Is Uber really that much of a time saver?

I’m going to semi hijack this post but thoughts about using Uber/Lyft at 4am for SWGE opening in September? Assuming busses start running an hour pre opening, it means first bus is at 5am which seems late to queue up for a 6am park opening.
You should be okay because that's the time some drivers would be out looking for early airport rides. Maybe Joel or someone else can give better local information.

You should complain to Lyft about that ride. They may refund (or at least adjust) your fare.

In the driver's defense, Lyft has been having problems with pickup and dropoff locations for several months and so far doesn't seem to be able to fix the problem...which is actually even more reason why they should adjust your fare.

Also, next time, put the Contemporary as your destination and walk from there. If you put MK, the TTC is the correct dropoff, because Uber/Lyft drivers cannot go to the bus dropoff at MK. But they can go to the CR.
Actually, I was planning to take the bus but my daughter got the Lyft without consulting me. It was worth the misadventure just to hear her admit she was wrong!😄 I never even thought about complaining as I’m not a Lyft user ordinarily, but good to know I could’ve/should’ve!

Actually, I was planning to take the bus but my daughter got the Lyft without consulting me. It was worth the misadventure just to hear her admit she was wrong!😄 I never even thought about complaining as I’m not a Lyft user ordinarily, but good to know I could’ve/should’ve!
Well, if she actually admitted she was wrong, that's worth more than a small fare adjustment!

I used Uber in March several times to come home from other resorts or Disney Springs after a late dinner. Was just not feeling taking a bus or boat to a park and then another back to AKL. Saved me a lot of time and I got a bunch of offers from Uber that saved me more money. I would not hesitate to do it again.

Uber is much quicker and nicer than taking the busses! Ubers always seem to come very quickly and since you’re going directly to your destination and don’t have to wait for other guests, the ride is much faster. I feel like I’m buying time when I use an Uber. Minivans are fun cute but my experience is that they take longer to arrive and cost more. Do the drop off and pick up at the contemporary for the mk.
Have fun!!

I’m going to semi hijack this post but thoughts about using Uber/Lyft at 4am for SWGE opening in September? Assuming busses start running an hour pre opening, it means first bus is at 5am which seems late to queue up for a 6am park opening.

I think once SWGE opens and reports start coming out, you'll find out the busses are running well before 5am.

Last June I was trying to get to AK for a 7am EMH, which means rope drop is around 6:30-6:40. First trip I missed a pre-6am bus (per the MDE app) & got on the next bus at 6:10. I did not make it to RD. Next try, I was at the bus stop by 5:50 & we were long gone by 6am...that time I made it to RD.

IOW, they start before 'one hour prior to park opening' that's just the official line, not reality. You are correct, anyone waiting to approach the bus stop 1 hour prior to opening would likely miss a RD.

Last edited:
It depends when you are leaving park, if it's after the fireworks where you could wait for multiple busses then it's priceless!

I've Ubered (is that a word?!) many times in the wee hours & never waited more than 5 minutes for one.

Minnie vans are great! Expensive, but great. And they drop you off right at Magic Kingdom rather than the TTC. We took a regular Lyft to MK & ended up with a driver who spoke no English & we ended up in a restricted area! he didn’t know where to go after that & I ended up trying to give him directions with the help of some nice guy who tried to tell me where to go. And then we were dropped off at the TTC anyway, so NO time was saved by that little Lyft adventure!

Something like this happened to us last week at the Fort Wilderness Campground. We had an ADR for Trail's End and we were running behind. We called Lyft. We have only ridden the boat to TE so we had no idea which way to go. Anyway, the driver spoke no english and we ended up on the actual campgrounds near people's campers :eek:. All he kept saying was "left, right?." No we are going the wrong way. I finally flagged down a family to point us in the right direction, which they did and we made it just in time to our ADR. We had been using Lyft all week with no problems.

I'll say this that we had our eyes opened to Lyft on our last trip in August. We got to our timeshare in the afternoon (outside of the world across from Disney Springs) after driving from Austin and my wife and I had a date night planned at DS. I didn't feel like driving so we decided to try Lyft for the first time in our lives. When I registered they gave me 4 coupons for something like $5 off/ride or something like that. Anyway we took an Lyft from our timeshare to DS and the driver was very good and talkative. It cost us about $10 including tip. Then we went to the queue for Lyft and called a lift and the guy rolled down his window and waved. It was like 10 seconds max. That ride cost us about $11 including tip.

Then the last day we were at WDW my teen felt sick and wasn't having epcot so my parents volunteered to take her and my son back to the timeshare in our van. My wife and I and middle daughter stayed in world showcase for several hours before returning back to the timeshare. Well afterward we walked out of Epcot and as we were walking past the security check I hailed a Lyft and it was literally there when we walked to the curb. It was amazing! and cost maybe $12 total including tip.

If I could have gotten 7 people in the Lyft we probably would have avoided driving to WDW at all and just Lyft around the entire time. It would have cost the same as parking and would have gotten us closer to the parks since we were offsite.

For our trip in 1 month my wife and I are going as a couple to F&W and we are going to use Lyft instead of the Disney transportation for getting to MK, AK, and DS. We are staying at BCV so we won't need transportation to Epcot or DHS. This way we can get around quick and not worry about waiting for buses. I'll comment back on what we find.

On another note I have started using Lyft in Austin when I need to pick up a car at the shop or anything like that. It is much easier than trying to hitch a ride from someone to get to the shop.

Something like this happened to us last week at the Fort Wilderness Campground. We had an ADR for Trail's End and we were running behind. We called Lyft. We have only ridden the boat to TE so we had no idea which way to go. Anyway, the driver spoke no english and we ended up on the actual campgrounds near people's campers :eek:. All he kept saying was "left, right?." No we are going the wrong way. I finally flagged down a family to point us in the right direction, which they did and we made it just in time to our ADR. We had been using Lyft all week with no problems.
I think we must have had the same driver!!😅

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter