Inspired by best tips; What tips have you recieved that were pointless?

For years when we have gone anywhere with the kids, (now grown), we always carried the backpack. A HUGE one!! It had everything that I could think we might possibly have to have. First-aid kit, ponchos, snacks, water or pouch drinks, etc. We (DH and I) would take turns carrying the darn thing. Thinking back on it, I think that we might have used something out of that backpack once or twice the many trips we took. After reading some of the comments here, I have decided to go with a small back. It is one that has just two strings to go over the shoulder and I am only going to carry the wallet, autograph books and pens, hand sanitizer, and wet washcloths!! Going to save my shoulders this trip!! :banana:

For me, staying onsite is SO much better. Sure, you can stay offsite cheaper and get a bigger room. But after two trips where we stayed offsite and I drove through what seemed like endless construction and horrible traffic every morning and evening, not to mention getting constantly lost trying to find my way back and forth (the construction made it very tough), we stayed onsite.

Why do I love it?
1. EMH. We've been in AK when it was open in the evening and felt like we were the only people in the park! We got to do the rides as many times over as we wanted and had a fabulous time. We've also been able to do something like 5 or 6 rides in MK in that first EMH hour - and then go to another park for the rest of the day.

2. Wake up calls from Mickey Mouse! Okay, not a huge deal, but the kids love it.

3. Not having to worry about driving home at night when I'm tired, my blood sugar is low, and the hotel is hard to find. If you take your time leaving the park (do a little shopping) the bus lines are smaller and you're more likely to get a seat. Or leave half an hour early. Then you can just relax while somebody else finds your hotel for you. I love it.

Teresa

I don't do the antiperspirant on my feet. Instead I wear liner socks (thin, nylon/lycra socks. Brandname is usually something like Coolmax.) under my regularly (hiking) socks. But, then, I also do Disney at Thanksgiving time (or at least my last three or four trips have been that time of year) and I wear hiking boots (comfort, stability, keep my feet warm on cool evenings).

I always bring a backpack into the parks with me. But, then, I'm seldom without a backpack in daily life, so it's not a big deal for me. Having a pack allows me to bring and/or remove layers of clothing as needed (again, see note about doing Disney at Thanksgiving). I do try to double up (my light jacket is a waterproof/breathable shell that, along with a light weight fleece and some waterproof/breathable pants get me through just about anything the weather can throw at me). The biggest problem for me is convincing my family that my pack is not their pack (I'm single and do Disney with my family, my sister, BIL and their two young kids). The general rule is "you put something in that's bigger or heavier than a park map, you help carry it". And, most of the time, that works. I do carry a fairly small pack, so that limits the amount and weight of stuff I can carry.

I do bring food into the parks, generally snacks and sometimes lunch. But, here's the thing, it's stuff that I want to eat. I don't generally eat a lot of junk food or even a lot of prepackaged/processed food at home. So, having poptarts and wheat thins, beef jerkey and especially M&Ms and Hersey's miniatures are almost as good as Mickey Bars and Dole whips (and will at least get me through morning snack and somethign sweet after meals). I don't know how well that would work with younger kids, but it's something to think about.
I also prefer apples to french fries with my meals. So, if we're doing counter service, I'll often get just a burger or something and then supplement it with an apple and something sweet from my pack. Saves money and generally I'm happier.

I carry a Brita bottle with a filter. The wide mouth makes it easy to fill up at a water fountain or rest room and the filter helps with the taste. But, again, I also use a Brita filter on my water bottle I use at work, so I'm used to the taste. For meals, sometimes I carry some powdered drink mix to be added to a glass of ice water.

Generally, I prefer not to take a break back at the room during the day. My sister's kids are good about napping in the stroller. Plus, they don't get up as early as the 'rents and me. M&D and I are usually at the park when it opens and get fastpasses and do the cool rides we (okay, it's usually me, except Jungle Cruise, that one is one of Mom's favorites) want to before the crowds get big. By that time, it's time for morning snack while waiting for the rest of the family to arrive. For a break during the day I'm usually good with a nice, calm ride or show that I can nap through in the midafternoon. Universe of Energy, Hall of Presidents, waiting for Festival of the Lion King, all great times for naps. My parents are also prone to napping during shows. Mom is convinced she's never seen all of Hall of Presidents in one sitting. But, I can also sleep just about anywhere and generally only need a 20-30 minute "powernap" to be recharged and ready to go again. To me, it makes more sense to do that than to spend the hour+ that it can take for round trip transportation to the room.

I can see not pre-buying non-Disney souveniers. What my sister does (and her kids are 2 and 5 at this point) is bring the souveniers from previous trips. Yes, it's the same light-up Buzz Lightyear that they bought three years ago and that the kids play with at home regularly. But, with a little cleaning and a fresh set of batteries, her kids are just as excited about it as if they had gotten something new.

