Is a FastPass for Rivers of Light Necessary?

I strongly advise against the FP. We were there right after the new show opened and got FP for the second showing of the night. The CM's put everyone in one little section with the instructions to keep moving closer together. Then they let in the "regular" guests- only about 2 dozen of them, who were able to sit anywhere with plenty of space to spread out, while we FP fools couldn't even lift our arms.

I strongly advise against the FP. We were there right after the new show opened and got FP for the second showing of the night. The CM's put everyone in one little section with the instructions to keep moving closer together. Then they let in the "regular" guests- only about 2 dozen of them, who were able to sit anywhere with plenty of space to spread out, while we FP fools couldn't even lift our arms.
I sympathize.
Next time (regardless of the show) if a CM gives you bad instructions (likely a new CM who "knows not")
just calmly and slowly get up, join in to another "group" of entering guests and head to a more favorable location.
Just know that guests who happen to be holding FPs are not required to use them (regardless of the show in question) but can choose to sit anywhere that's open in the Standby section.

All this is to say that if you DO get a FP for RoL or Fantasmic! or...
and you see a place you'd rather sit in the standby section, you can do so.
The FP offers you a "choice" to sit in the FP section or the standby section.
Whichever is still open and whichever you prefer.

Unless the park is really crowded, a FP is rarely needed. If you are in line 45 minutes before the show starts, you should have your choice of seats.
Last time we were there in April, 15 minutes before the show started, you could still get a really good seat in almost any section.
Will go back this fall to see the new version. Thought it paled in comparison to the other night time shows.

I sympathize.
Next time (regardless of the show) if a CM gives you bad instructions (likely a new CM who "knows not")
just calmly and slowly get up, join in to another "group" of entering guests and head to a more favorable location.
Just know that guests who happen to be holding FPs are not required to use them (regardless of the show in question) but can choose to sit anywhere that's open in the Standby section.
Unfortunately, we were in a rather large FP line, which entered earlier than other guests, so by the time it was realized that we weren't crammed in because the show was being filled to capacity, it was too tight in our section for anyone except those on the very ends to move anywhere.

This. Thanks Robo!

After seeing this, my 10 year old turned to me and said, "Lame." My thoughts exactly. Want a better time? Do a sunset Kilimanjaro Safari, then go watch the tree of life and go see Pandora at night, catching the last show of the Pandora Drummers, which at night is particularly festive. Way more fun than Rivers of Light, imo.

The show always gets bagged on but I think it's beautiful. It's short, low stress because it's usually not too crowded (depending on crowd levels). I don't know, I get that some people don't like it but I think it's a nice change of pace from the other nighttime shows.

While watching the show, we thought it was nice enough.
On more return trips, we haven't felt motivated to return.

It wasn't a premeditated choice to skip the show, we just made other choices in the moment. (Day 1: opted to go to our hotel. (rare for us!) Day 2: watched Pandora light up, then the Tree of Life lighting show.)

The show always gets bagged on but I think it's beautiful. It's short, low stress because it's usually not too crowded (depending on crowd levels). I don't know, I get that some people don't like it but I think it's a nice change of pace from the other nighttime shows.

This is how we feel too. I think it is lovely and very nicely done. I haven't seen it since the update, but my family (including my tough-guy teenage DS) liked it enough to return on more than one occasion.

I loved it, but I saw the original. It was weak in story but so beautiful I still wanted to see it again. Without the live actors would not have been as cool.

***But as for your question...depends on time you are going, how busy it might be..for me if its important to you and you only have one shot to see it get a FP if you can to get a good seat. ****ALSO arent they making major changes for the 50th?? I have no idea when it will go down for that or come back up..but that should stir up extra interest.

On a related question, how do you folks like the new version of ROL?
I like the newer version better than the original. After seeing the original we felt it was one and done. But then they added lion king to it this summer....my favorite movie, so I had to see it again. I liked the added lion king, tarzan and brother bear parts since we like those movies, but even with all that it's still our least favorite nighttime disney show by far.

Everyone is different. I like this one - it's actually my daughter and my favorite nightime show (except Villain Spectacular) - and it fits the overall vibe of AK. We saw it twice before they changed it. Recent visit wasn't a good test of the new version since we were super late for our FP seating and the CM put us in front of a pole (promising it wouldn't really be in the way . . . it really was).

We are going in Dec with my mother, who will really like Rivers of Light, so it's a must do. We probably wouldn't otherwise do an ADR that day, so I'm trying to decide if we should. We've got 3 character meal reservations including Tusker House right now and I'm trying to figure out what to drop. I don't mind standing in line. What time do they typically start letting in standby seating? Can I hold a spot in line for the rest of my party before that point? On the other hand, it might be nice to do a table service meal in the afternoon. This is the only park we are doing open-to-close with my parents . . .

Looking for updates on how crowded the show gets these days. We're not planning on using a fastpass and was wondering how early we'd need to arrive for a decent/OK standby seat. 15-20 mins early OK? (We're looking at early March for a 7:15 show.)

Also, what's the policy (official or customary) on saving seats before the show starts? Our party of 4 is going to be doing Everest immediately before and using rider switch. I was thinking our "first group" of 2 could head over after they finish Everest and hold 2 seats while the "second group" finishes their ride. Is that frowned upon?

Looking for updates on how crowded the show gets these days. We're not planning on using a fastpass and was wondering how early we'd need to arrive for a decent/OK standby seat.
A. 15-20 mins early OK? (We're looking at early March for a 7:15 show.)

B. Also, what's the policy (official or customary) on saving seats before the show starts?
Our party of 4 is going to be doing Everest immediately before and using rider switch.
C. I was thinking our "first group" of 2 could head over after they finish Everest and hold 2 seats while the "second group" finishes their ride.
D. Is that frowned upon?
A. If my INTENT was to actually SEE a given "evening spectacular," I would never arrive for any of them that late.
OTOH, If I only had a casual interest in possibly a show, that would be fine,
but you NEVER KNOW exactly how many others will decide to see a given performance on "your" night.
B. NO. And, it is specifically (and verbally) against the policy to do so.
C. Not a good plan.
(If nothing else, just moving around in those "far-too-cramped" seating areas is nearly impossible, once the areas are seated with guests.)
D. Yes.
(BTW, I was just there last week, and did not use a FP.)

I've had pretty good luck a couple times getting a 4th+ FP for RoL, sometimes even just a few minutes before the show. Also, as the showtime gets close, if there's still room in the FP seating area, they seem to wave everyone in.

We saw the original, with the actors. It was very nicely presented and choreographed. Not quite up to "must-do" quality but I wouldn't necessarily pass on it if I was in the area and had grabbed a quick snack or drink.

However, if I had to choose, I'd rather be watching the Tree of Life Awakenings.

We saw the original, with the actors. It was very nicely presented and choreographed. Not
However, if I had to choose, I'd rather be watching the Tree of Life Awakenings.
You can easily do both.
After it gets dark, ToLA runs (and runs, and runs) on to and well after park closing time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!