Is there a reason why people find the need to stand during Parades/Fireworks/Stage shows

I understand holding a small child so they can see. I remember what it was like to be 3 at WDW, and how frustrating and boring it was to look at strangers' behinds, and all the adults were enjoying the show, and I felt left out, tired, and bored. Oh, hated that!

You can hold a kid up where they can see without putting them on your shoulders and blocking everyone behind you. We had my nephew ride piggyback watching HEA, so he could see from the same level we could.

Probably for the same reasons that people stand at music concerts. Though I never have been able to figure that one out either. :confused3 :sad2:

Same thing with the tablet people. :sad2:

Freedom. If I want to stand. I’ll stand. Sit. I’ll sit. Different strokes for different folks.

I stand because I was caught in an actual stampede before and witnessed people who had been sitting on the floor be trampled on, resulting in serious injury. If there is ever an emergency I do not want to have to try to get out of that position, especially after witnessing the injuries first-hand. I never ever sit on the ground unless I'm somewhere like a park with lots of open space that would give me the precious seconds to stand up if something were to happen. My safety is worth a lot to me.

You can hold a kid up where they can see without putting them on your shoulders and blocking everyone behind you. We had my nephew ride piggyback watching HEA, so he could see from the same level we could.

Sure, in theory. But who is going to ask them to do this?

You can try if you want.

I suspect many folks will respond as they have in this thread, and they will just give you a reason why they want to keep doing it their way.

I've seen many threads like this one. I have yet to see someone happy to accept anyone's invitation to change their behavior.

But who knows? Maybe today will be the day someone responds with, "I welcome your suggestion, and from now on I will sit during the parade."

Everybody has different thoughts on whether you should sit or stand. Personally I feel that parades and fireworks shows are to be viewed standing. I don't have any desire to sit on the floor or grass.

I stand because I was caught in an actual stampede before and witnessed people who had been sitting on the floor be trampled on, resulting in serious injury. If there is ever an emergency I do not want to have to try to get out of that position, especially after witnessing the injuries first-hand. I never ever sit on the ground unless I'm somewhere like a park with lots of open space that would give me the precious seconds to stand up if something were to happen. My safety is worth a lot to me.

I've been in crowds that were - not quite panic- but close. It is scary.

Unwelcome groping is another problem in thick crowds. People act like animals because they can.

But that brings me around to a potential remedy!

Once when I was I a crowd like this, someone started mooing. Loudly! Like a cow. Many folks quickly copied, and then most of the crowd started laughing.

I've never forgotten that experience, and have used the same trick a number of times!

People always seem to love the joke!

In my personal case i can't sit on the ground since i have knee problems, i do arrive very early and stand the entire time so people behind me know I'll be standing.
As PP said there's also a matter of safety, if some are standing and some sitting it creates an unsafe environment in the case of a mass stampede
I have knee problems as well and, if I sit on the ground, you might as well go get a crane to get me back up! I'm also quite short, so I do try to get as close to the front of the line as possible. I don't take up that much room, so it usually works out ok for me.

My first trip to WDW was in the year I turned 40. In those days, I could walk all day, but standing still for as little as 10 min was a deal breaker. I love Disney parades and fireworks, and have seen disappointing few of any with an unobstructed view. Now there is the option of paying nearly $100 to get a seat at an MK or Epcot dessert party. yay

I have aged to the point of occasionally needing an EVC to enjoy a full park day, and appreciate the seat beyond words. However, unless we get our whole group to a handicapped viewing area, there is little chance of getting more than a glimpse. I see a sea of backs. Have always felt Disney Parks could easily incorporate an attractive low bench around World Showcase Lagoon.

And don’t get me started on Circlevision theatre... that is a hard pass for me. Slowing moving lines are no problem but those which are stationary for more than a few minutes at a time, not an option.

I prefer standing -- I think its safest. Once it is dark, it is very hard to maneuver around people sitting on the ground. And especially in case of emergency.

If sitting became the norm, they'd have to create some sort of massive stroller parking area, otherwise someone could be sitting right behind a stroller block views. Folding them would take up lots of room on the ground, and be a trip hazard. Would also be very inconvenient for families with small children who sleep in their strollers. I just prefer to stand. I've been going to WDW for 35 years and have never sat on the ground to view MK fireworks. We also usually stand in Frontierland for parades. I don't like sitting on the ground - its not comfortable, it's dirty, etc.

At MK on the day after Christmas (2018) we arrived very early for the Christmas parade. We got first row in a prime location and we stood the whole time. The people behind us with kids pitched a fit because their kids couldn't see. They grumbled about us through the entire parade because we would not sit down (even though this family arrived a good 25 or 30 minutes after we had arrived). My DH has a bad back and I enjoy taking photos; we weren't going to sit. I posted about the experience back when it happened. One kid kept sticking his head between our legs.

I have a hard time sitting because of my knees. What drives me nuts is people who put their kids on their shoulders. Totally blocking everyone behind.

Yes, this!! We were watching HEA a few months ago and felt that we had a very nice spot. Just as the show started, the 3 adults right in front of us popped their kids up on their shoulders. Basically, a nine-foot wall that blocked us from seeing any of the projections. And, at that point, it was way too crowded or dark to try and move to find another spot. The most annoying part: we had staked out our spot early and they squeezed in front of us 10 minutes before the show started.