I always bring something with me to do during lines/long waits for shows or parades. For lines, I like a yo-yo. For longer waits, I have a book or something else to read (often on my palm pilot). A little matchbox car or two or maybe a plastic dino lets me amuse myself (yes, I'm 30. What's your point?) and means I can help entertain my nephews as well. Someone also mentioned little things of bubbles. I hadn't thought about that, but have a few wedding bubble containers around and I might bring some with my this time.

Teresa Pitman said:
For me, staying onsite is SO much better. Sure, you can stay offsite cheaper and get a bigger room. But after two trips where we stayed offsite and I drove through what seemed like endless construction and horrible traffic every morning and evening, not to mention getting constantly lost trying to find my way back and forth (the construction made it very tough), we stayed onsite.

Why do I love it?
1. EMH. We've been in AK when it was open in the evening and felt like we were the only people in the park! We got to do the rides as many times over as we wanted and had a fabulous time. We've also been able to do something like 5 or 6 rides in MK in that first EMH hour - and then go to another park for the rest of the day.

2. Wake up calls from Mickey Mouse! Okay, not a huge deal, but the kids love it.

3. Not having to worry about driving home at night when I'm tired, my blood sugar is low, and the hotel is hard to find. If you take your time leaving the park (do a little shopping) the bus lines are smaller and you're more likely to get a seat. Or leave half an hour early. Then you can just relax while somebody else finds your hotel for you. I love it.

Teresa

This is exactly why I stay onsite now. My husband and I stayed offsite for our honeymoon and we hated, or should I say DH hated ;) , driving back and forth everynight. I'm glad to hear about the night EMH at AK it's our second favorite park and it seems we can never get enough time there. I second the vote for WDW transportation. I love being driven around. When on vacation, I like to park the car and leave it parked, or should I say DH likes to leave it parked.

I didn't like the mister fans as much as I thought I would. The first day (it was very hot!) it was great, but after that, it was just one more heavy thing to lug around. Plus, even though it has a shoulder strap to help carry it, it was hard to manage on rides because it flopped around. On rides like the Rock and Roller Coaster (and California Screaming at California Adventure) where there are inversions, you don't want something that's going to move around freely!! Also, my friend kept getting irritated because she kept getting misted by accident.

This year, I'm going to try to use one of the small battery-operated fans without the mister. It's compact and should work much better for me. I also have a small folding fan that I might bring too (got it at a local import store that carries lots of international items). It was only 99 cents!!

we didn't like the misting fans either. They were very heavy and bulky. we also never used the water bottle holders we brought for the kids. My children really are not big drinkers so a beverage at meal time and a ice cream or minnie bar were sufficent and again heavy and bulky.

I would love to ditch the big back pack this trip, each kids wears a butt bag with autograph book/pen, rain poncho, a couple snack etc. I guess we just put the camera, camcorder , misters, water bottles and our ponchos in it.

We did like having peanut butter crackers and granola bars handy my DD just doen't like fast food so she would eat a pack of crackers pick at my lunch and share my drink for many lunches. we also liked eating the granola bars when sitting waiting for a show to start.

ZoZo said:
I didn't like the mister fans as much as I thought I would. The first day (it was very hot!) it was great, but after that, it was just one more heavy thing to lug around. Plus, even though it has a shoulder strap to help carry it, it was hard to manage on rides because it flopped around. On rides like the Rock and Roller Coaster (and California Screaming at California Adventure) where there are inversions, you don't want something that's going to move around freely!! Also, my friend kept getting irritated because she kept getting misted by accident.

This year, I'm going to try to use one of the small battery-operated fans without the mister. It's compact and should work much better for me. I also have a small folding fan that I might bring too (got it at a local import store that carries lots of international items). It was only 99 cents!!

We didn't like the misty fans very much either. We also had several small personal fans with us. The best small fan had two hard plastic bades that folded down when not in use.and used only 1 AA battery. It gave off the best breeze. At Fantasmic we even passed it around to strangers who thought it the best. We had a couple with foam blades and they didn't work very well.

We never did use our misting fan. The first day (AK) we forgot it. On the second day,we were one family away from meeting Mickey in the Judge's Tent when DH realized that the batteries were dead in his camera flash. DS14 brilliantly remembered that we had just added batteries to the misting fan, so they were taken out pronto and put in the camera flash. We forgot to add batteries the next day, then it rained the rest of the time, so we got misted by mother nature.

kelleigh1 said:
The buying "souvenirs" before you go to Disney really doesn't work. If you check the tags on anything you buy at WDW, it says Walt Disney World on it. And if you bought it at the Disney Store, it says "Disney Store". You can't really get away with it.
But kids don't know this, and since THEY RECEIVED the item at WDW, TO THEM it is a reminder of the trip. It makes much more sense than buying $$$ items (often on a credit card) that will be loved for about 15 minutes. I banned all souveniers years ago, and it was a good choice.

I love these "pointless" tips...some of which I took to heart during my first visit. I would have to say that the most pointless tip I followed was the "Bring your own snacks into the parks".....We show up at MK on our 1st morning and I look like a sherpa with all the food & juice boxes packed in a backpack!! Mid-morning I bring the kids to a nice shady spot and take out my bounty of healthy food and treats that I gingerly packed after months of planning exactly what I thought they would want to eat, and you know what I got?? I got "I want a turkey leg" or "I want a Mickey Bar", or "I want somthing from Mrs. Potts Cupboard" . So, for us, its just easier to do snacks in the parks. I still bring snacks, I just keep them in the room for late night -munchie attacks.

By the way, we ALWAYS do a mid-afternoon break even with our kids being 15,14, & 7. We go back to the resort (on-site) for lunch and a swim...it saves my bunch from theme park overload and from withering in the heat. We then go back to the parks right before dinner time. 34 DAYS TO GO!!!!!!! :banana:

Someone gave me a tip the other day (not knowing I've been practically every year since opening) that made me think of this thread, so I thought I'd revive it...

Wait until the kids are older. Wrong! Why would I do that? :confused3 It's not :banana: a once in a life time trip. And my kids have enjoyed the trip as mush at 18 as they did at 6 months and every age in between. The trips they remember the most were the trips they took at 3 and 4 years of age. The trips that made them fall in love with WDW the most were the trips from about 15 months to 4 years--when it was most "real" to them. And honestly, say what you want about strollers, but I miss having one to help carry stuff.

MrsPete said:
But kids don't know this, and since THEY RECEIVED the item at WDW, TO THEM it is a reminder of the trip. It makes much more sense than buying $$$ items (often on a credit card) that will be loved for about 15 minutes. I banned all souveniers years ago, and it was a good choice.
That might work for kids who don't care what they get, as long as it has something to do with WDW. But when my child is in a store and sees a souvenir she wants, she couldn't care less that I have a dozen other items waiting back at the hotel - she wants the item she saw in the store that she loved. And I feel the same way. For our family, souvenirs are a reminder of our trip - not a reminder of a trip to Wal-Mart before we went to WDW. My daughter will always remember picking out the perfect stuffed husky in Canada, or the big pen we bought right before we went to a character meal. It doesn't matter whether it was cheap or expensive - she picked it out at WDW, and that's what matters to her.

homedad said:
I'm curious, of thse of you who said afternoon breaks were worthless how old were your kids? I am planning them for my 4 and 2 year olds. Thanks!

My kids have gone every year since almost birth. We have never gone back to the room specifically for a nap. Usually when they were tired they'd just conk out in the stroller. I think you just have to judge what's best for your child. At the MK they have a baby care center. I've heard parents say they use this spot to give their kids some quiet time then go back out.

1) "You can skip park X" I've heard AK, MGM, and Epcot...AK probably most often. We love each park in it's own way, and wouldn't think of skipping any of them

2) "WDW and Disneyland are the same thing" Of course...dead wrong.

3) "Staying off-site is not magical and too inconvenient." There's nothing magical about stuffing 4 people into a small room. We like a large hotel room with 2 separate bedrooms. The driving, traffic, etc. isn't a problem for us. We get back to the hotel faster than taking Disney transportation on-site, and it's much more relaxing. Cruising through WDW with the top down beats stuck on a loud, crowded, smelly bus. In fact, even when we do stay on-site we always drive to the parks- much more convenient.

4) "You must plan out your day to the detail" Not sure if this one is still a common tip, but I know it was real popular at one point. Runnnnnn!!!!!!!!! according to the schedule we're supposed to be at Buzz Lightyear in 5 minutes!!! NO THANKS!! I don't care if we miss something, I'm not going to be tied to an anal schedule on vacation.

The snacks thing seems to be a popular debate. We bring a backpack no matter what for camera, clothes, souvenirs, etc. So as long as we have it, why not bring some snacks and frozen water bottles? We still buy snacks inside, but it helps cut down on the price tag of constant snacking.

jackskellingtonsgirl said:
I was really worried that I couldn't find an over-the-door hanging shoe holder to keep my clutter off of the sink. But during our trip I didn't find our sink to be THAT cluttered. It was fine.

LOL I found the same thing. I DID bring one, but the bathroom at OKW is, um , gi-normous!!! So, we used the over-the-door shoe holder for .... (gasp) SHOES! :rotfl2: With the 5 of us, and sneakers & sandals for all, it actually helped a lot.

missypie said:
Just goes to show you how different we all our. No one in our family had any problems with the water.

Doesn't bother me either. I dont' bother with a water bottle. Just stop at a water fountain when I'm thirsty...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter