Is the Luau at Aulani a must do? Or should we wait till Maui

Wendy from Neverland

Earning My Ears
When I initially looked at pricing for the Luau at Aulani I got sticker shock but after some research I am discovering that the luau at Aulani isn't much more expensive than others nearby.

We will be at Aulani for two nights and then headed over to Maui for a week. Should we do the Aulani Luau or wait till we go to Maui? My kids are both 16 year old girls, one is a Disney fanatic and doesn't know we are going to Aulani yet. Was there Disney magic at the Aulani Luau or was it lack luster? I watched a few you tube video's and it looked like it was in the middle of a common area with many people just strolling by and very public. Has anyone ever gone to dinner elsewhere on property and then just watched the entertainment? I don't mind spending the $$ but just want it to be worth it. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

following... as we have the same question. we've stayed at aulani, but never participated in the luau.

We attended the luau at Aulani in June and loved it. We had been to a luau in Maui years ago (it was at a hotel but I can’t recall which) and thought the entertainment was much better at this luau.

The area used for the luau is a lawn on the side of Aulani. While some guests can watch from their rooms (either to the side or head-on but fairly far away), there is no access to that area during the luau for those that aren’t attending so there aren’t any passerby.

The only Disney characters are a brief appearance by Moana, Mickey and Minnie. I thought, if anything, Mickey and Minnie detracted from the show as their reason for attending was a bit forced but can understand why they were included.

We didn’t think the food was good at all and we had low expectations going in. You’ll see reviews stating it was great too, though, so it’s more likely personal taste than anything.

I’d consider the VIP package. Yes, it’s even more expensive but you sit much closer to the stage. Some in general seating were awfully far away though there are “mini stages” in the middle and back where a few performers are located during certain portions of the show. If I recall, unlimited drinks are included with the VIP package but we only had 1 apiece.

I may not have to even debate. It appears that if the schedule remains the same it may not even be offered the nights we are there on Sunday or Monday

We attended the luau on Tuesday this week. It was much better food and entertainment wise then the one we attended on Maui last year.

We attended the luau on Tuesday this week. It was much better food and entertainment wise then the one we attended on Maui last year.
Which one did you go to in Maui? I looked at the calendar and it appears they may not even have it at Aulani on Sunday or Monday’s nights so it may need t even be a option

We stayed at Aulani in August and pre-purchased VIP tickets to the Aulani luau...WE LOVED IT! The pre-show, including the activities and the only presence of Disney characters, was great. The show itself was wonderful (much, much better than the luau at the Polynesian Resort in WDW). Finally, the food was fantastic! Yes, it was expensive, no doubt about that, but for the overall experience, it was worth every penny for us. Plus, being guests at the resort, there was no travel to or from it. If you can swing it, I highly recommend doing it.

I can't speak to the luau at Aulani, but we island hopped between Oahu, Maui, and Kauai and opted to do a luau on Maui because two of the state's best rated luaus are there - Old Lahaina Luau and Feast at Lele. They are right down the street from each other near Front St. in Lahaina, very close to the Kanaapali Beach region.

Old Lahaina Luau is a traditional Hawaiian luau with a pig roast. Some of the seating you can reserve is on cushions on the grass, and the rest is at standard tables. Its communal seating and I believe its a buffet.

We opted for the Feast at Lele because we had our own table, the food was served to you, and they also had fire dancers which they do not have at Old Lahaina Luau (not traditional to a Hawaiian luau). Feast at Lele was slightly different because the show represents 5 different Polynesian cultures, and the course they serve you corresponds with the culture at each point in the show - i.e. they serve you Tongan food during the Tongan show/dance portion. All of the food was delicious, filling, and the show was great. We had a professional photo taken at sunset on the beach. They also assign your table in the order you booked - we must have been one of the first who booked because our table was front and center! We booked several months in advance. I think there are some photos and details in the trip report in my signature.

We went to the Luau at Aulani at the request of our children. I'm surprised to say that I thought it was worth it. Definitely get the VIP tickets if they are in your budget. The food and drinks exceeded my expectations and the pre-show festivities were a lot of fun for the kids. We went to the Old Lahaina Luau years ago, and I remember little about it, other than I was unimpressed.

We spent a week at Aulani at the end of August. My girls are younger, 8 & 11 but we did the luau there. I had a hard time with the price also! The entertainment was good, although this was my first luau. The food was - eh. I’m glad we did it, not sure if I would do it again. Mickey and Minnie made a small appearance, as did Moana. But the rest is about Hawaii and nothing to do with Disney.

Our hotel’s luau Kanapali Beach resort is the one we attended on Maui.

We attended the night show at Polynesian Cultural center and thought it excellent! We did not attend luau there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter