International Driving License

Mikeyuk

Earning My Ears
I was reading an article about needing to apply for an International Driving License (IDP) to drive in Europe after brexit. However, as I read into it, quite a few sites (including the Post Office) are saying that you need an IDP to drive in the USA (though some say you don't). I have been to the USA many times and never got an IDP, but we are going in November and I am wondering, have things changed? Do we need to get one. Any advice?
Thanks
Mike

Ok ,thanks for that info, what concerned me most was that the UK Post Office website is saying we need one and that is the place where we would get them from and should have current/correct info. I guess for the price, and ease of getting one, It might be just worth it

Post Office has always said to get one for some strange reason, maybe because they are making money from it.
Your choice but many of us travel to the US multiple times a year without getting one. The car rental companies wouldn't allow us to take out cars if it was a requirement.

yes that's true, and i've been many times and never had one, I was just concerned something may have changed. Thanks for you help :-)

yes that's true, and i've been many times and never had one, I was just concerned something may have changed. Thanks for you help :-)

Went to america in July this year and did not require one.

Think the post office maybe relying on old news that never happened.

You could always call the US embassy in London or even a car rental firm in the USA if you want to be 100% sure.

After several experiences, I’ll say International Driver’s Licenses are (mostly) useless documents. I’ve gotten them for travel in New Zealand, South Africa, Morocco, Fiji and more.

First, getting it at the post office illustrates how useless it is. It is not tied to your driving experience (eg. No test or education on foreign driving).

Secondly, no one needs to see it or even knows what it is.

Having said all that, I can see the potential and will continue getting them. The document looks official (with your photo and a stamp) and explains, in every language, that you are licensed and able to drive in that country.

That could be invaluable if you are involved in a collision where you don’t speak the language. The common person will demand to see identification and will only be familiar with their own license card.

Now... this being the UK Forum, I assume English is your first language. So, you will be fine in the USA. Everyone that matters (police or car rentals) will understand foreign licenses. If something else happens (collision) you can talk to the other party in English.

In regards to the EU, I have no experience but I can’t believe Brexit will suddenly make a UK Drivers License an unrecognizable document. You are still legally allowed to drive in any country in the 1968 Vienna Convention (see attached link for a complete list of countries).

“An IDP is not required if the driver's domestic licence meets the requirements of the 1968 convention; the domestic licence can be used directly in a foreign jurisdiction that is a party to that convention.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter