Is this possible? Or am I spitting in the wind?

Ariel Wanna-be

“And when my time is up, have I done enough?”
About three years ago, I started having trouble with my left Achilles tendon. Within months, it was so bad that I had to quit working out. I tried everything to "fix" the tendon - exercise, physical therapy, a walking cast, etc., but nothing helped. As a result, I've gained a considerable amount of weight. :( While I was never really "skinny" before the heel trouble, I was in reasonably decent shape, and was in a clothes size that I was happy with.

As nothing else had worked, my ortho said it was time for a surgical fix. The recovery time is EIGHT WEEKS, and for the first four weeks, I can put zero weight on that foot. I had to wait for the summer to fix it (I'm a teacher).

Anyway, I had the surgery yesterday, and this morning I joined weight watchers. While my activity level was not particularly high before the surgery (because of the heel pain), I was moving around all day as I taught, so there was *some* exercise involved. Now, I'm completely sedentary, and will be for a month. I'm terrified about gaining more weight, which is why I joined WW.

What I'd like to know is if it is reasonable to expect visible results (1-2 pounds a week) with zero exercise. My thought process is that if I can get into healthy eating patterns with no activity, then when I *am* able to walk around some, the weight will come off even more.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

I AM SOOOOOO READY to be back in shape!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's possible, but you will really have to watch what you're eating. I count calories, so I put everything that I eat throughout the day into the MyFitnessPal app on my phone. Try to cut out any empty calories (soda, ice cream, etc) and drink plenty of water. For me it's easier to watch what I eat than trying to burn it off later.

I have an office job, so most days I don't move very much. I've lost 112 pounds by primarily counting calories, but I do exercise (walk) when I have a chance. I know you can't do cardio, but you could probably lift light weights. When you start recovering, swimming is very low impact and it's great exercise if you have access to a pool.

I am a teacher on WW. My movement was minimal at first and I lost. I guess it will depend on what your food choices were before joining.

I would recommend that you eat all the points you are allowed and even dip into those weeklies so your body doesn’t think it is starving. Then when you can move more you can continue to eat and lose.

Can you lift hand weights while you are immobile? Can you navigate on crutches a bit? A WW friend was on crutches and still moving a few 1000 steps per day.

And get on the Connect board on the WW app.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!