Is a FastPass for Rivers of Light Necessary?

(If nothing else, just moving around in those "far-too-cramped" seating areas is nearly impossible, once the areas are seated with guests.)

I gather then, that once you take your seats, unless you have aisle seats, it's difficult to leave and come back before the show starts (e.g., a kid needs to go to the bathroom, can't sit still, etc)? I don't think my kids would be able to sit in their seats with nothing to do for an hour, so that might further weigh in favor of showing up closer to start time (with the understanding that it might be sold out by that point.)

I gather then, that once you take your seats, unless you have aisle seats, it's difficult to leave and come back before the show starts (e.g., a kid needs to go to the bathroom, can't sit still, etc)? I don't think my kids would be able to sit in their seats with nothing to do for an hour, so that might further weigh in favor of showing up closer to start time (with the understanding that it might be sold out by that point.)
As with all things at WDW, you must use your own priorities.

I don't think you need to arrive an hour before the show starts. If it is a priority though, I'd allow more than 15 minutes.

Call me crazy, but I usually have some ability to tell how crowded the park is on any given day. March is spring break, but crowds are always impacted by weather and other factors. So if AK is crowded that day, and the show is important, aim for the 40 minute mark. If the park isn't crowded, and you are okay with a small risk of being shut out, then maybe go as low as 25 minutes. On very busy days- I recall AK running two shows when it was new. If that happens, it is a busy day!

I don't think it is a good idea to try and hold seats for half your party. The theater has bleacher seating, and CM's try to fill each section as they go. They discourage folks from trying to go their own way to find a seat, if that makes sense, unless you don't care about sitting together.

If you do arrive early, and someone needs a restroom break, they might be able to return to their seat, but using the restroom before sitting is probably a better choice.

I’ve only seen it once with a dining package and I’m honestly not sure how much of an advantage that was. We arrived only about 15 minutes early but it was crowded and I think we were one of the last people seated in the back row.

That being said it was nice to know we had a guaranteed seat even if it wasn’t a great view.

As far as the show I would see it again - probably with a dining package because we like tusker house anyway.

On two occasions, we showed up just before show time and got good views. If you have an FP for the show, you can`t choose anything other FPs. Not worth it.

That's generally been my take too, but if it was late in the day, I'd take a FP for the light show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!