Interested in hearing about our timeshare "update" and all the DVC bull they tossed?

Disney1fan2002

<font color=red>Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to
My Dh and I own a timeshare on Cape Cod. You should know, we went to see it after touring DVC 9 years ago. We made the huge mistake of telling them we liked DVC, but was afraid we couldn't afford it. Well, they zoomed in on that info like a fly on a horse's butt. We bought this timeshare with all the expectations of what they promised, first and foremost was the ability to exchange to Disney. NOT. The resort is only a one bedroom. It does not have the trading power for Disney.

Anyway, we used it all these years to trade out to the Poconos and what- not. Last year, I took the kids to the resort for the 1st time, and they loved it, so we are going to try to book April school vacation every year. It is close to home. The resort is switching over to the points system, and offered to give us an "owner update." Basically, they want us to pay to upgrade to the points. DH and I went there knowing it would be over $3000. ( from what another owner paid last year). We like the timeshare the way it is, so we were going to stand firm and say "thanks, but no thanks."

They probably thought they had the same naive couple from 9 years ago...the stuff coming out of their mouths was almost comical. Here is a little dialogue after they found out we were already familiar with the points system because we owned DVC:

Sales Rep (SR): Oh so you are familiar with the points system? Now, let me ask you, Disney is a right to use contract that expires, correct?

US: Yes, but it has many years left. We're not concerned.

SR: I was talking to a woman who owns DVC, and she said she only has about 10 years left on her contract.

US::lmao: :lmao: :lmao: (ok, not really, but we wanted to) We actually said: That's not possible. The drop date for the earliest DVC contract, I mean the 1st person to buy on day ONE is Jan. 31, 2042. There is no DVC contract expiring in 10 years. Also, the newer DVC resorts have a 50 year contract that start expiring in 2056. we will be 88 and 89 years old, like we said, we are not worried about not having it for "life"

SR: (kind of shaky now) Gee, I wonder what that woman was talking about.

I looked at Dh and raised an eyebrow.

The SR then started talking about price. He wasn't going to ask what we paid for DVC, but he "knows" it was very expensive. After two hours of listening to him, he finally gets to the price. The points are selling for $167/point. that is for someone walking on off the street to a sales office looking for points, but because we are already owners, and just want to upgrade, we are getting a huge discount. DH asked me why I didn't tell him how much more they were than DVC. I told him why ruin it for the next DVC owner to hear this line of bull?

I won't bore you with the rest. Long story short, we DID upgrade, because it really is a better program than what we have now. More flexibility, ect. But, between Dh and I not falling for their line of CRAP, they couldn't be more happier to be rid of us. I don't think thay had anyone challenge them as much as we did. especially when they started the DVC comparision! We ended up with $500 off the price of the upgrade, after they told us they could do nothing about the price. We got FOUR 3 night/ 4 day getaways, a 3 day cruise, and a free weekend at our resort. Also, they were going to give us a $40 dinner certificate, but turned it into $60.00.

First, there are some real sharks out there. Sounds like your's was actually pretty tame comparatively. Second, you upgraded to a good program if you learn it and use it. You will not be successful with what I assume is RCI points if you don't put yourself ahead of the next member. And for an upgrade that only cost them about $199 plus the sales commission, they still did OK.

It is interesting how little many timeshare salespeople know about timeshares including major competition and at times, their own product. But at a given time it's hard to know whether they're just playing dumb or really that ill informed, I'd say it's usually about 50/50.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter