'s low. I do not think anyone is worried about "new bookings" and how are we going to fill rooms/parks. This all has to play into WHEN DO THE PARKS OPEN?

I had a reservation at DLH in May that was cancelled and I was offered to re-book through December with a $50 credit per night plus 35% off. For the OP asking what the $50 credit can be used for i asked if it was just to use at the hotel and I was told you can use it for merchandise or dining through the Disneyland resort. So in DTD you can use it at WOD and Marcelines and the restaurants and shops in DLH, GCH & PCH and the two parks.

Denial is a powerful thing. I've cancelled a few vacations over the years. Even when I know I'm not going months in advance, I typically don't actually cancel until I'm close to losing a deposit. I hold out hope until the last minute possible.

The statistics are very likely unclear, and most of Disneyland's guests are "locals" anyway. Even if unemployment is higher than what it was in 2009 (when 50% off discount codes were fairly common) the stimulus payments, extra unemployment benefits, and widespread waivers of immediate responsibility (mortgages, student loans etc) are unprecedented variables.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!