Is it unheard of to get an upset stomach from a multivitamin?

This is not a true statement. For the water soluable vitamins like Vitamin C or B, this is true. You'll just pee out anything your body doesn't need. For the fat soluable vitamins (A, D, E, & K) these build up. If you are not deficient, you can get side effects from them building up. I had some uncomfortable side effects from too much Vitamin E. Chances are, though, that whatever is in a multivitamin is not at a high enough dose to be a problem.

Ah, good to know. I'm due for a routine check-up, I should probably take Mackenzie's advice and get a blood workup as well. I know my cholesterol isn't great at 184, so it couldn't hurt to check everything else.

Yes, there can be too much of a good thing!
This is why there are different womens, childrens, and mens formulas!

Flintstones would not have all the iron, as it is for kids.....

But, I highly recommend something better and 'natural', as I posted about.
That, and... hey.... let's all eat better!!!

Try Olly Brand gummy vitamins. They are the best and don't cause any stomach upset.

I'm thinking maybe go back to the old Flintstones chewables I took as a child,

Could be the fillers/binders in the tablet, could be the vitamins themselves (iron bothers many people--not sure if Centrum has iron in it). Go back to Flintstones or one of the many "gummy" vitamins on the market.

I used to take the Flintstones Complete Gummies. Read the label, they say for adults to take 2. So, it's not just a kids vitamin. And most vitamins are supposed to be eaten with a meal. It helps to bind them with the vitamins in foods. I recently switched to 2 Vitafusion Women's Gummies and they have a few more minerals that I may need.

Calcium and magnesium may also irritate stomachs and should be eaten with foods. The only Calcium (aside from Tums,) that don't irritate my stomach are Nature's Bounty Calcium, Magnesium & Zinc caplets. Yet, I can only take 2. If I take a third at the same time, it really upsets my stomach. I can't spread my calcium to other parts of the day as I take thyroid meds, which calcium interferes with. But, one shouldn't be taking large amounts of calcium all at once either. :(

Even without the multi my Iron level is always pretty high whenever I go to donate platelets, about 15.3 on average.

Don't mess with high iron. Iron is NOT water soluble and just pees away. High Iron can be dangerous. I was anemic forever and was on a mega-dose of Iron for years. Then one time, my Dr. seriously said to knock off the Iron as I was too high in iron. :scared:

I don't get sick with just the iron supplements but I can't seem to take a multivitamin and keep it down. Unless it is Flintstones. Those kids vitamins are no problem. My iron is low so I need the iron and a few others so I take what I need separately.

I get nauseous just thinking about taking a Centrum. They make me so sick. No other multi has ever made me feel that way.

I take mine just before going to bed. If I do have any side-effects, I apparently sleep through them. I don't think I have the kind of problem you describe though.

I would agree that it might not be just the iron... but all the other stuff in there...
Vitamins and Minerals in basic dosages is good... But, some if the stuff they call 'supplements'. Not so much.

I found the Centrum women's upset my stomach. Centrum silver or, as DD calls it, "old lady vitamins" do not. I don't know if it's the iron or what that makes the difference.

I can't say I've ever had a problem with multi-vitamins, but I come from a family known for our cast-iron stomachs.

However, when I was expecting, the doctor told me specifically to get the name-brand prescription pre-natal vitamins. His reasoning: they have a better coating and "ease into" your system more slowly than the store-brand version. True? I dunno, and since insurance paid for them, I did what he said.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!