There were a ton of people sitting down around the hub before the fireworks when I went to the Halloween party last week. It was crowded, but not too crowded that you couldn't maneuver, but it was very dark. I stepped on a child's hand.

Obviously I didn't intend to, but I could barely anything on the ground, let alone see a child's tiny hand. The mother was furious and I apologized profusely, saying obviously I didn't mean to do it, but that it wasn't safe to be sitting down on the concrete in the dark in a massive group of people. I could tell she wanted a fight, so I just moved to another viewing spot.

It's just common sense. You should be standing up in a big crowd, both during the show and before it.

My daughter stands at parades and asks me to as well to help hand her lenses as she is an avid photographer and snapping pics from a seated position does not get a very good shot of the magnificent floats and great costumes etc. She values the parades over everything else she does at WDW and takes a great deal of team out one her day to get what she feels is just the right spot for best photos. So thank God we are allowed to stand as she invests a lot of her time and energy into her photos.

Freedom. If I want to stand. I’ll stand. Sit. I’ll sit. Different strokes for different folks.

Thank you for your comment. In those few words you have clearly defind the social interaction problems that we are currently having. I will do what I want, what makes me feel good and I don't really care about any other person around me. It's my freedom

Last month I was harassed by a number of people who arrived after I did for the Star Wars Galactic Spectacular. I deliberately chose an area where no one was sitting behind me as I knew that I would be standing for the show, but of course a bunch of people moved in just before it started, and they wanted to sit down. The first person who approached me was at least polite. I explained to her that I'm 69 years old, I have chronic pain issues and bad knees and hips, and if I sat down I wasn't going to be able to get up again. I pointed out some spots in front of me where she could easily sit, and she and her group apologized and moved into those spots. After that, people heckled and yelled at me, and they eventually got a CM involved. He came over and assured me that he was NOT going to make me sit down or move. By then the show had started, and I don't know if those behind me moved or just sat there and stewed about it. I do know that I felt humiliated by the whole experience. It was not my intention to spoil anyone's view, and to be honest I probably would have just left if my son hadn't insisted that I had the right to stand where I was. (The CM agreed with him about that.) Last week I was back at HS (Florida resident AP here) and we decided to at least try to watch the show again. This time we had no issues and I was actually able to enjoy it. I'm sure I'll continue to worry that this will happen again, though. Those people have no idea how much I wish I could plop down on the pavement and relax while watching, but those days are long past for me.

Thank you for your comment. In those few words you have clearly defind the social interaction problems that we are currently having. I will do what I want, what makes me feel good and I don't really care about any other person around me. It's my freedom
How is what I said even controversial? Some sit, some stand. Disney even prefers one to stand... but they also may sit. Some folks on here talks about how it dangerous to maneuver around sitting people. Either way, stand or sit is a personal choice. Nothing more than that. In the end, it’s personal freedom to choose.
As for what’s you said. I think it’s the opposite. Too many people do care about what others do. When most of the time. It’ not anyone’s business.

Last edited:
Years ago we staked out spots on the curb for the Main Street parade. My daughters sat right on the curb, no problems, until the parade was about to begin. A group (way in the back) was trying to push forward because they had small kids. "excuse me my child can't see, let us through" They tried to get in front of us but my girls held fast. They put their kids ON THE STREET to "dance" a CM came up to the group next to us (thinking the kids were theirs) and asked them to get the kids off the street. The idiot parents (in the back) seized the opportunity to try to move to the front, but the people next to us created a path and shoved the kids back...
And don't get me started on people who hold up phones and tablets. Really? you're videoing fireworks. Are you really going to sit a home and watch the lousy recording? hearing all the people around you talking? (I'm sure some people do, it's really not my thing.) besides you can watch the beautiful Disney recording that is flawless.

Last month I was harassed by a number of people who arrived after I did for the Star Wars Galactic Spectacular. I deliberately chose an area where no one was sitting behind me as I knew that I would be standing for the show, but of course a bunch of people moved in just before it started, and they wanted to sit down. The first person who approached me was at least polite. I explained to her that I'm 69 years old, I have chronic pain issues and bad knees and hips, and if I sat down I wasn't going to be able to get up again. I pointed out some spots in front of me where she could easily sit, and she and her group apologized and moved into those spots. After that, people heckled and yelled at me, and they eventually got a CM involved. He came over and assured me that he was NOT going to make me sit down or move. By then the show had started, and I don't know if those behind me moved or just sat there and stewed about it. I do know that I felt humiliated by the whole experience. It was not my intention to spoil anyone's view, and to be honest I probably would have just left if my son hadn't insisted that I had the right to stand where I was. (The CM agreed with him about that.) Last week I was back at HS (Florida resident AP here) and we decided to at least try to watch the show again. This time we had no issues and I was actually able to enjoy it. I'm sure I'll continue to worry that this will happen again, though. Those people have no idea how much I wish I could plop down on the pavement and relax while watching, but those days are long past for me.

I had a similar experience one in the MK. It was terrible to the point I never go to see the fireworks anymore unless I have a dessert party with viewing where I know that I have a chair or a place where I can stand with no one able to get behind me (against a tree/fence).

It happens to me at least once a month, I've grown a thick skin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter