Is Epcot rubbish (to the non-hardcore WDW fan)?

I think one of the challenges now for the imagineers when it comes to EPCOT is future world, simply because there is no way for Disney to keep up with, or actually exceed, the rapidly changing tech. Maybe if they get someone like Musk to sponsor and constantly share his various companies' ideas, or to line up different companies' sponsorships one after another, yeah... So, I do think they will go a different direction in Future World (I wouldn't mind an actual retro-world at all lol), whether it be IP like Guardians or what have you. I'm still all about EPCOT, and I'm fine with people who don't like it either, just like Universal is completely not my cup o' tea, and that's fine as well.

I agree with most of the replies here. I (and my family) really like Epcot but I struggled to explain in words to my colleagues why that was. I think they were basing it on "the rides" - and on that basis, you can't really say it's a great theme park, but in my eyes it isn't really about the rides, it's the overall feeling of the place - a true "theme" park, the ambiance and just walking around taking it all in. I think they were really looking for great rides and (by the sounds of it) had a cursory wander around world showcase and then gave up.

That said, I do think they need to up their game on attractions, and it's clear that they're planning to do that over the next few years.

Last edited:
I went to EPCOT as a 15 year-old in 1983 when the park had just opened. I enjoyed Future World but I fell in love with World Showcase. I'm now 50 and I still feel the same about EPCOT. I don't go to EPCOT for the rides, I go for the experience of feeling like I traveled around the world in one day.

Last edited:
I agree with most of the replies here. I (and my family) really like Epcot but I struggled to explain in words to my colleagues why that was. I think they were basing it on "the rides" - and on that basis, you can't really say it's a great theme park, but in my eyes it isn't really about the rides, it's the overall feeling of the place - a true "theme" park, the ambiance and just walking around taking it all in. I think they were really looking for great rides and (by the sounds of it) had a cursory wander around world showcase and then gave up.

That said, I do think they need to up their game on attractions, and it's clear that they're planning to do that over the next few years.

I agree. Epcot is more of a soak it all in kind of park. If someone is looking for ride after ride, they are in the wrong park.

Epcot is hands down my favorite park. I don't really linger in "Future world" though; I agree that part of the park is in need of updates and it's getting those in the future. I love, love, love world showcase. I could live there. I love how a previous poster put it. It's like traveling around the world in a day. I wish the whole park was like world showcase with 2 to 3 times the countries to visit. If they want to put a themed "ride" in each country along with food, and entertainment representing that country that'd be great but I'd enjoy it without any "rides." As I believe was mentioned, there's no where like World Showcase. If I ever went alone without my kiddos, I might hop over to MK for a ride or two but I think I could spend the majority of the trip at Epcot. :love:

I love the World Showcase but not so much Future World. Never have liked that part of it. But I could spend entire days wandering around the World Showcase.

Would I choose Epcot over Universal? Not for a second. Over Sea World? In a hot second. (And I love the whales and the dolphins, just don’t like the park, has nothing to do with the animals.) It’s the atmosphere to me. The theming. I love all of that in Epcot.

I don’t ride thrill rides in any park.

I really want to like Epcot more... but as it stands now it's #4 out of 4 when we go unless its during Festival of the Holidays (The decorations, storytellers, and Candlelight Processional). Future World is really an eyesore right now. From the dilapidated and empty innoventions to the shuttered pavilions to the pavilions that should be changed (looking at you figment and Netflix Film Fest). They have a world class aquarium that they is being left to deteriorate for God's sake ! Future world no longer has enough high-capacity attractions meaning that what remains is overcrowded.

People should be demanding more from Disney when it comes to Epcot... because right now they are making out like bandits forcing people to pay for entry to a dining and shopping area.

World Showcase IS great in its own right, but when you are considering that you are paying admission to dine and shop, the value proposition really diminishes when compared to the other parks. We do like rides, but we also like shows and atmosphere. The atmosphere in WS around dusk can't be beat, but during the heat of the day WS can really feel like a big expensive outdoor shopping mall that you paid to get in to. The street shows in Epcot are also long in the tooth when you compare them to what is at AK and MK... last trip we were completely spoiled with all of the great street shows and parties in AK and then Epcot was a Huge Disappointment. Until SWGE opens WDW has 2 World Class theme parks and 2 red-headed stepchildren that have fallen from grace.

