Is DVC worth it?

Woods

Earning My Ears
OK, I just heard about DVC on our cruise a couple weeks ago. It sounds very expensive. Why would it be 'worth it' to join? Do they plan out vacations for you? I saw somewhere that it would cost $11,000 to buy into DVC, how much do you pay per year on top of that?

Hope you guys don't mind some questions. Do any of you have a website explaining DVC to a new comer? I would love to read more.
Thanks,
Debra

Welcome to the DVC board. A great place to get many of your questions answered is the Frequently Asked Questions thread up near the top of the list of threads on this board. As you have more questions, please post them and we will try to answer them.

In general, the current maintenance fees range from around $3.15 per point per year up to about $4.00 per point per year depending on your home resort. Thus, for a 150 point contract, your annual maintenance fees will be in the range of $465-$600 per year on top of your purchase price. And, yes, most of us on this board think that is well worth it given what you get with your points. Good luck!

DVC is worth it if you plan on staying at a DVC resort (one of the WDW resorts, or Vero Beach or Hilton Head) at least every other year, and you want deluxe accomodations.

If you don't want to stay at a DVC resort, or are happy with accomodations such as the All Stars, then DVC does not make as much sense financially.

DVC is one of the most expensive timeshares available (not the most, just one of the most), but if your interest is in staying on-site at WDW, it's the only game in town.

We figure that with the upcoming family vacation and the last family reunion we had, our investment has paid for itself.

We did the math before we bought and it is well worth the money. We stayed at OKW in a 2 bedroom before we bought. It cost us about 300 a night and that was several years ago. If you add up what it cost a year for a trip to WDW and divide it into the total cost of the membership, it only took us about 5 years to pay it off. We have added on 3 times and now have enough points to stay in a GV for 10 days a year. I think a GV is about a 1000 a night, so that is 10000 a year without the increase cost each year. We can now have 40 years of vacation for just the dues, which for us is about the cost of a GV for 1 night. Nothing like 9 nights free in a GV!!! If you are not familar with a GV, it is a 3 bedroom condo that sleeps 12. It is very nice and much like home. At OKW it is like an apartment, at BWV it is like a suite. There are studios, 1,2 and 3 bedroom units depending on your need for space. Different times of the year also determine the number of points per night you will need. I hope you can get whatever info you need on these boards and one day join our "family".

Woods, it is very much worth it if you like going to WDW every year and like having room to spread out and enjoy yourself instead of cramming 4 people into a regular hotel room.

The only way to really understand how well worth it it is is to take a tour and experience a 1 BR for yourself!!

If you want to take a look at the actual dollar amounts that you can save. I have created a spreadsheet that uses a few different variables to show how much you can save. You would be very surprised to see how much! Let me know if you want me to email it to you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter