Is your trip still going ahead?

We’ve booked for September (flying out 17th with Virgin) after my birthday trip to Paris was cancelled along with out DLP race weekend this coming weekend. We have a 3 night cruise booked before 7 nights in WDW. I’m ever hopeful that it will go ahead but am also fully prepared for it to be cancelled. We already have a back up plan just in case but I could really do with a Disney fix.
The news today about Virgin hasn’t helped either, we were booked for the bubble on the 747 but at the moment if things are open and flights going ahead I will take an offered flight from Heathrow instead.
All we can do is sit back and wait, I desperately want to get excited and make plans but I can’t bring myself to yet.

I am supposed to be going on 6th September due to problems I hadn’t booked flights in March so when I cancel it will only be a £50 deposit I lose. Will book later on for next year.

I'm going end of September and at the moment still positive & hopeful it will go ahead. I've already had my March DLP and April Orlando trips cancelled, really don't want it to happen again!

our daughter is booked for August and while she hasn't cancelled yet, she's assuming she will have to cancel.
For one thing, i don't know if there will be flights yet at that time (we fly in from Israel), and as of now, there is no travel medical insurance available for travel to the USA (from Israel). I assume that will change once the skies open again, but who knows. The US medical system is extremely expensive, so i think that given corona, insurance companies prefer to avoid the possibility of being stuck with huge costs.

Also, she figures that even if there are flights and insurance, the experience at WDW this summer will be much less than optimal, so not worth the huge amount of money it costs for the two of them to go there for 2 weeks.

My husband and i have a trip scheduled to California in October for an adventures by disney tour, a disney wonder cruise and a visit to disneyland.
I'm planning on cancelling because the two of us are high risk and presumably there still won't be a vaccine at that time.

Last edited:
As of tonight ....No , No it is not going ahead and I’m sad about it, yes it’s best to be safe, However we booked it long before the pandemic broke out and needed our vacation.
It’s been three years since our last vacation and now looks like we need to wait another two years before it’s safe to travel. Gonna have to go through all the hoops now to get our money back and I’m not looking forward to that at all. Vouchers are no good to us.. it’s almost impossible to get time off work together as it is and the people I work with don’t like to change their dates at all, hubby has to put his in at the beginning of the year and it’s on a first come basis for him too. Won’t get the overnight hotel booking back or the cattery fees or the extra party tickets fees for MNSSHP ... I guess it’s better than catching the virus though.

Dont lose heart . Dont know who you were flying with but we got a full refund for BA and also from Disney and our deposit back from Universal ( had not paid the outstanding amount before this all broke)

Dont lose heart . Dont know who you were flying with but we got a full refund for BA and also from Disney and our deposit back from Universal ( had not paid the outstanding amount before this all broke)
That was good of them, we were due to fly with BA in October had paid in full for business class seats out and their equivalent of PE back. We also had AKL booked and part paid off with WDTC and the MNSSHP tickets and had all our dining booked. Really don’t know what to do from here on out. We both work long shifts and will probably have to contact them on Friday this week to get refunds if we can ( don’t know if we’ll lose our deposits ) It looks unlikely we’ll be going anywhere for quite some time..

Was due to fly out 4th September with BA from Gatwick but I highly doubt we’ll be going! Waiting for as long as possible to move the trip to September 2021 mainly to see if free dining is released for next year for the same kind of dates. In terms of the flights I’m hoping they can cancelled and I can get a refund but if not fingers crossed for some sort of credit! Just feels way too risky to take an international flight right now and I’d be so on edge I wouldn’t enjoy the trip!

I don't think even if Disney is open that travelling with insurance that doesn't cover Covid sounds like a good idea. Will cancel and use some of the money to buy that second hand piano I have been wanting for a long time. Time to make lemonade out of lemons.

I am still holding on to our, now, 1 July trip. I spoke to the kennels this morning and they are open and have waived their cancellation fees. Just charging £30 admin fee if people cancel, which is incredibly generous and unexpected. I am hoping for the best, have great ADRs and FPs but if the trip is cancelled that is fine too.

That was good of them, we were due to fly with BA in October had paid in full for business class seats out and their equivalent of PE back. We also had AKL booked and part paid off with WDTC and the MNSSHP tickets and had all our dining booked. Really don’t know what to do from here on out. We both work long shifts and will probably have to contact them on Friday this week to get refunds if we can ( don’t know if we’ll lose our deposits ) It looks unlikely we’ll be going anywhere for quite some time..
A word of advice when I called BA the call handler advised me to wait until BA cancelled the flight and then I could claim a money refund otherwise if I chose to cancel I would only be able to get a voucher to defer until a later date ( I think they said 12 months ahead). We got our email to notify of cancelled flight on the 3rd of May for our 30th June booking. In terms of Disney our travel agent contacted them in March when this all began and they refunded the whole amount from that time so it would be advisable to contact them first and ask about the best way to secure refunds rather than vouchers unless you are happy to defer to 2021 - our circumstances would change significantly next year so we chose the cash refund

Was due to fly out 4th September with BA from Gatwick but I highly doubt we’ll be going! Waiting for as long as possible to move the trip to September 2021 mainly to see if free dining is released for next year for the same kind of dates. In terms of the flights I’m hoping they can cancelled and I can get a refund but if not fingers crossed for some sort of credit! Just feels way too risky to take an international flight right now and I’d be so on edge I wouldn’t enjoy the trip!
Natalie have you tried talking to your travel insurance provider? I called mine at the weekend and they agreed if Disney move the existing booking, rather than cancel and make a new one, they would still provide cover. Even better they said they would pay out on this years flights and cover next years, booked DIY. This is important not only for the money but you may not be able to get insurance for next year. Personally I’d have accepted the losing the flight money, I’ve written it off in my mind already as being the loss of a normal years holiday money! Worth a call.

So our insurance company were not so great. Can only get cover if we book 1 year after booking the travel insurance. So can either fly in January or not be covered for Covid19. They said it is a UK law but i have nevery heard of it before.

Becuase of this we are going to cancel with Ocena Florida and hopefully rebook with disney direct for next September/October. Because if we are going to have to fly without the cover for that i want to have as small a deposit and as wide a window as possible. 3 months out is just too stressful. Holding off for free dining so fingers crossed. Just hoping that something comes out before End of june saying no travel or cancelled flights but looks like we are going to lose our deposit. 850 quid down the drain.

So our insurance company were not so great. Can only get cover if we book 1 year after booking the travel insurance. So can either fly in January or not be covered for Covid19. They said it is a UK law but i have nevery heard of it before.

Becuase of this we are going to cancel with Ocena Florida and hopefully rebook with disney direct for next September/October. Because if we are going to have to fly without the cover for that i want to have as small a deposit and as wide a window as possible. 3 months out is just too stressful. Holding off for free dining so fingers crossed. Just hoping that something comes out before End of june saying no travel or cancelled flights but looks like we are going to lose our deposit. 850 quid down the drain.
There has always been T&C’s about Pandemic‘s just we never read all the pages of the book, or just rightly think that’s not going to happen. Pretty much all, if not all, companies have come and said Covid19 will not be covered for new bookings as it is now a known event. I would not personally be making any bookings if I did not know I could get/have travel insurance. Can you imagine the cost of healthcare in the US if you had to pay!

Can only get cover if we book 1 year after booking the travel insurance
I don’t understand this. Are you sure that the insurers didn’t just say that they are only offering ‘Covid cover’ for those who renew their annual insurance policies?

Natalie have you tried talking to your travel insurance provider? I called mine at the weekend and they agreed if Disney move the existing booking, rather than cancel and make a new one, they would still provide cover. Even better they said they would pay out on this years flights and cover next years, booked DIY. This is important not only for the money but you may not be able to get insurance for next year. Personally I’d have accepted the losing the flight money, I’ve written it off in my mind already as being the loss of a normal years holiday money! Worth a call.

Thanks for this - will give them a call! I mean I’m prepared to lose the flight money if it comes to it because like you in my mind I’ve already sort of accepted not getting it back and anything else is a bonus! I mean over £1000 to lose in total but even with that in mind it just doesn’t seem worth the risk to travel!

There has always been T&C’s about Pandemic‘s just we never read all the pages of the book, or just rightly think that’s not going to happen. Pretty much all, if not all, companies have come and said Covid19 will not be covered for new bookings as it is now a known event. I would not personally be making any bookings if I did not know I could get/have travel insurance. Can you imagine the cost of healthcare in the US if you had to pay!

going to the US without travel insurance is a non-starter.
You can go bankrupt just going to the hospital for a day there without insurance coverage.

for our October trip, i know i'm going to lose the nonrefundable deposit for our Adventures by Disney tour.
So that's $1,000 down the tubes.
And the train tickets i bought - so another $200 (disneyland to san diego and back).
All of the hotels can be cancelled without penalty so that's good (except for the post ABD hotel)
The deposit for the DCL cruise is refundable, so i'll get that back.

As for the plane tickets, i'm hoping the airline will give us a credit, but it's not a given.
Until yesterday, i didn't even know if there would be an airline, and it's still not for sure.
But the government offered bank guarantees to help it stay in business so that's one good thing, though the agreement hasn't been approved by the pilots union yet.
But even if the airline doesn't go under, i don't know if i'm going to lose the entire $2,000 in plane tickets (two plane tickets to LA).

Worst case scenario: we lose $3,200 when I cancel the October trip to California.
Best case scenario: we lose "only" $1,200

I don’t understand this. Are you sure that the insurers didn’t just say that they are only offering ‘Covid cover’ for those who renew their annual insurance policies?
Nope.

If i rebook my holiday within one year of booking my travel insurace ie i booked it on jan 28 2020..so if i booked it jan 27 2021. They will transfer it and covid will still be covered. If i want to travel after that date it means no cover for Covid19 or any mutations.

A lot of other insurance companies are allowing people to transfer their dates without this restriction.

I think it works out better for them in the short term as they dont need to pay out claims just move it. I am going to call customer service this week and actually speak to someone because they quoted some very weird reasons to me on live chat and i would like to actually speak to someone.

As someone has said before. Unless we are insured no way am i going to the USA without a vaccine. At least not for a couple of years.

It is really quite devastating. As i had accepted the fact that this year was a no go. But next year aswell. I know first world problems but it is still upsetting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter