Is there a reason why people find the need to stand during Parades/Fireworks/Stage shows

I went to Tokyo Disney earlier this year and as someone who is short, I appreciated that sitting for shows/fireworks and parades is heavily enforced. There is still plenty of standing areas but you are just behind the people who are sitting. Don't want to get gross on the ground? Buy or bring in your own 'leisure sheet', a tarp-like mat large enough to have a couple of people or small children to sit on. Don't want to stand or sit on the ground? Stake out a spot on one of the MANY benches lining the parade route. Seriously, there are tons more benches at TDR than at the US parks. Areas are heavily monitored by CM's. And guests don't question.
My favorite part of this is the family will stake out a sport an hour or so before the show/parade/fireworks and someone will go get food. They bring it back and the family has a picnic. Custodians walk back and forth along the parade route with rolling bins and collect your garbage. And when it's over, they are everywhere to collect more garbage.
Guests don't hurry to run off either after. They take their time and gather their things so there is no trampling of any sort. I absolutely loved it.

There is a travel agency behind me and the Bronco fans have always been cool. But do not get me started on Raider Fans. The bravest people I have ever seen with that attitude and I one gentleman about 10 years ago who got hauled out for throwing batteries.
Raiders fans are a whole class of their own lol.

Out of curiosity, does the little sitting area in the hub still exist for the fireworks? The one with the little fake grass patches inside the pseudo-chain-ropes? Know the one I mean?

Sitting on the floor is too painful for my knees and hips. I had to sit for the Star Wars fireworks and was in a lot of pain, and even more pain when I finally stood up. I also sat for a HEA dessert party, but that was in the grass and not as bad.

Out of curiosity, does the little sitting area in the hub still exist for the fireworks? The one with the little fake grass patches inside the pseudo-chain-ropes? Know the one I mean?
It does, the right side is used for the dessert party but the left is usually available

I have a little blow up seat cushion I try to take in the to the parks with me if I don't I'm a no go for sitting on hard pavement. Everything hurts afterward for days....

I'd be ok if there were sitting area's and standing areas.

At Disneyland, you can actually book a dinner package where they give you a cushion to sit on to watch the Fantasmic show from the ground in a roped-off area. They ask you to sit for the show but to stand before the fireworks start in the same area.

I stand because sitting hurts my back too much after more than 5 minutes. Also, sitting is dangerous and I have been stepped on many times when I've sat. We were in the Illuminations FP area and sitting on the sloped part of the concrete while waiting for the show to start. I had kids step on my fingers, got clocked in the head several times and then had a dad straight up trip over me.

I would prefer if everyone sat like they do in Tokyo, but I know it will never happen here. Maybe an unpopular opinion but in general the guests at Disney World are much less considerate of others and only care about their own experience so they won't take even a second of discomfort to help others around them.

As an example, a couple weeks ago at the Halloween parade, we got a front row spot in frontierland and sat down under the rope. Soon it was filled in next to us by other people that sat down. Then it was filled in behind us with people standing. As soon as it started everyone around us in the front row stood up and blocked the view of the people behind them, which led to many groans and those people trying to squeeze into the front row so they could see. It wasn't some heroic act that we decided to stay seated, just common courtesy that I wish more people would follow. It really feels like every man for himself at Disney, especially around show times.
Discomfort and pain are 2 totally different things, and I hope for your sake you won't have to find that out the hard way.

Yes, there are a number of reasons. I am short. I would love to sit on the ground. Unfortunately, if I try I won’t be able to get back up. Physical limitations and old age make sitting on the ground difficult and even impossible for some people.

Also, in the dark, older people have more trouble with their vision, so tripping over people is a potential hazard for both sitting and standing individuals in the event that someone has to leave.

I agree that separate sitting and standing areas would be nice....but in the meantime people that are told that they can stand by CMs are not being selfish if they choose to watch standing. They are only taking part in the event.

Sometimes cm make people in the garden stand too. We intentionally showed up early to grab a spot there because I had read on here most people in the garden sit. I thought that was the entire point of an enclosed “grass” area. About 15mn before the fireworks cm were going through telling everybody to stand up. They were having a hard time of it- most people ignored them at first. I must admit I did sit back down for
a few minutes because nobody else around me stood. The CM became more insistent and most people did eventually stand, but nobody was happy about it.

It does, the right side is used for the dessert party but the left is usually available

I have done the plaza desert party 3 times now. Most of the people stand up there as well although a few choose to sit. Luckily there's enough room for the standers to move up front and the sitters to stay in the back and still have a clear view.

Last edited:
If chairs are provided, I would expect people to sit. Otherwise, I don't believe it's reasonable to expect people to sit on the pavement or in the grass.

2becd60f9daf3303e78b38878957d1e2.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!