Is Disney forgetting about us "less nimble" folks?

Cheryl592000

Savvy?
Just wondering if anyone else feels like Disney is forgetting about us that have a few restrictions for rides?
Such as Pooh-sized or tall folks, claustrophobes, as well as those who have problems with the leg restraints on the new attractions such as Flight of Passage. My understanding is the upcoming Tron ride will have similar vehicle restraints such as the FOP.
Also, the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy coaster will probably have ride vehicles that spin as they speed along the track. Good grief!
I am unable to ride Mission Space due to claustrophobia. So, it seems I will be unable to ride most of the new attractions. And with the price of admission tickets, I think it is a bit unfair.
I don't want to sound like an old lady, who hasn't reached 55 yet but, I am a bit disappointed.
Anyone else?

I don't think you can design many theme park rides that don't have at least one of the things you have listed. Not everything can be a slow boat ride.

Btw, I am 52 and claustrophobic. And have some knee issues that make certain rides a bit uncomfortable.

Yes, you are correct. Not everything can be a "slow boat ride" and I am able to ride SM, BTM, EE, etc. without a problem. I think WDW is leaning toward the "thrill-seekers."

Considering half the complaints out there are the rides are too tame I'm afraid you are stuck in the "can't please everyone" cycle. They have to find something that pleases the majority and face it, the majority likes what they are making now, not the tame, classic rides of the 50's and 60's.

For what it's worth, I am an old lady but do like the new rides. I'm going to continue to enjoy them while I can

Yes, you are correct. Not everything can be a "slow boat ride" and I am able to ride SM, BTM, EE, etc. without a problem. I think WDW is leaning toward the "thrill-seekers."

If you can handle BTM and SM, then you will be able to ride Guardians. The "spinning" isn't like Teacups spinning - the cars can "spin" so that you see different story elements at different times through the ride.

My son is a "thrill seeker" at 12 years old but also has a cognitive disability that makes some rides problematic or just not possible for him due to factors other than the thrill. He chooses to focus on the rides he CAN enjoy and just make the most of what he CAN ride - yes he gets disappointed if he finds out a ride that looks cool on the outside is one that will cause a problem for him - but he moves on. If a 12 year old can figure out how not to let missing rides ruin a vacation, anyone can :)

There are some issues, but the main reason that I love Disney World is that it's not just for thrill seekers. I have cerebral palsy, and as such am pretty unbalanced etc. My main issue is my concern for my balance stepping down into boats or taking big steps to get out of them. I wish there was a way to combat it, but I don't know of any because I don't need nor want to take a wheelchair accessible boat, because I am not wheelchair bound. Let's not forget that they still are making new boat rides (Frozen, the new Avatar boat ride) And the thrills are fun too! Just rough to handle at time (I also get a lot of vertigo!) Probably wouldn't ride the new Avatar coaster because of my vertigo, but now the leg locks sound scary too.

Chiming in as an older and very Pooh-sized guest, I think WDW does a marvellous job catering to the widest range possible. While there is little I would consider a high-intensity thrill ride in any of their parks, Disney sure goes above and beyond to entertain, as well as sometimes simulate the sights and physical sensations. BTW, our DGD gave up on Disney parks before she turned 12, because there are no rides that interest her. She and her dad prefer Universal, Sea World, and Six Flags parks and no longer bother with motion simulators unless other rides are closed for weather. Trust me, those parks are not in the least concerned about making sure most people can ride their attractions.

I have found the teacups to be the worst ride by far, terribly awkward to enter and exit with my girth, and agonizingly cramped inside. It would be absolutely impossible for my 6'2" slender husband to fit his legs comfortably in the cup... even if he wanted to ride. He cannot even ride the carousel or Dumbo, as rotating motion turns him green. Fortunately, Disney provides a good variety of ride styles so there is something for everyone.

The newer rides do an excellent job at accommodating the majority of riders, and the FOP cycle seat is more forgiving than a lot of other vehicle styles. DH and DD both gave it a whirl, had to close their eyes for part of the "flight" but still admitted it was pretty awesome. I never wanted to get off!

We have no issue with the FOP ride. Getting to the ride itself is the issue. DH uses a wheelchair at disney. When the CM at the FP line says "good luck" as you tap in, you know you're in trouble. We did it twice and said never again. Perhaps the standby line has a gentler slope, but then nor do we want to stand in a 2 hour line.

Plus we're old. LOL

Considering half the complaints out there are the rides are too tame I'm afraid you are stuck in the "can't please everyone" cycle. They have to find something that pleases the majority and face it, the majority likes what they are making now, not the tame, classic rides of the 50's and 60's.

For what it's worth, I am an old lady but do like the new rides. I'm going to continue to enjoy them while I can

What old lady?? :eek: I'm afraid that's not what I'm seeing by the profile pic you have showing. I can almost guarantee you, I am WAY older than you babe. ::yes::

Lol, photos are so deceiving. Turning 56 when GE opens this year
56? thats not old! 96...thats old I consider 56 middle age and I'm 48.
Besides..age is all in the head. My grandmother took bus trips at 95. she complained about slow old people.....she was ten years older than the old people.....lol

I was amazed the first time we went to Disney and discovered Mission Space had two levels of intensity from which to choose; I’d never seen that concept in any theme park! Would be nice if there were more like that, I guess. Or at least like Harry Potter Forbidden Journey, where there’s an extended queue that’s pretty much an attraction in itself. OP, hope you continue to enjoy the parks with what you can do!!

My dad is going to be 84 this year and goes ballroom dancing 5 days a week.

My mom, on the other hand, was in a wheelchair at Disney from the 1990s due to advanced RA and fibromyalgia. (She passed in 2012)

AK was perfect for her...lots of animals, a boatride(the original one in AK) the Safari, lots of shows, etc. I think Disney does a great job of mixing it up. Some of the oldest rides like teacups or space mountain just were impossible for her.

My mom was a serious woman. She used to tell me, “I am your mother, not your friend.” She was born as an adult...lol...but in Disney world, I saw this different side of her, a childlike side that was astounding. Her favorite ride was it’s a small world. The smile on her face from all those little singing dolls could light up a room. So, no, she could not zip through space in a rocket, or ride a run away train...but there was plenty for us to do together as a family. I can not say that in other entertainment or amusement parks.

My mom was in pain pretty much everh day of my life, but in Disney, she smiled. People ask me why I love WDW....this is why.

Quite a few of the new attractions being built are not thrill rides - the Remy ride in the France Pavilion, Mickey's Runaway Railway at HS, etc. These are new offerings that will be tame and cater to any age. All is not lost :)

Well I am 58 and have yet to find a ride that is to bothersome to ride. Add the fact that the Marine Corps parting gifts to me included 2 new knees and a few pins here and there. I will admit to being a bit slower but I still manage to walk 12-14 miles a day.

And with the price of admission tickets, I think it is a bit unfair.

I am hoping I don't come across as cross, but what does that have to do with anything? I mean, I agree the prices are getting to be astronomical, but your inability to ride certain rides has nothing to do with that.

My DH (35), can hardly ride anything. Well, he can if it doesn't spin, go too fast, too high or backwards... He got sick on Soarin'. I won't pay for him to attend regular theme parks because he's just a glorified bag holder. There's nothing there for him to do.

He LOVES Disney. The rides are great and well themed, sure. But that's not all that Disney is. And, quite frankly, they seem to cater to those with certain concerns far more than other amusement parks.

I get being disappointed that you may not be able to enjoy new attractions, but it certainly isn't Disney being "unfair".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter