Introduce 2/3 yr old to Disney World video?

Carlymouse

Mouseketeer
My husband and I are surprising my daughter with an invitation from Mickey Mouse to join him in Disney world for her Christmas present. She is close to 3 years old. She knows from the movies that we watch that the castle that appears is where all the Disney characters live, but she doesn't know that it's a place that people can actually visit. Wondering if anyone has any creative ideas for how to introduce her to the concept that it is a place that one can go to. I've seen in other posts that people have used the Disneyland sing along video that is available on YouTube now, and someone else used a Magic Kingdom book from Amazon. I am going to check those out, but I wanted to ask everyone here so that I don't miss any good ideas.

Does she watch Disney Junior? They advertise a lot..that’s how my children found out about it lol. You could also show some of the Disney planning videos straight from Disney.

This recently published book looks cool, but I couldn't find any reviews. Anyone own it or have seen it?
Does she watch Disney Junior? They advertise a lot..that’s how my children found out about it lol. You could also show some of the Disney planning videos straight from Disney.
She watches Disney junior shows, but a lot of the time it's pre-recorded so we don't see ads. But I could definitely look for those ads knowing that they are around. I've thought about looking into the planning videos as well. Earlier this year I had them on a DVD that she found and scratched up because she thought it was a toy at the time. lol

We took my 21 month old to Disney Paris last November, without ever showing her anything but Disney Jr shows and she was absolutely in love with everything when we got there. So I would say there no need to introduce her, just let the magic happen when you get there.

There is an older Disney Sing Along Songs video called "Disneyland Fun" that you can usually get on Amazon for under $10.

While it is another park and people's attire is a little dated (early 90s maybe?), it does show the actual characters in the park, along with some rides, which are very similar. It has the characters interacting with kids, and it really helped prepare my son when he was 2 because it showed the characters not in cartoon form.

I was also going to suggest Disney Jr. programming because they do a lot of WDW advertising during the commercial breaks as a way to market to families with preschoolers. The Disney sing along DVDs that pp mentioned are also a nice introduction to the characters. I agree that the videos are dated (from the 90’s) but they’re great because they feature the live characters as they appear in the parks. We have the beach party one which was filmed at the WDW water parks and the campout one which was filmed at Fort Wilderness. You can order these on Amazon.

There is an older Disney Sing Along Songs video called "Disneyland Fun" that you can usually get on Amazon for under $10.

While it is another park and people's attire is a little dated (early 90s maybe?), it does show the actual characters in the park, along with some rides, which are very similar. It has the characters interacting with kids, and it really helped prepare my son when he was 2 because it showed the characters not in cartoon form.
This is on Youtube for free! My 3 year old loves it. Then when she gets bored with it, she picks another youtube video to watch. She's seen all the welcome shows, princess coronations, ride videos. etc. I think she's prepared!

This is on Youtube for free! My 3 year old loves it. Then when she gets bored with it, she picks another youtube video to watch. She's seen all the welcome shows, princess coronations, ride videos. etc. I think she's prepared!

I keep forgetting about You Tube :laughing:. You can watch videos of the character meals, character meet and greets, rides, etc.

I second this ^^^^

My son loooooved this video at 3 and 4 years old. He still likes it and he's 7. We just watched it a couple of weeks ago and he said "I want to be riding big thunder mountain so much right now!"
There are some Roger Rabbit parts in it bc I think the video was made around the time the movie came out. Obviously, you don't see Roger in the parks much these days, but the rest of it is mainly classic Disney characters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!