Is 3rd Time Really The Charm? - A Junior Family UDA Nationals Pre-trip Report!

kimberwee

DIS Veteran
AAAAAANNNNDD we're back for another season of Nationals Planning Fun!

For those who are just tuning in, I am Kimberwee. My DH and I have a beautiful teen daughter who lives and breathes dance/pom. There's a ton about us in our other reports. DD is having a great Junior year with her High School Pom Team, as they make their way to UDA Nationals at DW next week! This gorgeous girl has a lot to be proud of, as the team was named BACK-TO-BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONS IN GAME DAY!! Now, we just need that National Title that they've come so close to grabbing over the last couple of years!​

Yukon Pom0959.jpg

Now that we have been to Nationals for the last 2 years, I feel like I know the ropes and what to expect, so I didn't worry about making lots of plans or overthinking this like someone who is used to planning a proper Disney Vacation...

ON WITH THE SHOW:
When & Where
Devils in the Details
Getting Ready to Go!!!​

Last edited:
When & Where:
Dates - January 31st through February 5th, 2024
Resort - Coronado Springs

Soooo excited to be back @ Coronado Springs! This time, DH and I were not able to get the hotel package through UDA (they sold out much more quickly this year than previous years) and are in the tower. TBH, I think we will enjoy it more. Previously, there were a lot of things we'd wanted to do in that area of the resort that we just didn't feel like walking over for last year. The only thing we will miss is the bus transportation (which is only available to those booked with the hotel package) and the close proximity to the team. The proximity comes in handy when your child needs a break or a shower and doesn't want to wait for other girls to be done... 🤣

The Devil's In The Fine Details...

Planning, or NOT planning, for UDA is always a struggle for me 🤣 Our family goes to DW 1-2x/year and are DVC members, so we know what makes for a great Disney trip. These Nationals trips are all about competition and what fits in around each event.

UDA released their order of competition and event block schedules. Here's what we are looking towards:

Friday, February 2nd - Game Day Prelims & Pom Prelims both in the evening
Saturday, February 3rd - Game Day Semis in early morning & Pom Semis in late evening
Sunday, February 4th - Game Day Finals in early morning & Pom Semis in late evening...awards start @ 9

This is really an amazing schedule and will give the team plenty of time to get rested and ready between rounds. HOWEVER, the planner in me sees these large chunks of time and wants to make plans...😏

Here's what I know...

Wednesday
is a travel day - we leave REALLY early and get to MCO at 1. After getting to Coronado and settled, the team has some free time until they have to report back to coaches by 9...MY SUGGESTION TO DD: Grab a quick lunch at Coronado, hop bus to Animal Kingdom for EE and FOP...THEN, hop a bus to MK for pictures and a ride on Tron

Thursday is a practice day for the team, followed by a dinner @ Disney Springs. Parents all typically visit/enjoy Epcot for the day and then head to Disney Springs with the team

Friday is the beginning of competition for the team - honestly, I am thinking of heading to a park but don't know which one, until we have to head to ESPN to watch the team compete. Friday night, after the team is done, parents are heading back to the Dahlia Lounge or 3 Bridges to "decompress"

Saturday is the second day of competition for the team - we will have a huge chunk of time to use and thought about resort hopping. We have to go and pick up some party passes for the event on Sunday night, so we might as well use their transportation to go to MK and catch the monorail to the Polynesian (our home resort) I haven't been to trader sams in a while...*sigh*

Sunday is the final day of competition - again, we will have a huge chunk of time to use...this one might include some time with our girl...so, we will play this one by ear. After awards, we will head over to HS for a private event with UDA and the teams.

Getting Ready to Go!!

In 24 hours, we will be on our way! I am getting excited, but still haven't packed. These trips tend to be easier to pack for than others because the team parents all wear the same school shirt stuff for most of the week.

I'm working today...
Dog has to go for Boarding...
5 other misc errands will fill my evening...

Its going to be a long night

We meet at the airport tomorrow @ 4:30...AM :crazy2:
I will definitely be sleeping on the plane.

Weather in Orlando this week looks about the same as OKC...which is unfortunate. I was looking forward to some warmer weather. Of course, its been so cold here that 74 will probably feel like 94! To bring a bathing suit or not...THAT is the question.

Annnnd, I am finalizing my "unplanned" plans... With the girls wanting to go to Animal Kingdom and then MK tomorrow, I am going to have to log in at the airport and buy our passes for FOP for 4:30pm and then Tron for 7pm. I don't think that we will worry about genie for the day. The wait time for Everest wont be that long with the crowd level we are looking at.

Getting Ready to Go!!

In 24 hours, we will be on our way! I am getting excited, but still haven't packed. These trips tend to be easier to pack for than others because the team parents all wear the same school shirt stuff for most of the week.

I'm working today...
Dog has to go for Boarding...
5 other misc errands will fill my evening...

Its going to be a long night

We meet at the airport tomorrow @ 4:30...AM :crazy2:
I will definitely be sleeping on the plane.

Weather in Orlando this week looks about the same as OKC...which is unfortunate. I was looking forward to some warmer weather. Of course, its been so cold here that 74 will probably feel like 94! To bring a bathing suit or not...THAT is the question.

Annnnd, I am finalizing my "unplanned" plans... With the girls wanting to go to Animal Kingdom and then MK tomorrow, I am going to have to log in at the airport and buy our passes for FOP for 4:30pm and then Tron for 7pm. I don't think that we will worry about genie for the day. The wait time for Everest wont be that long with the crowd level we are looking at.
Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter