Is Disney World closure causing any fallout with the various college programs?

Do you believe in the tooth fairy. I wish. I'm shocked. Getting this news is unbelievable.

I'm thinking in particular of the students from Europe, South America, and Asia. It doesn't seem fair to give them such a short time period to leave the country.

I'm thinking in particular of the students from Europe, South America, and Asia. It doesn't seem fair to give them such a short time period to leave the country.
Here's the case that no airlines are going to fly. I hope Disney picks up the cost of these last minute tickets. I know they dont have to but this is way out of the kids hands. Please moderators. Don't tell at me. don't yellat me

Maybe they are taking into consideration the possibility of a domestic travel ban and want to get these kids home? With all of the colleges shutting down and sending kids home I'm thinking that could be a possibility.

Here in Edmonton, the University of Alberta today announced that classes are cancelled effective immediately. It will be up to each individual professor to arrange for video classes of some sort. Final exams will be written in an "alternative format", whatever that means.

My daughter was already stressed out about her university classes, now on top of that she is worried about whether her summer Disney World job will fall through. The Alberta economy was going through a rough patch, even before coronovirus came along, so there is a near zero chance of her finding a replacement summer job.

At the rate things are going if they don't get people out soon it may be tough to get them out at all. There are already reports that domestic travel restrictions are being considered and flight inventories are being slashed. It may be get out soon or be stuck there.

I am on my way down to Orlando tonight. Mine was not in Disney housing, but at her dorm at UCF and they want anyone without a reason to leave by Monday- so she needs to pack up. She is hoping to go into work tomorrow and finish out. She will come back when the school opens up. I think Disney want these kids out before someone comes down with this and then a quarantine happens. I hope all these kids can get arrangements.

Bingo.

A lot of this managing people and emotions, and the panic response. It's an easier pill for people to swallow to say "we're shutting things down for 2-3 weeks" and keep extending it, than it is to say "we're closing for 3 months." Everyone needs to start thinking May 1, or Memorial Day rather than April 1.

I was thinking June 1st or later would be the earliest re-opening.

My daughter is enrolled for the Australian CEP for August intake. No word on what is happening there yet.

Bingo.

A lot of this managing people and emotions, and the panic response. It's an easier pill for people to swallow to say "we're shutting things down for 2-3 weeks" and keep extending it, than it is to say "we're closing for 3 months." Everyone needs to start thinking May 1, or Memorial Day rather than April 1.

I disagree. I think they’re are planning it a few weeks at a time. Yes they will extend it if need be, but I would be hard pressed to assume they were anticipating extending it. All of Orlando’s theme parks seem to be following the same schedule, and their interest is to open back up ASAP as soon as the media hype dies down (which it already has since the state of emergency was announced)

My daughter is enrolled for the Australian CEP for August intake. No word on what is happening there yet.

Tomorrow is supposed to be "roommate selection day" for the students arriving in May. It will be a good sign if Disney goes ahead with that.

I'm reasonably confident that my daughter will be leaving for Orlando on schedule in two months time, and I'm almost certain your daughter should be OK. If the world doesn't have the coronovirus under control by August, then we are in big trouble.

I disagree. I think they’re are planning it a few weeks at a time. Yes they will extend it if need be, but I would be hard pressed to assume they were anticipating extending it. All of Orlando’s theme parks seem to be following the same schedule, and their interest is to open back up ASAP as soon as the media hype dies down (which it already has since the state of emergency was announced)

I really don't think they expect to open in 2 weeks but if there is any chance at all they can then leave it as an option by only announcing 2 weeks right now.

It is all so sad. Some of those kids arrived in January and had plans to be there until August. Their 8 month program was cut short to 2 months.

My son starts in May. I hope it is still on.

Tomorrow is supposed to be "roommate selection day" for the students arriving in May. It will be a good sign if Disney goes ahead with that.

I'm reasonably confident that my daughter will be leaving for Orlando on schedule in two months time, and I'm almost certain your daughter should be OK. If the world doesn't have the coronovirus under control by August, then we are in big trouble.
I think we have this one big shot to contain it because the world can't shut down in extremity for too long it would cause other issues. I hope we do though and all of this disruption and economic impact pays off.

Last edited:
I'm also planning on doing the Canadian summer program this summer for the 2nd time. So far Disney Programs has posted on their support page that all arrivals scheduled for April 20th and later are expected to arrive as scheduled and arrivals March 16 through April 13th will be contacted once they have additional information. So for right now the Canadian programs are in the clear but like many I have a feeling that the parks will not be reopening April 1st :(

My dd checked in Feb 3 and was to be in the program through Aug 6. She really only got a month once you factor in training and when they actually started them. She is heartbroken. Took 3x applying to finally get accepted and to have it end like this is just so sad.

We are scrambling to try to get her home. Thought we may have had it figured out earlier today but plans got derailed so back to the drawing board. It's not as simple as just getting on a plane. She took a ton of stuff. Way too much and I told her when packing but it's a common mistake that many kids make. And now she's bought stuff, including me buying her some things off amazon, like an air purifier because the housing is moldy (or something else bad) and she's been sick since getting there almost. So, just trying to figure all this out in a very short amount of time as well as cancel a couple of trips we had planned in March and April to see her.

I think we have this one big shot to contain it because the world can't shut down in extremity for too long it would cause other issues. I hope we do though and all of this disruption and economic impact pays off.
I agree. If we are all going to have to quit 'living', then let's do it well so it is worth it and we can get back to 'living' asap.

I feel so terrible for these kids. I did the college program 20 years ago and it was completely life-changing. I can't imagine how devastated I would have been if this had happened to me, especially at this point in the program when many are just getting settled. I've been getting emotional thinking about how they must be feeling. I was exchanging texts with my CP roommates yesterday about it.

To all of those who have kids in the program or are planning to be in the program, please know that CP alumni are feeling for you!

I feel so terrible for these kids. I did the college program 20 years ago and it was completely life-changing. I can't imagine how devastated I would have been if this had happened to me, especially at this point in the program when many are just getting settled. I've been getting emotional thinking about how they must be feeling. I was exchanging texts with my CP roommates yesterday about it.

To all of those who have kids in the program or are planning to be in the program, please know that CP alumni are feeling for you!
Our son did the program years ago. He did it for 8 months. He loved it. I'm surprised they ended it so abruptly especially for the kids from the state's. This could've been a great time to clean and re stock the parks with the kids. Sending them home makes me wonder when they re open

Based on what I have read the State of Florida considers the dorms "College dorms" like any other University and they are closing them all up. I know my daughter currently attends University in Michigan and they were given a couple of days to leave and will be having on-line classes. I work in a middle school and all K-12 schools in the State are closed for at least the next three weeks.

Our son did the program years ago. He did it for 8 months. He loved it. I'm surprised they ended it so abruptly especially for the kids from the state's. This could've been a great time to clean and re stock the parks with the kids. Sending them home makes me wonder when they re open

Until one of the kids gets it and spreads it to the others in the dorms.

I do hate it for the kids as well and I do hope that after things reopen disney gives all the current CP participants an opportunity to come back if they want to. Way too early to know what they are going to do tough

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter