Is Disney World closure causing any fallout with the various college programs?

My daughter was supposed to go at the end of May from Canada. Got this email this morning. Knew it would probably happen, but she’s crushed and out a lot of money. Flight to interview, insurance, flight booked to Orlando... 😢

mine too. 😞 also out deposit on housing, visa for travel that they just made them pay two weeks ago. I knew this would be inevitable. I’m disappointed with the generic email, the lack of contact person, no info on refunds. And I’m truely sad they didn’t offer to just defer these students rather than make them all reapply next year — adding all those travel costs for interview, transcripts, police checks costs again.

It’s so disappointing knowing that they have to do it all again and no guarantee they will get accepted. 😢😢

My son got his letter today. It is a very sad day around here. My son was Fall Advantage, Merch, starting May 18.

I am actually shocked, I just thought they would push it back, not cancel altogether.

Same thing for my daughter. She was suppose to be Attractions starting May 18th. Still don't understand why the didn't postpone them. I guess they have their reasons.

I feel so sorry for you all! The fall people should go to the front of the line!
It is all so sad and unfair. Completely understandable due to the Covid-19 situation, but still so disappointing. My daughter was one of Spring 2020 DCPs whose program got cut short. We are still hoping that maybe they would call the Spring 2020 ones back as they have all the training and had been working for 2 months. They would be ready to jump back into work without the need for training when the parks do open. Fingers crossed.

It is all so sad and unfair. Completely understandable due to the Covid-19 situation, but still so disappointing. My daughter was one of Spring 2020 DCPs whose program got cut short. We are still hoping that maybe they would call the Spring 2020 ones back as they have all the training and had been working for 2 months. They would be ready to jump back into work without the need for training when the parks do open. Fingers crossed.

Mine too - she Loved the program and was extended through August before the shutdown. She is hoping they will be called back and she completed the email "survey" saying so.

Good luck to your dd :)

My dd was sent home after just 43 days in the Spring program. She'd only been at her location for about 32 days. She gave up a semester of school, paid the non-refunded program fee and we incurred expenses moving her down there and back. Totally a sucky situation.

I'm so sorry to all the FA kids who had their program cancelled. The silver lining though is at least they won't have given up a semester needlessly, paid a program fee needlessly and moved down there needlessly.

The competition for Spring 2021 will be fierce I am thinking. My dd knew a ton of girls through FB who were in her program and all but like 1 or 2 are app'ing for spring 2021.

At least they are refunding the deposit on housing. So my daughter's loss is not as large.
I feel they should refund at least part of the Spring kids deposit since it's for two weeks of housing and events throughout the program. Considering my dd's program was only 43 days, there weren't many housing events. But Disney isn't doing that.

Mine too - she Loved the program and was extended through August before the shutdown. She is hoping they will be called back and she completed the email "survey" saying so.

Good luck to your dd :)
My dd was supposed to be there til aug 6 because she was spring advantage. I think mine gave up hope of being called back with that last email they received 😥

ds was cancelled for summer 2020 nyc internship at abc/disney .... how can he appeal for summer 2021? would have been nice if they had offered that to just roll it to next summer....

My dd was supposed to be there til aug 6 because she was spring advantage. I think mine gave up hope of being called back with that last email they received 😥

Agree with all you have said here and yes that last email was ambiguous at best!

My dd has already graduated so she isn't sure how the timing will work for her - if she can even apply again for the CP. She had just started making contacts at WDW in her field of study in hopes of moving to a permanent position after the CP in her major.

Honestly though I don't think Disney has a clue as to how to manage the CP going forward. Will they need CP's at all and when it would be safe to bring that many young adults from all over the country to live in that close proximity?

Agree with all you have said here and yes that last email was ambiguous at best!

My dd has already graduated so she isn't sure how the timing will work for her - if she can even apply again for the CP. She had just started making contacts at WDW in her field of study in hopes of moving to a permanent position after the CP in her major.

Honestly though I don't think Disney has a clue as to how to manage the CP going forward. Will they need CP's at all and when it would be safe to bring that many young adults from all over the country to live in that close proximity?
Yeah, what was that supposed to mean that they wouldn't have the advantage of being 'bumped'?? The recruiters hinted they would have some kind of advantage the next time they apply so was that taking away that advantage?? I do think they are planning to waive the graduation requirements, and I think that is right, to allow the kids who got kicked out or cancelled to apply even if they are past the grad requirements.

Sadly, Disney needs to be operating at near/full capacity to need the CP's. It could be awhile before that happens. I won't be surprised if the Fall 2020 is cancelled as well or only limited roles brought in.

Just curious if anyone's DCP'er who was sent home was able to qualify for unemployment? My dd applied 3/28 (sent home mid March from the DCP) and she sat in 'pending' until 2 weeks ago when FL decided she was ineligible. I get that she didn't make enough in FL but she absolutely should have qualified for the federal PUA money. Prior to the DCP, she had worked here in CO at an aquarium for almost a year and earned well over the necessary $2500 for state unemployment to kick in. So, we tried applying here in CO and over 2 weeks later, she is still sitting in 'pending' here. I'm guessing there is a problem because she last held a job in FL rather than CO and she quit the CO job to take the FL job...ugh, it's such a mess!

She can go back to the aquarium when they open (they've already called her and asked her back) but it will be mid-June, most likely, before they open. She pays for her own college tuition so her loss of work from beginning of April to mid-June is going to really impact her come fall.

Just curious if anyone else (DCP'er or parent of...) tried for unemployment and if so, which state? And any success?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!