Epcot is hands down my favorite park. I don't really linger in "Future world" though; I agree that part of the park is in need of updates and it's getting those in the future. I love, love, love world showcase. I could live there. I love how a previous poster put it. It's like traveling around the world in a day. I wish the whole park was like world showcase with 2 to 3 times the countries to visit. If they want to put a themed "ride" in each country along with food, and entertainment representing that country that'd be great but I'd enjoy it without any "rides." As I believe was mentioned, there's no where like World Showcase. If I ever went alone without my kiddos, I might hop over to MK for a ride or two but I think I could spend the majority of the trip at Epcot. :love:
This ! I always tell DW that I would love to be able to sleep on a bench in WS and wake up and watch the sunrise over the lagoon !

AS much as I really enjoy EPCOT, Innoventions is a mess. The one good attraction, Sum of All Thrills is closed. I don't know what they will do with that much space, but they need to come up with a serious plan.

Curious as to what you think they need to do to make Epcot better? Not being snarky, I'm honestly interested.
Holy heck, do I have a list lol.

Future World is the main offender. Innoventions . . those are two run down, abandoned buildings. They either need to be renovated, and brought back to life, or torn down, and something else put in their place. Imagination needs a good stiff dose of . . . imagination, because it is sorely lacking in the current pavilion. The ride is but a shadow of it's former glory, and the after show area is . . . largely missing, and certainly missing anything that even remotely resembles imagination.

Some new attraction to take up the space of the former Circle of Life show would be nice, and a bit of an update to Living With the Land wouldn't hurt.

Inside Out could, should, needs to go into the former Wonders of Life pavilion. Something, anything should happen in the old Odyssey building, and then a couple of rides / attractions in World Showcase to really draw the crowds, and eat them up. They are going to have the gondola system shoveling guests into the international gateway. A few rides and attractions to help eat those crowds up, and spread them out would be a great idea. I know they are heading in that direction with Ratatouille, and rumors of an attraction in UK, but perhaps two more around World Showcase wouldn't be a bad idea. Something in the top part of the Canada pavilion might help to actually draw some crowds up there. That pavilion is generally completely empty when we visit.

The Grand Fiesta Tour should be Coco for certain. Heck, that should have been done already.

My first visit to Epcot was shortly after it opened with my uncle. I was maybe 14 at the time, and loved everything about the park. Figment was amazing, probably my favorite Disney character! Horizons, Spaceship Earth, the World of Motion, and the World of Energy, all mesmerizing. I long for the Future World that existed back then. Seeing the ride vehicles moving along from outside the building blew my mind away. Everything about Future World was unique, and unexpected. Somewhere along the way, Disney lost that. I don't care about IP, one way or another. For me, it is not about who is telling the story, it is about the content of the story, and how it is being told. Keep the story of Future World about the future, keep the edutainment aspect, and make it visually mesmerizing. Those are the qualities that I remember so fondly of Future World.

Despite all of it's shortcomings, EPCOT is an amazing park, and eats up half of my time in Disney World. I still enjoy Future World, and World Showcase is visually amazing, and a wonderful experience. There are few things I enjoy more than leisurely strolling around World Showcase, taking in all of the beauty.

Last edited:
Epcot has always been my favorite park. I don't really like the thrill, fast rides. Im hoping it will be DH's favorite enough to get him back to DW in the future. His first trip to DW will be next month. I especially like going to look at the countries and the entertainment there. Spaceship Earth is almost as amazing as the Castle to me!

EPCOT is my favorite park and has been since 1983.
As far as I'm concerned If others don't care for EPCOT they should have the good grace to stay out of it and leave a little more breathing room for those who appreciate it's charm and diversity. :-)

When I was a young warthog, did anyone sing that lol. When I was younger I really liked Epcot. The reduction of the learning based attractions (Wonders of Life pavilion), focus on future power and the tech based toys that have been replaced by IP's I feel it's lost some of it's luster. They have been patching up the park for years with new things such as MS and TT, Frozen, now GoG and Ratatouille on the way, they just keep throwing in IP's to make up for the drop in attendance. There are still things I love at Epcot but I hate to say it but Epcot is not my favorite anymore, it's pulling up the tail end just behind Mk. I won't go to WDW and leave out a park that would be a sacrilege. It's now my one day park and my first day park so I'm not disappointed at the end of my trip. It sill has nostalgia for me, I remember being in awe of the enormous geodesic sphere that is Spaceship Earth, the Dinosaurs on Universe of Energy the nerdy kid toys the shops had, I once got a solar powered toy kit there. The World Show Case hasn't changed much with the exception of Frozen and The Gran Fiesta Tour. My favorites DHS, AK, Mk, Ep in that order. DHS is currently suffering due to construction but when SWGE opens it will one again be awesome, dislike MK because of the over crowding. What do you think? I'm open to discussion, can anyone change my mind?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter