Is there a difference (dating)

Chaoster

Mouseketeer
Is there a difference when you say " I am seeing someone vs I am dating someone." Which one do you think is more serious?

Depends on the generation, and maybe the region.

To me, a Gen X'er, "seeing" someone means you are a couple. "Dating" is you enjoy each others company, but are not exclusive to one another.

My nephew, a Millennial, says "dating" is serious and exclusive. And "seeing" means you're simply hangin' out.

Back a long long time ago when I was a single girl...

I had been out on a date or two, maybe lunch, coffee, or a after work drink... that was casual seeing someone, implying some interests....

If I had been out on several dates with someone, and had started making plans for more dates, then I was dating them not necessarily exclusive

Once it got to the point of being exclusive with someone... then boyfriend and girlfriend came into play.. and we were in a relationship..

Terms like hanging out... to me means hanging out... friendship, no romantic interest, and might could develop into more kinda just, sorta seeing if there is maybe something a little bit more... for me if I said, we are just hanging out... for me that meant I was just interested in being friends...

Is there a difference when you say " I am seeing someone vs I am dating someone." Which one do you think is more serious?

IMO they are both serious enough that whoever hears them probably should be looking elsewhere unless there is other context that indicates to the contrary.

For example, I'm dating someone but we're not exclusive means she's open to going out with you but wants you to know the deal up front so that there are no hard feelings.
I'm dating someone/seeing someone without any more context usually means Sorry Charley. She either is in fact dating someone or she's letting you down easy.

I think when you are seeing someone it means you have been out a few times, have plans to go out again but there isn't a relationship status established yet.
Dating means you are in an relationship.
But I really have no idea, I've been married so long I forget all these things :laughing:

But you could probably use them interchangeably, the difference would be minuscule.
I agree. Interchangeable. Dating and seeing someone are about the same to me. Boyfriend/girlfriend in most cases in my book is a more serious relationship, above dating and seeing someone, and exclusive. However for me, I could never juggle more than one person whether it would be dating, or seeing someone. So those were exclusive, but less serious than having a girlfriend.

My first instinct was the "seeing" is more casual and "dating" is a serious relationship...although I don't think either implies exclusive, unless stated by the couple.
I agree with this although it might depend on the context. Has somebody expressed interest in you that you were trying to discourage or is a friend our family member asking what's going on with your love life? Personally, I'd probably just say "I have a significant other".

They are pretty much the same thing. They mean whatever the people involved want them to mean.

Hanging out with a person you have romantic interest is, in my experience, more of a friends with benefits situation or a relationship that doesn't have a future.

To me they’re pretty much the same. When I started dating, many moons ago, we also would say you are “going out with” someone.

I always think of dating as not that serious. For instance, some people are set up on "blind dates." People who are meeting for the first time. No one "blind sees" someone. So, to me, seeing someone is when the couple are more serious about each other.

. . . Of course, there's always the case of when one person is more serious than the other person is and tgey haven't really discussed it. The person less serious may say, I'm seeing someone. Whereas, the person more serious may say, "I have a boyfriend, (or girlfriend,)" to establish they think the relationship is more serious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter