Is SWGE impacting your trip? Discuss your plans here!

I wish we had an easy way to check room availability for all the hotels/resorts/vacation homes around the Disney property that are way cheaper than Disney rooms
Touring plans just did a video on this and they said that the MK and EPCOT parks would be the lest impacted parks the video was long but very good. You might and anyone going migh want to look at it ( it is on YouTube)
With F&W just starting I will be planning my EPCOT days midweek though

Wanted to add an extra day on to my trip Sept 8 to 14. Just checked and there are no values or mods available. I tried looking at my week as well, and no values or mods are available. I'm glad I'm already booked !!! And so it begins . . .

I just checked after reading your post and found availability at every resort at WDW. Are you sure you didn’t have a special offer selected like a room discount or something? They limit the number of discounted rooms but there were plenty available at rack rate.

I just checked after reading your post and found availability at every resort at WDW. Are you sure you didn’t have a special offer selected like a room discount or something? They limit the number of discounted rooms but there were plenty available at rack rate.

I just checked from my phone and you are absolutely right. My desktop is still showing no availability though. There is hope yet !!

Touring plans just did a video on this and they said that the MK and EPCOT parks would be the lest impacted parks the video was long but very good. You might and anyone going migh want to look at it ( it is on YouTube)
I saw this as well and wanted more discussion about crowd impacts and less about Galaxy's Edge. Long term user of TP, but am growing skeptical and hope they prove me wrong and keep my faith! I wonder if MNSSHP will be impacted? We have tickets for Friday, September 6. TP says Mk will have a crowd level of 1, but Undercover Tourist says 5. We are expecting more on the 5 level, but worst cast scenario for us would be Galaxy's Edge folks who can't get in will head over for the party.

I saw this as well and wanted more discussion about crowd impacts and less about Galaxy's Edge. Long term user of TP, but am growing skeptical and hope they prove me wrong and keep my faith! I wonder if MNSSHP will be impacted? We have tickets for Friday, September 6. TP says Mk will have a crowd level of 1, but Undercover Tourist says 5. We are expecting more on the 5 level, but worst cast scenario for us would be Galaxy's Edge folks who can't get in will head over for the party.

As someone who booked a September trip specifically because of SW, MNSSHP isn’t even on my radar.

We're keeping our 8/20 -8/31 trip (it'll be me, my husband and 3 kids ages 8, 7 and 3 and my brother/sister-in-law plus 3 kids 10, 7, and 2), and plan to do SWGE. Obviously we will need to rope drop no matter what (we can leave the 2 year olds with grandma, who lives locally) so I'm wondering if you think it will be any less crowded on 8/30 or 8/31 vs 8/29 and how many hours prior to park opening do we need to arrive in order to ride the millineum falcon ride in ideally a 60 min or less line? Thanks!

Posted on another thread, but looks like it fits better here...

Well, I've tried adding on 1 day before or one day after my 09/19 - 09/27 trip with nothing but the Polynesian Villas and Beach Club coming up for my party of 5. A bit pricey for me and I do not want to do a split stay. Currently booked at the CBR. When I looked at the Poly rates, it gave a disclaimer about SWGE and the park , land, and attractions having limited capacity. UGH! We really are locked into our dates, so we can't reschedule. We have 7 day base tickets and are there for 8 nights (hoping to add one more night). During our stay, MK closes at 6pm for MNSSHP several nights, so I think we'll go ahead and buy tickets for one party night. Original plan was to spend 2 days in MK, EP, AK and one day in HS, but I'm not so sure about HS now. I went ahead and subscribed to Touringplans for the first time ever to hopefully get an idea on crowd calendar estimates, but figure that won't really be accurate until early Sept.

I'll admit to having some ongoing anxiety issues over this. We wanted to come during Sept to have lower (relative to peak seasons) crowd levels. I never, ever want to experience Christmas/ Spring Break/ Summer crowds. I'll probably need a prescription to make it through this. :scared:

We don't plan to have a lot of ADRs as we are not on the dining plan. Just hoping I can work the FP to our advantage and make the best of it. It's been 4 years since we were last in WDW and now I'm having mixed emotions about returning. Darn these expiring tickets!! This would have been a good year to visit the dark side methinks. :P

Last edited:

I would be surprised if the party is impacted - it's an extra cost so those with disappointment about not getting in aren't likely to then spend extra $$ at the last minute on a party. If folks can't get into HS at all or have a hopper and abandon HS after being unable to get into the Star Wars section, I would expect overflow to first go to Epcot because 1. it's closer and 2. opportunity to drink away the disappointment (something MK can't offer) and no early close (like both MK on party nights and AK).

Our trip is scheduled for Dec 2-12 this year. We rented DVC points to stay at a 2 bedroom BWV. My first reaction is that I hope it'll alleviate a tiny bit of crowds since it's opening earlier than anticipated. I know the 2nd phase of opening will happen later and I'm sure people will hold off going so they can see it all during one trip. I'm going to watch how everything unfolds, but we will be keeping our trip the same. Our original intentions was to go to experience the Christmas decorations/activities. My parents are also coming with us and I'd hate to move the trip to 2020.

We are scheduled Aug 31- Sept 7 w free dining. Already have our flights and MNSSHP tickets because our dates aren’t very flexible. We are back in school by then and we picked a eeek that our kiddo would only miss 4 days. When searching there is no availability for our dates. We aren’t moving the trip, but I’ll be honest I’m nervous. We booked this as a last trip before our son turns 3 and for lighter crowds after going in December. I’m trying to remain hopeful that most of the crowds will stay towards HS and we will be ok in the other parks. Our HS day is only a 1/2 day with a Fantasmic ADRand hopefully fastoasses for the few things we actually want to do this trip. Going to go in with a good plan. I hope...

Disney Lied. For those of you without a calendar handy, Fall this year starts on the 23rd of September. My dates: 14-September through the 21st. Specifically chosen for low crowd calendars and PRE-Star Wars crazy invasion.

So because this date falls 3 weeks before fall and now during your Disney trip, they lied? Ok, yeah, that makes perfect sense. Sounds to me like you're upset this opening falls during your trip. Guess what, you have the right to feel that way. However you do not have the right to call Disney a liar. They're a business and businesses often do what's best for them.

They did not lie. Their plans changed and that's okay.

If we can please keep the conversation as civil as possible, no need for hyperbole or name calling.

I really don't understand the reaction to calling Disney liars.

1. They said SWGE will open in Fall. (Statement of fact.)
2. Fall starts on 23rd of September (Statement of fact.)
3. They then announced opening on August 29th. (Statement of fact.)
4. August 29th is in Summer (Statement of fact.)

#1 and #2 being true, many people planned their vacation to specifically avoid SWGE opening, made irreversible plans costing thousands of dollars. (e.g. Non-refundable airplane tickets, DVC rental point reservations, babysitting, pet sitting, scheduling vacation time, etc.)

Disney changes their schedule and they deserve to be called out on it. They negatively impacted many of their customers. They didn't HAVE to open it in SUMMER. They chose to do something totally different than what they announced they would do at a point where many peoples plans were locked in.

I realize they could care less about my plans, they are doing what financially is in their best interest, but the fact remains they screwed up many peoples plans.

Since I am not a Disney junky and only go every few years (Its been 6 years since the last time I visited.) maybe I'm not used to being lied to by Disney and this is their normal operating mode.

If so, I get it - you are all used to it, and I expect a company to follow their own announced plans. So I shouldn't trust them anymore with my vacation plans.

But the fact is they still lied.

#1 and #2 being true, many people planned their vacation to specifically avoid SWGE opening, made irreversible plans costing thousands of dollars. (e.g. Non-refundable airplane tickets, DVC rental point reservations, babysitting, pet sitting, scheduling vacation time, etc.)

I was going to say something similar. Fall falls into a certain frame of time & they said it would be late fall, then they said fall, then they announced it would actually be during the summer time frame. If that isn't a lie, I don't know what is. It's all about the money. And all the money grabbing is disgusting. For a company who is supposed to make families' lives full of happiness, they sure failed here.

We finally canceled our reservation & I'm sure this will illicit "Great! More rooms for us!" from those who have no empathy on this forum. I never understand why there are so many unkind people on this forum who are always ready to tear others apart.

I was going to say something similar. Fall falls into a certain frame of time & they said it would be late fall, then they said fall, then they announced it would actually be during the summer time frame. If that isn't a lie, I don't know what is. It's all about the money. And all the money grabbing is disgusting. For a company who is supposed to make families' lives full of happiness, they sure failed here.

We finally canceled our reservation & I'm sure this will illicit "Great! More rooms for us!" from those who have no empathy on this forum. I never understand why there are so many unkind people on this forum who are always ready to tear others apart.
I don’t think WDW initially announced Late Fall and then Fall to intentionally deceive people. Therefore, not a lie.

But of course, you have every right to be disappointed.

Last edited:

Disney changes their schedule and they deserve to be called out on it. They negatively impacted many of their customers. They didn't HAVE to open it in SUMMER. They chose to do something totally different than what they announced they would do at a point where many peoples plans were locked in.

I realize they could care less about my plans, they are doing what financially is in their best interest, but the fact remains they screwed up many peoples plans.

Since I am not a Disney junky and only go every few years (Its been 6 years since the last time I visited.) maybe I'm not used to being lied to by Disney and this is their normal operating mode.

If so, I get it - you are all used to it, and I expect a company to follow their own announced plans. So I shouldn't trust them anymore with my vacation plans.

You obviously don’t follow Disney much. Halloween for Disney starts mid August.

They don’t deserve to be called out for anything because they did nothing wrong. Yes it’s opening earlier than most thought but Disney never said of it won’t open before September or anything like that.

It’s a matter of opinion that it’s negatively impacting people. For some I’m sure they are very happy it’s opening early. For others like yourself it’s an issue.

There is no lying.

Last edited:
Disney will announce fiscal 19 earnings on the 29th. I honestly don’t think a month of SWGE will impact that number to able to turn things around that much if this year is as down as everyone thinks it will be. I do believe they think everyone will be trying to jam the parks if they opened everything at once in the fall and this is a good way to get some of those people here now as opposed to not at all if property hotels sell out and all parks are at max capacity. SWGE at full opening has the potential to absolutely do that. Ah well. Take it for what it is. I also booked for a slower time 9/9-9/16 for my anniversary hoping to avoid it but it is what it is. Hopefully most of my September peeps got free dining and now possibly seeing SWGE. Glass half full all. It will all work out.

Disney has and does consider Memorial Day weekend the opening of summer for them but that’s not calendar summer. Just cause the calendar says something doesn’t mean that’s how Disney operates.

Disney will announce fiscal 19 earnings on the 29th. I honestly don’t think a month of SWGE will impact that number to able to turn things around that much if this year is as down as everyone thinks it will be. I do believe they think everyone will be trying to jam the parks if they opened everything at once in the fall and this is a good way to get some of those people here now as opposed to not at all if property hotels sell out and all parks are at max capacity. SWGE at full opening has the potential to absolutely do that. Ah well. Take it for what it is. I also booked for a slower time 9/9-9/16 for my anniversary hoping to avoid it but it is what it is. Hopefully most of my September peeps got free dining and now possibly seeing SWGE. Glass half full all. It will all work out.
Disney Fiscal 2019 ends September 30th. They won’t announce anything until they are into Fiscal 2020 on the earnings call. Domestic parks are all combined into one so they will have a good period of Disneyland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter