Insomnia

A. Mara Ziwadie

Mouseketeer
I'm coping with the pain of insomnia. I usually fall asleep, but wake up repeatedly. Often for grueling periods of time. Recently, my legs have felt still and agitated; they sometimes pain slightly. I toss and turn. A night where I slept better, makes the next day hopeful. But then, sleeping will go "back to being worse." Anyone have any unique tips? I can't take any sleeping medication because of side effects (it either doesn't work for me, or makes me very tired and cranky the next day).

Thank you.

Last edited:
I struggle with insomnia also. I also have pain in legs at night. I find that sometimes a short (15 min) hot bath with epsom salt can help. Or I rub on castor oil and cover it with a heating pad.

Im sorry and hope you find some relief

I struggle with insomnia also. I also have pain in legs at night. I find that sometimes a short (15 min) hot bath with epsom salt can help. Or I rub on castor oil and cover it with a heating pad.

Im sorry and hope you find some relief

Thank you very much. I hope you find some relief also. I appreciate the kind words. I feel I had some positive progress this weekend, but don't want to jinx myself; so I won't go into detail.

Op i also hope you get responses to your post

I suffer from it also but have no answers

Sometimes I leave the tv on in the bedroom for background noise
There are times it has helped but not that often

Good sleep is what we all need

Sometimes a room fan helps (the noise it makes). They make apps to imitate sound (nature sounds, like rain, sound of the ocean, crickets), but those don't help me. Sometimes the fan can be too cold depending on the temperature of the house. I should note for any readers who may not know: with insomnia, you can still sleep at some point during the night. You have insomnia when you wake up repeatedly, or get, say 3 hours of broken sleep, or just can't get enough of a good night's sleep (at the very least, 6 hours of full sleep). Depends on the person.

This will sound crazy. But last year I had some heath issues and went on an anti inflammatory grain free diet. I had a couple surprising results, one was that my insomnia stopped. I have mostly stuck with the eating plan, but when I drift off and eat more regular foods (rice, wheat) symptoms come back, including insomnia. I then will cut them out and a few days later I'm sleeping through the night. I know everyone is different though. But I thought is was worth a mention.

Best wishes. I hope you find some relief.

I suffered a bout of insomnia a few years ago. It was madness. So I empathize immensely.
My neurologist suggested I review m "sleep hygiene".
Meaning the overall environment where I'm sleeping. This is what we did and it worked for me after about a week.
I drink a glass of lukewarm water before bed.
We removed the tv.
Sleep and sex only in the bedroom.
No reading or eating etc.
My sheets are 800 TC Egyptian cotton, No blends.
I wash my sheets without any fragrance what so ever once per week no exceptions.
We keep a fan running for white noise.
The sleeping temp is about 65 year round. And I cool my room well prior to sleep.
I don't eat anything 3-4 hours before bedtime.
Limit alcohol especially within the few hours of bedtime.
All cotton lightweight t-shirt or tank for sleeping.
I have a good size aloe vera plant on bedside table, is good for air quality.
I also use Aveda Stress Relief composition oil roller every single night on my wrists, across my chest and a tiny dab under my nose.
It took a week or so, but I follow this to a T, even when traveling, and so far it's been working for me for the last 3 years.
I tried melatonin. But it was useless. And I refused prescription meds due to the side effects and half life.

Good luck. I know it's a maddening situation to be in. I empathize completely.

I take GABA 750mg, have Alexa play Ocean Waves. If I wake up in the middle of the night I have Alexa play Ocean Waves again. If I don't get back to sleep I ask Alexa to play a meditation. Once in awhile if I am agitated about something I might take a Melatonin 3mg also. I don't think I have insomnia but I rarely sleep more than 5 hours per night. My legs bothered me for a few months a couple of years ago, finally determined it was the diet coke toward the end of the day. No issues since then, knock on wood. I hope you get some ideas that work for you, good luck.

This will sound crazy. But last year I had some heath issues and went on an anti inflammatory grain free diet. I had a couple surprising results, one was that my insomnia stopped. I have mostly stuck with the eating plan, but when I drift off and eat more regular foods (rice, wheat) symptoms come back, including insomnia. I then will cut them out and a few days later I'm sleeping through the night. I know everyone is different though. But I thought is was worth a mention.

Best wishes. I hope you find some relief.

What exactly -can- you eat on that diet? :crazy2: And that's not crazy, btw. I think this kind of diet ties in with the Puleo Diet, though I could be wrong. I certainly have heard of it.

Last edited:
I take GABA 750mg, have Alexa play Ocean Waves. If I wake up in the middle of the night I have Alexa play Ocean Waves again. If I don't get back to sleep I ask Alexa to play a meditation. Once in awhile if I am agitated about something I might take a Melatonin 3mg also. I don't think I have insomnia but I rarely sleep more than 5 hours per night. My legs bothered me for a few months a couple of years ago, finally determined it was the diet coke toward the end of the day. No issues since then, knock on wood. I hope you get some ideas that work for you, good luck.

Do you feel the GABA supplement works?

I suffered a bout of insomnia a few years ago. It was madness. So I empathize immensely.
My neurologist suggested I review m "sleep hygiene".
Meaning the overall environment where I'm sleeping. This is what we did and it worked for me after about a week.
I drink a glass of lukewarm water before bed.
We removed the tv.
Sleep and sex only in the bedroom.
No reading or eating etc.
My sheets are 800 TC Egyptian cotton, No blends.
I wash my sheets without any fragrance what so ever once per week no exceptions.
We keep a fan running for white noise.
The sleeping temp is about 65 year round. And I cool my room well prior to sleep.
I don't eat anything 3-4 hours before bedtime.
Limit alcohol especially within the few hours of bedtime.
All cotton lightweight t-shirt or tank for sleeping.
I have a good size aloe vera plant on bedside table, is good for air quality.
I also use Aveda Stress Relief composition oil roller every single night on my wrists, across my chest and a tiny dab under my nose.
It took a week or so, but I follow this to a T, even when traveling, and so far it's been working for me for the last 3 years.
I tried melatonin. But it was useless. And I refused prescription meds due to the side effects and half life.

Good luck. I know it's a maddening situation to be in. I empathize completely.

I'm surprised you didn't mention having blackout curtains (keeping all light out of the room). Thanks for the post!

I'm surprised you didn't mention having blackout curtains (keeping all light out of the room). Thanks for the post!

Actually,we do have room darkening drapes. I know it seems like a lot of "stuff", but it worked for me. And I was really desperate for a solution, I was ready to do anything!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!