Is a FastPass for Rivers of Light Necessary?

• Turksmom

DIS Veteran
    I strongly advise against the FP. We were there right after the new show opened and got FP for the second showing of the night. The CM's put everyone in one little section with the instructions to keep moving closer together. Then they let in the "regular" guests- only about 2 dozen of them, who were able to sit anywhere with plenty of space to spread out, while we FP fools couldn't even lift our arms.

Robo

1971 Castle in the Hub: Your lights are on!
    I strongly advise against the FP. We were there right after the new show opened and got FP for the second showing of the night. The CM's put everyone in one little section with the instructions to keep moving closer together. Then they let in the "regular" guests- only about 2 dozen of them, who were able to sit anywhere with plenty of space to spread out, while we FP fools couldn't even lift our arms.
    I sympathize.
    Next time (regardless of the show) if a CM gives you bad instructions (likely a new CM who "knows not")
    just calmly and slowly get up, join in to another "group" of entering guests and head to a more favorable location.
    Just know that guests who happen to be holding FPs are not required to use them (regardless of the show in question) but can choose to sit anywhere that's open in the Standby section.

All this is to say that if you DO get a FP for RoL or Fantasmic! or...
    and you see a place you'd rather sit in the standby section, you can do so.
    The FP offers you a "choice" to sit in the FP section or the standby section.
    Whichever is still open and whichever you prefer.

gharter

DIS Veteran
    Unless the park is really crowded, a FP is rarely needed. If you are in line 45 minutes before the show starts, you should have your choice of seats.
    Last time we were there in April, 15 minutes before the show started, you could still get a really good seat in almost any section.
    Will go back this fall to see the new version. Thought it paled in comparison to the other night time shows.

Turksmom

DIS Veteran
    I sympathize.
    Next time (regardless of the show) if a CM gives you bad instructions (likely a new CM who "knows not")
    just calmly and slowly get up, join in to another "group" of entering guests and head to a more favorable location.
    Just know that guests who happen to be holding FPs are not required to use them (regardless of the show in question) but can choose to sit anywhere that's open in the Standby section.
    Unfortunately, we were in a rather large FP line, which entered earlier than other guests, so by the time it was realized that we weren't crammed in because the show was being filled to capacity, it was too tight in our section for anyone except those on the very ends to move anywhere.

• tnolan

DIS Veteran
    This. Thanks Robo!

Tara8595

DIS Veteran
    After seeing this, my 10 year old turned to me and said, "Lame." My thoughts exactly. Want a better time? Do a sunset Kilimanjaro Safari, then go watch the tree of life and go see Pandora at night, catching the last show of the Pandora Drummers, which at night is particularly festive. Way more fun than Rivers of Light, imo.

spacegirl2007

Earning My Ears
    The show always gets bagged on but I think it's beautiful. It's short, low stress because it's usually not too crowded (depending on crowd levels). I don't know, I get that some people don't like it but I think it's a nice change of pace from the other nighttime shows.

mickeyluv'r

DIS Veteran
    While watching the show, we thought it was nice enough.
    On more return trips, we haven't felt motivated to return.

It wasn't a premeditated choice to skip the show, we just made other choices in the moment. (Day 1: opted to go to our hotel. (rare for us!) Day 2: watched Pandora light up, then the Tree of Life lighting show.)

• KristinU

DIS Veteran
    The show always gets bagged on but I think it's beautiful. It's short, low stress because it's usually not too crowded (depending on crowd levels). I don't know, I get that some people don't like it but I think it's a nice change of pace from the other nighttime shows.
    This is how we feel too. I think it is lovely and very nicely done. I haven't seen it since the update, but my family (including my tough-guy teenage DS) liked it enough to return on more than one occasion.

Mousetopia

DIS Veteran
    I loved it, but I saw the original. It was weak in story but so beautiful I still wanted to see it again. Without the live actors would not have been as cool.

***But as for your question...depends on time you are going, how busy it might be..for me if its important to you and you only have one shot to see it get a FP if you can to get a good seat. ****ALSO arent they making major changes for the 50th?? I have no idea when it will go down for that or come back up..but that should stir up extra interest.

RememberWhoYouAre

Annual Passholder
    On a related question, how do you folks like the new version of ROL?
    I like the newer version better than the original. After seeing the original we felt it was one and done. But then they added lion king to it this summer....my favorite movie, so I had to see it again. I liked the added lion king, tarzan and brother bear parts since we like those movies, but even with all that it's still our least favorite nighttime disney show by far.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates

THEME PARK MAPS

DISNEY WORLD TICKETS

THEME PARK HOURS
    Disney World Rehabs and Closings Disney World Restaurant Menus

DISNEY WORLD VIDEOS