Is a 30 day window to buy a waitlisted 25 point contract feasible?coming up with a December

Dean1953

DIS Veteran
i passed ROFR today. I should be a full fledged DVC owner in 3-4 weeks. I purchased a small contract with the intention of adding a 25 point contract direct from Disney, mainly for the perks, especially AP discounts (I know that they could be withdrawn at any time) and possibly another resale contract in the future, probably 25-50 points. I called the DVC agent who was assigned to me last June when I took a tour. I know that they won't sell me 25 points until I am an existing DVC member but I thought that she would at least take my preferences and give me an idea if getting a 25 point contract that had 25 points from 2017 by November 30 was doable. I'm sure that she is under strict rules but she just said to call her back when I own the points and she will see what she can do. The points that I'm buying are December use. I want the points that I buy from Disney to be December points, with 25 points from 2017. From what I understand, November 30 is the last day to do this. So, if I call the DVC agent on November 1 (hopefully sooner), what are the chances of Disney coming up with a December use 25 point contract at one of 4 options that I give them. Should I let them know that if they can't come up with a 25 point contract, I'll look at the options on the resale market. Would Disney even care that much about making a 25 point contract sale? Honestly, if Disney can't make it happen, I'll probably take a 6 month break from searching for any more points.

What resort are you looking For? I have heard that VGF, VGC, and BCV are all difficult to get. Other resorts, especially BLT, SSR, and AKV are easier due to their large sizes.
My guide got me the 25 points the day that I called, but I have heard of others taking 2 months.

Congrats on passing ROFR.

Your guide can't do anything until you are in the system. I'd recommend that you call asap when you get your member number. Depending on the choice of resort your could have a wait. If the contracts DVC has taken during ROFR does not have any points until after dec 2017 when they wont sell until after 12/1 and then you wont get any 2016 points.

Remember that dvc dont need to have just 25 points available before you can by them, they just need 25 minimum as they have the option of splitting up the contracts. Say they take a 100 points contract at AKV then they can split it up in ie. 4 x 25 but still keeping the same UY.

I dont think they care if you buy 25 points resale or retail.

Your 2017 use year begins in December 2017, any points you receive prior to December will be in the 2016 use year and will expire on Dec 1. You will need to get your DVC guide to waive the banking rules for you in order to retain any 2016 points.

From what I've read and been told by the company that sold me the resale points (and previously worked a long time at DVC ), if I find what I want to buy, and it has points that expire even in one day (for me, that would be November 30 on a December use year), they will both post the point to my account and then bank them. I'm not completely set on BLT (my #1choice), so if I give them 3-4 choices, they can probably find something that works. I don't think that I'll mention probably buying a 50 point resale if they can't find something by November 30. I did offer to bring to Orlando from Kansas City as much barbecue as they wanted (hopefully, they are not vegetarian). So, we will see what happens.

From what I've read and been told by the company that sold me the resale points (and previously worked a long time at DVC ), if I find what I want to buy, and it has points that expire even in one day (for me, that would be November 30 on a December use year), they will both post the point to my account and then bank them.

Yes, that's correct, they usually waive banking rules for new purchases. I wasn't sure from reading your initial post if you knew that or not. Good luck!

From what I've read and been told by the company that sold me the resale points (and previously worked a long time at DVC ), if I find what I want to buy, and it has points that expire even in one day (for me, that would be November 30 on a December use year), they will both post the point to my account and then bank them. I'm not completely set on BLT (my #1choice), so if I give them 3-4 choices, they can probably find something that works. I don't think that I'll mention probably buying a 50 point resale if they can't find something by November 30. I did offer to bring to Orlando from Kansas City as much barbecue as they wanted (hopefully, they are not vegetarian). So, we will see what happens.

Fellow Kansas Citian here!

I'm just curious what you plan on doing with 25 points at BLT if your other 25 points are OKW? Even with banking an borrowing 75 points will maybe get you 4 nights in a studio, right? Then combine your stray points with OKW for the next year? Just curious about your strategy.

My experience with direct buy is that by November 1, it is really possible they won't have any Dec UY points to sell you. So many contracts on resale are stripped. They can't give you 2016 points unless they acquired them with 2016 points.

You could call today and ask what they have available in Dec UY for a non member wanting to get in on 50 points. That will give you an idea. If they have none available now, you can waitlist....you might want to do that. You can always turn them down if it comes thru before your membership but then you'd be higher on the list.

It's a long story but I have 30 timeshare weeks banked with a company in the U.K. I am friends with the owner and she was nice enough to make them non expiring. Compared to RCI's exchange fee of $230, she charges $90. That is going to make up the bulk of my exchanges for the next 10-15 years. I'm buying DVC points to add 3 days to the front of the timeshare or 1-2 days at the end. I think that 50-75 point total is going to be enough each year. I did notice an EBay listing over the weekend for 170 points at Boardwalk but is probably going to sell for more than I'm willing to risk on a contract in bankruptcy. You do make a good point about spreading too few points among to many resorts. If I'm just looking for 2 nights during the week, I can probably do that at the 7 month mark. In any event, if im at the point of ownership by November 1 or better, I'll give my DVC agent at least 4 choices for a 25 point contract. If it doesn't happen, I'll hold off doing anything else for at least 6 months.

Yes, that's correct, they usually waive banking rules for new purchases. I wasn't sure from reading your initial post if you knew that or not. Good luck!

I'm in the middle of buying a resale that has 160 unbanked 2016 points that turn into vapor on 12-1-2017. The seller, who was under water on maintenance fees and the mortgage, could not bank them before the sale. Are you suggesting that once I get the deed recorded and DVC knows that the contract is mine, I may be able to get them to retroactively bank the points even though I'm months past the deadline?

I'm in the middle of buying a resale that has 160 unbanked 2016 points that turn into vapor on 12-1-2017. The seller, who was under water on maintenance fees and the mortgage, could not bank them before the sale. Are you suggesting that once I get the deed recorded and DVC knows that the contract is mine, I may be able to get them to retroactively bank the points even though I'm months past the deadline?

Probably not.

I've heard they're flexible with direct new purchases. Like I plan on adding 25 direct Feb UY BLT points in the next couple of months, and they'll bank the 2017 points into 2018 for me. I'm not sure how helpful they'll be with the resale contract.

I highly doubt they would help you out there. They are flexible with direct sales contracts because it helps push more direct sales. It does not help them sell anything to help you out on a resale contracts and it actually benefits them to have you not use those points, as they can then sell those rooms for cash.

Are you suggesting that once I get the deed recorded and DVC knows that the contract is mine, I may be able to get them to retroactively bank the points even though I'm months past the deadline?

I was referring to direct purchases in my previous post, and as others have pointed out already, DVC may not have much of a motivation to assist in the case of resale contracts. In the past DVC did offer a "secret" one-time banking exemption for people who missed the banking deadline, but I don't know if it still exists. However, it never hurts to ask so definitely give it a shot and let us know how it works out. Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm in the middle of buying a resale that has 160 unbanked 2016 points that turn into vapor on 12-1-2017. The seller, who was under water on maintenance fees and the mortgage, could not bank them before the sale. .....(snip).........
Availability between now and 11/30/2017 is so limited that renting a reservation will be nearly impossible. However, since the 2016 points were not banked, you could try offering them for transfer to another member. The receiving member may be able to bank them after transfer or perhaps substitute them for other "still bankable" points tied up in an existing reservation.

Good luck!

If I get a loaded contract direct, I'll expect Disney to Bank the points, even if the date is November 30.

If I get a loaded contract direct, I'll expect Disney to Bank the points, even if the date is November 30.

Of course. That is standard protocol. My guide was on the phone with me on 9/30 letting me know what my options were for available home resorts since my waitlist for Oct UY BWV had not come thru yet and that was the last day for them to bank 2016.

However, my observation / experience was that in July and August Oct UY was widely available for multiple home resorts but by September a waitlist was the norm. That's not to say some people didn't have their waitlist fulfilled sometime in September, but I did not. I'm pretty sure you will be able to get CCV on November 30 for Dec UY, so if you're open to that, don't stress about it.

Personally, I wasn't planning on traveling in my 2017 UY so 2016 points weren't important to me. If I had gotten them, I would have tried renting them, but then I wouldn't be eligible for help with my first reservation (when I actually may need the help getting what I want) so that would have been a trade off.

I hope I'm able to get a 25 point add on for a UY of June for AKV right away and not have to be wait listed.

I got an email from a person that is a tele sales person with DVC. He was assigned to me 2 years ago when I requested some information from DVC. At the time, I assumed that he was the equivalent of a manager and never responded to his emails. After touring at Saratoga Springs last June, I assumed that my agent was the woman who was assigned to me then. I've talked to her several times over the last 4 months about purchasing 25 points direct and she never told me that she wasn't my agent. She is the one who had little interest in putting me on a waitlist before the resale points were in my account.
The tele sales agent assured me that he was and still is my agent. After explaining the situation, he suggested putting me on a waitlist for 50 points at either BLT or OKW. He thought that a December, loaded contract was a long shot before December 1 (many people ahead of me on the waitlist) but would become available very soon after December 1, so, I'll see what happens. Hopefully, I'll get lucky. What I learned was that those in tele sales are more eager to make a sale than those in house agents, who, I guess, primarily deal with people that take the tour.

I got an email from a person that is a tele sales person with DVC. He was assigned to me 2 years ago when I requested some information from DVC. At the time, I assumed that he was the equivalent of a manager and never responded to his emails. After touring at Saratoga Springs last June, I assumed that my agent was the woman who was assigned to me then. I've talked to her several times over the last 4 months about purchasing 25 points direct and she never told me that she wasn't my agent. She is the one who had little interest in putting me on a waitlist before the resale points were in my account.
The tele sales agent assured me that he was and still is my agent. After explaining the situation, he suggested putting me on a waitlist for 50 points at either BLT or OKW. He thought that a December, loaded contract was a long shot before December 1 (many people ahead of me on the waitlist) but would become available very soon after December 1, so, I'll see what happens. Hopefully, I'll get lucky. What I learned was that those in tele sales are more eager to make a sale than those in house agents, who, I guess, primarily deal with people that take the tour.

Telesales guides are often seasoned guides who are in it for the long haul, many work from home.

:earsboy: Bill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!