Inspired by JimMIA.... DVC points for Katrina

Laurabearz

I cant load my bobbin!
I really shouldnt start this thread, since I dont want to be the one to coordinate it all, but would if needed, but would any of you be willing to donate points towards a weeks stay, then sell that reservation, and donate the money to the Red Cross (or any other Katrina fund)

Heck, we could even have a reservation to help the pets hurt and lost from Katrina, if some desire...

If we did something like OKW in low season, a studio is 8 points a night. Just 7 or 8 members each donating a 8-12 points, could raise a couple of hundred.

Thoughts...

Had to add.... maybe we could have a chat with the Timeshare Store and get them to match what we raise with the reservation :teeth:

I have to agree with others on another thread that it seems donating $ would be a quicker solution to this tragedy in terms of getting supplies, food, etc. So I will vote no, I would rather donate money than have to have someone coordinate selling a vacation in order to give the profits to charity. It seems like it would take too much time, etc. and these people need help now. I do worry about all the lost/abandoned:dog2::dog::pug::paw: down there and feel so badly for them.

First of all, Laura, thanks for volunteering to take this on. It's a huge job and not many would do what you've volunteered to do. ;)

Second, my intent with the donate points poll was never to recommend that instead of donating money. I've worked more than I would have liked to in hurricane recovery, and by far the best thing anyone can donate is cold, hard cash. A lot of people want to collect teddy bears, kids books, pet food, etc, and send it to the impacted areas, but unless you've worked one of these things, you have no idea how much of a burden those shipments are on the recovery effort. In Andrew, we got to the point where we just turned the trucks around and sent them back.

Third, with regard to pets -- there is, and has been, an ongoing animal rescue effort. Some people think applying resources to pets is less-valuable than some other efforts, but it IS a necessary function in a hurricane recovery. Forget the humanity of it, it's an important public health problem and the ASPCA and veternary groups do a huge service by doing the animal rescues. You'd just be amazed what they find!

JimMIA said:
Third, with regard to pets -- there is, and has been, an ongoing animal rescue effort. Some people think applying resources to pets is less-valuable than some other efforts, but it IS a necessary function in a hurricane recovery. Forget the humanity of it, it's an important public health problem and the ASPCA and veternary groups do a huge service by doing the animal rescues. You'd just be amazed what they find!
Very true, Jim. We are getting requests for displaced Airedales. If they have a way to get them here, we will house one or two, but transportation is a big issue. We have a few Airedale club members working on that down there. The breed club rescues are the ones to see in the case of dogs. NOt sure about other pets.

I would be willing to do something moneywise for the animals in my "Buddy's" and "Buster's" name. It's easy to forget about the animals with the horrible condition of their owners. (We've already made a sizeable donation for them.) Can someone find out if there is a fund for these displaced "Katrina" animals?

Tom :dog2:

I've been wondering what happened to this thread. I don't know where to go or where to look anymore!

Whatever you all decide to do is OK, I'll be glad to donate points or cash, anything within reason of course.

ColoradoBelle1- I hope your sister can find out about the animals and where to donate so it goes specifically for the "Katrina" animals.

You guys are the best!! I hope one day we'll be a community again. It's a bit like being misplaced, not knowing where you'll find your friends and family or where to look for them.

Tom

I don't know that there is much sense in donating points, unless there is a mechanism through DVC to receive the points and administer everything else. Obviously, individual members could rent their points and do whatever they want with the money.

Although I was interested in trying to see if we could do something through DVC, clearly cash donations to hurricane relief organizations and charities are better and more useful, and I'm sure most of us have already done that.

As far as pets, there are a lot of threads over on the Katrina board about pets. I haven't read them, but there is hopefully some good info there. I do know that ASPCA has had teams of people in NO rescuing pets for several days, and I'm sure there are other good organizations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter