Is Epcot rubbish (to the non-hardcore WDW fan)?

MJ6987

DIS Veteran
Conversation the other day between myself and two colleagues - let's call them "Simon" (who went to WDW for the first time recently) and "John" who has been a few times.

Simon (to John): "You were right about Epcot!"
John: "Yeah rubbish isn't it"
Simon: "I think I'd give it a miss if we go again, go to Universal instead"
Me: "Hey, what? I like Epcot!"
John: "What is there to like about it?"
(This is where I started to struggle)
Me: "Erm...you didn't like Soarin??"
Simon: "What, the bendy Eiffel Tower ride?? Not very realistic is it?" (He loved FOP by the way)
Me: "Anyway, it's not just about the rides....."
*Rolling of eyes by my colleagues*

Bear in mind that Simon went there during F+W Festival, Epcot's flagship event.

So, is Epcot rubbish for the regular visitor? Are we, the hardcore WDW fans, being blinded to this by nostalgia, etc?

In a general sense, I think the hardcore Disney fan is blinded in multiple ways about flaws at WDW in general. Specifically to your post, yes. I enjoy Magic Kingdom/EPCOT precisely because of the nostalgia. If I were a new visitor, considering how much it costs these days, I'm not sure I would enjoy the experience as much.

I think you just love it or you don't.

I went to Epcot for the first time 8 years ago, without knowing anything about it, and it was instantly my favourite park. Not much has changed at Epcot since my first trip, so it's not nostalgia for me.

It sounds like Simon's perception of Epcot was already clouded by John before the trip anyways.

I’m a hardcore Disney fan but pretty much only visited MK as a child, therefore I have no nostolgia with Epcot. I find Epcot to be the least interesting park. I don’t care for most of the rides (used to like TT and Soarin’ til they were changed) and there’s very little to do in the showcase if you don’t like eating overpriced meals and shopping. I rarely visit outside the F&G festival and the Christmas season. If I wasn’t a local passholder and went to Epcot on a non-hopper, I would feel that my money was wasted.

I could spend days there and not get tired of it. :confused3

I love the rides that are there (minus Misison Space...you couldn’t drag me on that one).

I wouldn’t call myself a hardcore Disney fan. I have only been twice (January and December 2017), but Epcot quickly became my favorite park.

The rides, restaurants and everything else aside, it’s just a fun place to go and hang out.

From the year it opened, Epcot has always been our favorite park. We aren't ride centric people, we ride rides but that is not what we go to WDW for, never has been even when my son was a toddler. MK is our least favorite park, I know that is a sin. We like the look and feel of Epcot but my son has always been about the learning. Even after over 30 years of going and over 30 trips, we still find new and interesting things at Epcot. You have to be willing to go slow and actually look at the details though. I can't tell you how many times we will either be in a country or on a ride and just randomly say I wonder and before you know it, someone is on the internet looking something up and we are have a discussion. We do it all the parks but Epcot seems to spark more discussions.

Is EPCOT rubbish? Well, that's a subjective question. Meaning it is going to get the same type of answers as; Is Pepperoni pizza that best kind? Each person that goes to EPCOT is going to have a completely subjective experience. Some are going to loathe it, and some are going to love it, and some are going to fall somewhere in the middle and you can't really be argued out of your position.

What's my subjective view? It's my favorite park. I love the people, the food, the snacks, the more open spaces, the architecture, the rides, the shops, music, fountains, etc...

If you are expecting it to be exactly like MK then yes, but it isn't exactly like MK and that is why it is amazing. Epcot has so much to offer, but if you just see it as only the few thrill rides that are in Future World then you will miss all that the World Showcase has to offer.

It all depends on what you are looking for in a park. If someone is all about rides, then Epcot is probably rubbish for them. Maybe they enjoy Test Track, and Frozen Ever After. Mission Space 50/50 some like it, some don't. There are no other thrills in the park.

If you enjoy the visuals, the food, the shows, then Epcot is a wonderful park. Before our first family trip to Disney World as a family in 2008, I was the only member of the family whom had really visited Disney before. My wife had spent one day there, kids had never gone. As a family, we usually spend 4 of our 10 park days each summer in Epcot, and all enjoy it.

However, the new soarin is a mess unless you are in the perfect seat. Journey into Imagination is a sad reminder of the amazing ride which used to be there. Wonders of life . . nope. Universe of Energy . . . nope. Odyssey restaurant . . nope. There is much that they could, and should do to that park.

The Guardians of the Galaxy coaster, and addition of Ratatouille are a step in the right direction though. I have high hopes for Epcot in the next few years.

Epcot was my favorite park for many years. I now see it as a sad shadow of what it once was. It's all a matter of perspective and taste though.

If you are expecting it to be exactly like MK then yes, but it isn't exactly like MK and that is why it is amazing. Epcot has so much to offer, but if you just see it as only the few thrill rides that are in Future World then you will miss all that the World Showcase has to offer.
It all depends on what you are looking for in a park. If someone is all about rides, then Epcot is probably rubbish for them. Maybe they enjoy Test Track, and Frozen Ever After. Mission Space 50/50 some like it, some don't. There are no other thrills in the park.

If you enjoy the visuals, the food, the shows, then Epcot is a wonderful park. Before our first family trip to Disney World as a family in 2008, I was the only member of the family whom had really visited Disney before. My wife had spent one day there, kids had never gone. As a family, we usually spend 4 of our 10 park days each summer in Epcot, and all enjoy it.

However, the new soarin is a mess unless you are in the perfect seat. Journey into Imagination is a sad reminder of the amazing ride which used to be there. Wonders of life . . nope. Universe of Energy . . . nope. Odyssey restaurant . . nope. There is much that they could, and should do to that park.

The Guardians of the Galaxy coaster, and addition of Ratatouille are a step in the right direction though. I have high hopes for Epcot in the next few years.
It's about so much more than expecting another MK, or only caring about rides.

It's ridiculous how they let that park go. It's lost its vision. Even a few new rides will not right that.

Last edited:
It's about so much more than expecting another MK, or only caring about rides.

It's ridiculous how they let that park go. It's lost its vision. Even a few new rides will not right that.

Curious as to what you think they need to do to make Epcot better? Not being snarky, I'm honestly interested.

Curious as to what you think they need to do to make Epcot better? Not being snarky, I'm honestly interested.
They can start by putting something in all those empty buildings. Something that fits thematically with the "Future World" mantra.

It's my favorite park but then again, I LOVE expo shows and all that. EPCOT was imagined by Walt to be a very 24/7 Expo kind of place. I think it's still doing that. ;)

I love Epcot, but I can understand why some do not, especially those who aren't major WDW fans.

I went to Epcot as a kid not long after it first opened, and I was A-MAZED at it! Went back a few more times as a kid and young adult and still loved it.

After a 17-year hiatus from WDW, I returned in 2016 and Epcot did seem kind of sad - especially Future World (which is more like Retro World now). But Flower and Garden was going on, and so it was pretty at least.

Last December we went, and we literally paused in Future World long enough to watch the gospel group Joyful (fantastic!) and get pics in front of a few Christmasy things (the tree and some topiaries), and then went straight back to the World Showcase. But we had some wonderful times in the World Showcase including the Gran Fiesta boat ride (I love it so), catching a Voices of Liberty performance (beautiful), dinner at Biergarten (delicious and entertaining), and Candlelight Processional (outstanding!!). And then we had an ideal view of IllumiNations with the Holiday Tag, and it brought tears to my eyes.

My BFF and I are taking a quick trip down the 24th-27th of this month, and we're only doing two park days with no hoppers. Magic Kingdom was a given, but I went back and forth on AK or Epcot. We're staying at Kidani, so while AK made the most sense in terms of being closest, and I originally planned for AK, in the end I could not stand the thought of skipping Epcot. I just feel like our resort will immerse us in the atmosphere found at AK, and we don't care about rides as much as experiences in general. My friend said the last time she went they skipped Epcot, so she's kind of excited to see it again. Plus, if IllumiNations is changing soon, I want the chance to see it in its current state at least one more time. AND food is important, and Epcot wins food hands down.

I think Epcot is most enjoyable if you either have a specific reason to be there (like dinner, a special festival or performance, etc), or if you enjoy walking around looking at stuff just as much as riding stuff. The way I see it, MK is our day to act like kids and ride the snot out of everything we can. Epcot is our day of sophistication and culture, LOL.

ETA: Wanted to add that for me what keeps Epcot from being "rubbish" is that it is unlike any other theme park (or place for that matter) that I've ever visited. I can find roller coasters, simulation rides, water rides, etc. at many theme parks all over the world. But there is nothing really comparable to Epcot that I can think of.

Last edited:
we took two people that had never been and had no expectations of what epcot is and they loved it. one was drinking and the other not. the upcoming additions will make it even better.

Epcot is my favorite park.

I think some people that head for WDW for the first time, having experienced other "amusement/thrill" parks like Six Flags vs a true theme park, are expecting giant roller coasters at every turn. Epcot doesn't provide anything like this. And, this is the very reason that Disney execs are allowing things like Guardians rollercoaster to make their way into the park that is supposed to be about learning with a fun twist. I LOVE the World Showcase, but my brother in law's family said WS was a boring collection of shops; in this situation they probably didn't slow down and take in the details and musical performances at each country.

I'm not condemning either side, btw. And Epcot is in need of a big refurb, which is on the horizon, so hopefully that will help both sides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!