Is DCL doing away with formal night "dress up optional" on shorter cruises

hamm1207

Alaskan DIS Veteran
Just received an email from DCL with helpful info about our upcoming cruise, and it stated that we don't have a formal night. We're on the 12/1 5-night from SJ-Miami. Last time we did a 5 night cruise we had a dress up optional night. I looked over some personal navigators from recent 5-night cruises and some of them had a dress up optional night and some did not.

You can still dress up if you want. Just because there isn't one officially doesn't mean people can't dress up.

It's kind of funny that they are doing away with something that is optional in the first place. Although I would think that, for those who like to dress up, it might be nice to know which day others might be dressing up as well. I'm not really surprised, though. I didn't see many people really dress up on the 4-night cruise we took last year. I also noticed that for a 10 night there is only one formal night.

Just received an email from DCL with helpful info about our upcoming cruise, and it stated that we don't have a formal night. We're on the 12/1 5-night from SJ-Miami. Last time we did a 5 night cruise we had a dress up optional night. I looked over some personal navigators from recent 5-night cruises and some of them had a dress up optional night and some did not.
:guilty:

I was looking for it on our 5 night last month and didn't see it as an option either... I like it because it's an excuse to dress up on the shorter cruises, I don't know why they felt the need to get rid of it, it clearly emphasizes optional so it's like no big deal if you don't want to dress up... I'd be curious as to the approach on non DCL lines if they even offer this dress up night at all

On our last 8 night carnival cruise there were two elegant nights and just about everyone dressed up. Like really dressed up. It was a lot of fun. We have never seen very many people dress up on dcl. Bummer.

I usually dress up with slacks, tie, nice blazer etc on DCL formal night, but on RCCL cruise last year I felt underdressed.

We had an optional dress up night on the 4 night Wonder recently. The majority were still dressed formal or semi-formal. The minority were in capris and/or pants with a nice shirt. I'm happy with the flexibility on the shorter cruises and welcome formal and semi-formal nights on the longer voyages.

One thing we’ve noticed is the semi-formal night on many of the 7 day cruises getting taken over by the special events. E.g., our 7 night from NY has a Marvel Day at Sea where the semi-formal would’ve been. We still have the formal optional on the first dea day though.

We always look forward to dress up optional night...it's a fun night to get all jazzed up (I know not everyone likes to do this). My husband will still wear his Tux with Mickey vest and bow tie, and I'll dress up in a nice black dress. I'm hoping it doesn't disappear all together!

We always look forward to dress up optional night...it's a fun night to get all jazzed up (I know not everyone likes to do this). My husband will still wear his Tux with Mickey vest and bow tie, and I'll dress up in a nice black dress. I'm hoping it doesn't disappear all together!

Even if they do totally do away with it being listed, there is absolutely nothing that says you can't dress up! I do not get the mentality that just because they don't say you have to, you can't dress up. Or that what other people wear makes such a difference to people.

(And just as a note, I do dress mostly according to the dress code when on board. I may not be everyone's idea of "formal" but I am not one wearing pajamas to dinner. I just don't worry about what other people either are wearing or what other people think of what I'm wearing.)

I am happy to be on a cruise, but our Princess cruise in January has 2 formal nights on a 10 night cruise. In general people dress up more on Princess. I prefer DCL’s dress options. DH prefers the others, Princess and RCCL.

The last time we sailed on Disney, was in October 2016. It was a 5 night Halloween cruise. They held the optional formal night and the Halloween dress up night on the same night. I think that pretty much sums up what Disney wants you to do. Dress as you want within their stated guidelines. You are on vacation. Have a great time.

Even if they do totally do away with it being listed, there is absolutely nothing that says you can't dress up! I do not get the mentality that just because they don't say you have to, you can't dress up. Or that what other people wear makes such a difference to people.

(And just as a note, I do dress mostly according to the dress code when on board. I may not be everyone's idea of "formal" but I am not one wearing pajamas to dinner. I just don't worry about what other people either are wearing or what other people think of what I'm wearing.)

While you are totally correct that you can always dress up, it’s a little awkward when you are over dressed. For the same reason you don’t typically wear a tux to go to Applebee’s, you do stand out if you are in a ball gown and everyone else is in shorts and T-shirt’s. It’s nice when you have a night with a theme because it makes me feel less silly dressing up.

(Although I never get excited about people being underdressed, this is about how I feel uncomfortable being over/under dressed.)

I agree, there is something special about a formal (or even semi-formal) night where everybody is dressed up. It's not the same if you're one of the few dressed up and everyone else is in casual wear. Having said that, when we take a 3 or 4 night cruise tacked on to a WDW vacation I don't want to have to bring dressy clothes just for one dinner (in addition to our cruise and parks wear). We like to travel without too much luggage. But there is only one formal night (based on what is showing up on the 2016 Navigators) on our upcoming 10 night cruise and that seems odd to me.

I agree, there is something special about a formal (or even semi-formal) night where everybody is dressed up. It's not the same if you're one of the few dressed up and everyone else is in casual wear. Having said that, when we take a 3 or 4 night cruise tacked on to a WDW vacation I don't want to have to bring dressy clothes just for one dinner (in addition to our cruise and parks wear). We like to travel without too much luggage. But there is only one formal night (based on what is showing up on the 2016 Navigators) on our upcoming 10 night cruise and that seems odd to me.

But even on a "dress up night" (formal, semi-formal, etc.), not everyone dresses up. I wouldn't even say the majority does.

You do you. :) Whatever makes you happy.

But even on a "dress up night" (formal, semi-formal, etc.), not everyone dresses up. I wouldn't even say the majority does.

You do you. :) Whatever makes you happy.

Totally agree. As I said I have mixed feelings because of the packing situation, but I can understand why people would like a formal night. I figure if we really want to dress up (and our dress up is not as dressy as some) we can always have dinner at Palo. :)

Totally agree. As I said I have mixed feelings because of the packing situation, but I can understand why people would like a formal night. I figure if we really want to dress up (and our dress up is not as dressy as some) we can always have dinner at Palo. :)

In my brief glances around the MDRs, I can confirm that even on nights NOT designated as a "dress up optional" night, there are people who DO dress for dinner as it IS a cruise ship and not a "neighborhood Applebees". Doesn't seem to bother them. But everyone's level of comfort with "not matching" others is different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter