It’s Disney, Four Hours of Sleep is Normal! Mother Daughter 2018 F&W TR! (Updated 9/22!)

So frustrating that Disney can't make dining reservations easier! I have two things I need to book that currently end in June and one for Cali Grill brunch that I haven't been able to snag. I feel your frustrations!

I don't think you'll have an issue being a group of 2 instead of 3, probably just if it was for 1 person and you had 2!

I know, it shouldn't be this hard to make a reservation! Oh well, it all worked out at least and we're trying new stuff, so we're happy! Good luck with getting the Cali Grill brunch, hopefully something opens up soon!

Just read all of your report - loved it! Looks like we will be there the same time this year! We will be staying at the Beach Club and I absolutely cannot wait!!

Aw, thank you!

We are so excited for the trip this year too, we love our food and wine adventures! We're going to be at the Yacht Club this time around, so maybe we'll run into you at the pool!

Your September trip sounds great! Gosh, I wish they’d release F&W info earlier given the 180 day window. Cabanas sound great!!!

Alright, I am failing miserably on keeping up with the pre-trip excitement. Sorry to anyone who was trying to follow along with the planning fun, I promise I'll be better soon! On the same note, the reason I'm failing so miserably is because I have another awesome trip coming up soon that's for once not to Disney! We're going to the Azores! :banana:

We've been planning this for over a year now, but now that we're getting super close to actually going the planning has ramped up and I just discovered the my Google maps thing where you can add your own itinerary and do different layers for different days, and map out driving routes and hiking routes, and oh my, there is so much planning happening right now! Not to mention I'm also doing my best to learn basic Portuguese before I go! HA! Oh, then there's that full time job where I try to run an office, yeah that takes some time too.

We are still very much planning Disney though, albeit not quite as much at the current time. Our latest dilemma, do we go Illuminations on its last night, or do we avoid the crowds and stick with our original plan of hitting up Jellyrolls that night? We saw that WDWNT is having a party that night in a special viewing area and were thinking if the tickets were in the same range as PFTS we might actually splurge for that since based on past years it doesn't look like a PFTS will happen the weekend we're there. Ugh, so many choices to spend money! Haha, Disney is really good at that!

Anyways, the Disney planning reports will start up strong soon! Plus I may have to share some fun from the Azores!

Happy Mother's Day! Going to do a quick PTR update since Disney dropped the Food and Wine Events this week and booking is coming up FAST!

Was anyone else completely shocked that the F&W events were released this week?!? So early this year! Plus with booking this week it seems this trip is coming up faster than normal! Hoping with the super early booking date this year, most people won't realize it's time to book yet so we won't get stuck waiting on the phone for an hour to get our events! Even last year with the earlier booking in June the wait seemed better than in years past, so fingers crossed it will be even better this year!

Now, for the decision on what special events we'll do. There are surprisingly few special events during our trip this year, which on one hand is great for us since we can be a bit indecisive, on the other hand it's a bummer that the number of events seem to be decreasing every year. We definitely want to do something new, which really really limits us. Basically we can do the Mediterranean Food and Wine event and the Italian Food and Wine vs Beer event. On top of that, the Italian one doesn't fit well in our schedule....so I guess we're doing the Mediterranean one!

*mini rant* I'm actually a tad disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about trying the Mediterranean event, but every year we've done about 3 special events, and this year it looks like we'll only do one due to the lack of events during our trip and how events fit in our schedule. Of the events that fall during our trip, two are on the Saturday that is already overbooked due to the issues making ADRs, one kinda sorta fits in the schedule but poorly, one actually does fit, and the rest we've already done. I went through some previous years planning papers, and we used to have a full page of options to pick from, and even ignoring the schedule issues for this year, there are only six events to pick from, of which we've done two already! It seems they are really limiting the overall number of events, especially in September. Ok, rant over!

So back to planning. We were tempted to add the Mexican Tequila lunch, but we've done it twice already, so instead decided to do lunch that day at the food booths and try new stuff. We were hoping we would be able to go the PFTS again this year, but sadly it's not happening while we're there. I did know going into this trip that it likely wouldn't be offered when we're there based on past years schedules, but I really really hoped Disney would add more events this year!

Since it seems so weird only having one special food and wine event in the schedule, we've hit a dilemma. Do we try to squeeze in the Italian Food, Wine vs Beer lunch? The lunch (or Linner?...this thing takes up the entire afternoon!) falls on the day we're going to MNSSHP. Our current plans have us doing dinner at LTT at 4:00 to kick off the party, but we could potentially do the Italian lunch/dinner which ends at 4:15, count that as dinner, then head over to the party afterwards. It could be an interesting way to spend the day! One thing that concerns me though, is last year after the Italian Regional Food and Wine event my mom got really really sick. She thinks now it was due to all the drinks we had, they were free flowing throughout the event and we definitely left pretty tipsy. So obviously we don't want her being sick during the party, and with both beer and wine being served, I suspect it may be another tipsy event! It's a tough call, but I think we're probably leaning towards keeping our current plans...although we still have three days to change our minds! :rotfl2:

We are also considering doing one of the mini events, like the cheese tasting or one of the low cost food and beverage pairings. Has anyone done those? Any reviews? There is one of the food and beverage pairings that interests my mom because they are serving lamb, and she LOVES lamb. I'm assuming based on the cost it's a pretty tiny serving though, anyone know if that's an accurate assumption?

On top of all the food and wine fun, the recent news of all the early EMH's is huge for us! My mom is a super early riser, like 3:30 is a normal time for her to be awake. I'm not that early of a riser, but I do wake up at 4:35 during the week for practice, so it's something I'm used to doing. Because we're booth good at mornings, we're thinking of taking advantage of the EEMH at HS and heading over there in the mornings before our regularly scheduled days! We may try to get into SW:GE, but if it's nuts, we figure we could go on whatever other rides are open at that time and have hopefully super short waits! I know after last years trip where we were running around like crazy all week we said we'd take it slower this year....buuuut it looks like we may be running around like crazy once again! Oops!

Anyways, that's all the new planning going on this week. Our schedule is really starting to firm up now, until of course Disney releases some new event we just have to do! (Fingers crossed for another September DAH!)

I love me some Food & Wine planning! I’m shocked (pleasantly) that it’s out so early this year. Like you, I’m a bit underwhelmed at the offerings.

I did three food and beverage pairings last year and LOVED them. But I went specifically for chefs/sommeliers I “knew” (a Top Chef winner, Chef Scott from V&A, and George & his chef from Wine Bar George). You’ll see on the F&W thread that others attended some they didn’t enjoy. It is a pretty small plate and drink portion.

I have had hit or miss experiences at the beverage seminars. The pours are extraordinarily small but I have found that if it’s the owner or winemaker or a master sommelier presenting it can be really interesting. I tend to steer clear of those with a “beverage presenter”

I’m going to give PFTS another try thanks to your much improved rating last year. Thank you for that! I’ve also only done the tequila lunch & Italian regional lunch (loved both) so will try to pick something new- I’m between wine vs. beer or French family meal, if you have a suggestion.

If looking to supplement your agenda, there’s the culinary tour at AKL (free) or the wine tasting at Jiko. I signed up for the latter for Oct. Several of the deluxe resorts have the painting with a view events that I’m pretty sure involve wine. If you haven’t visited Wine Bar George, they’d do a tasting for you “on the fly”. Or have you tried “Highway in the Sky”? Or do your own monorail tour. Forgive me if you’ve done all of these and I’m not remembering. :flower3:

I love me some Food & Wine planning! I’m shocked (pleasantly) that it’s out so early this year. Like you, I’m a bit underwhelmed at the offerings.

It's so awesome how early they released information this year....must be easier with fewer events to plan! :rotfl:Based on the lack of events this year in September, we actually decided today to move our trip in 2020 to be mostly in October now!

I did three food and beverage pairings last year and LOVED them. But I went specifically for chefs/sommeliers I “knew” (a Top Chef winner, Chef Scott from V&A, and George & his chef from Wine Bar George). You’ll see on the F&W thread that others attended some they didn’t enjoy. It is a pretty small plate and drink portion.

Good to know, thanks! My mom knows the chef that will be at that one and is pretty excited, so I think she'll be happy even with small servings. We're planning on hitting up the food booths that day anyways, so if it's not enough food we have options.

I have had hit or miss experiences at the beverage seminars. The pours are extraordinarily small but I have found that if it’s the owner or winemaker or a master sommelier presenting it can be really interesting. I tend to steer clear of those with a “beverage presenter”

Ohhh, interesting. We'll keep that in mind, haven't actually looking into any of the beverage seminars while we're there, but that could be a fun thing to add in our free time.

I’m going to give PFTS another try thanks to your much improved rating last year. Thank you for that! I’ve also only done the tequila lunch & Italian regional lunch (loved both) so will try to pick something new- I’m between wine vs. beer or French family meal, if you have a suggestion.

Yay! That is awesome! I'm so sad we don't get to go this year, last year's event was so awesome! I hope you have a fantastic time! As for the lunches, goodness, you picked two that are are on the top of our list! I think if I had to pick, I'd do the French Family Meal, but I really like French food, our last meal at Monsieur Paul's was one of my favorites ever. The wine vs beer sounds awesome too though, so I don't think you could go wrong with whichever one you pick!

If looking to supplement your agenda, there’s the culinary tour at AKL (free) or the wine tasting at Jiko. I signed up for the latter for Oct. Several of the deluxe resorts have the painting with a view events that I’m pretty sure involve wine. If you haven’t visited Wine Bar George, they’d do a tasting for you “on the fly”. Or have you tried “Highway in the Sky”? Or do your own monorail tour. Forgive me if you’ve done all of these and I’m not remembering. :flower3:

Woah, a culinary tour at AKL?!?!? I've never heard of this before, that sounds amazing! Need to look into that, especially for 2020 since we're planning on staying at AKL for a portion of our stay! Thanks for the suggestions, haven't done any except for Highway in the Sky which we would love to do again. Maybe in 2020... (funny enough, 2020 is already so booked we keep adding days to fit everything in. I think we've reached a point of extreme Disney planning!)

We are also looking at Food and Wine events! I had a few that were on my list but I found out a few days ago that I'm pregnant so some will have to wait until next year. But I also noticed that the options did not seem as robust as last year. Right now we have on our short list the Mix it Make It chocolate painting, Parisian Breakfast, and I'll probably also book an Eat to the Beat package when that becomes available.

We are also looking at Food and Wine events! I had a few that were on my list but I found out a few days ago that I'm pregnant so some will have to wait until next year. But I also noticed that the options did not seem as robust as last year. Right now we have on our short list the Mix it Make It chocolate painting, Parisian Breakfast, and I'll probably also book an Eat to the Beat package when that becomes available.

First of all, congratulations!!!

Yeah, the options this year really seem to be lacking, especially in September. Based on a zero minute wait time this morning to book events for this year, it seems that the events just aren't as popular as they used to be, so I get why Disney would want to cut back if they weren't selling out. Still a bummer for us who want to try new things!

The events on your list sound great! We've been wanting to do the Parisian Breakfast for a while now, it sounds so amazing! Plus the chocolate painting sounds so cool, never saw that before, but need to look into that. Hopefully you were able to book everything you wanted to today!

Sounds like some great plans!! It definitely seems like with you both being early risers the EEMH will definitely work in your favor! I'm still hoping for an After Hours event for DH and I because THAT I would pay for lol

What did you end up deciding for your extra F&W events? I was definitely disappointed at the number events the week DH and I are there in September, too! Was really hoping for a Parisian breakfast option!

Sounds like some great plans!! It definitely seems like with you both being early risers the EEMH will definitely work in your favor! I'm still hoping for an After Hours event for DH and I because THAT I would pay for lol

Thanks! Yeah, those EEMH are going to be amazing for us, especially the first two days we're there since we're staying at Boardwalk so it'll be a nice short walk over to HS!

I SO hope they add DAH in September again, we had the best time at that last year and I would love to do it again. Have no idea how we will fit it in our schedule if they do add them, but we'll find a way!

What did you end up deciding for your extra F&W events? I was definitely disappointed at the number events the week DH and I are there in September, too! Was really hoping for a Parisian breakfast option!

We ended up going with the Mediterranean lunch and then the food and beverage pairing with Robert Irvine. Both will be completely new to us, so I'm excited, although I really wish there were more events to pick from during our trip. Sorry about the lack of the Parisian breakfast during your trip, it really sucks how few events are offered in September, especially early in the month. I'm hoping next year for the 25th anniversary of F&W they'll have a better selection of events throughout the entire festival...not just in October! Did you end up booking any special food and wine events during your trip?

Alright, another week, another planning dilemma. HA!

So I mentioned before that we were interested in doing the wdwnt farewell to Illuminations event. It sounds amazing, and what a great way to say goodbye to our favorite show. Plus we could also get in a viewing of the new show, which we hadn't planned on doing, but it would be cool to see. This is of course where our dilemma comes in. Currently we're going to the Halloween party on the 1st, and Jellyrolls on the 30th...which are of course the dates of the final Illuminations and the debut of the new interim show. We could potentially move the Halloween party to Sunday night instead, which frees up the 1st, but there is seriously no time in our schedule to shift Jellyrolls which is my mom's favorite activity so we don't want to get rid of it.

That being said, since this is a super special event, maybe we should skip Jellyrolls this time around and do both dessert parties to get the full experience? Ugh, I don't know. Planning for this trip has become really hard! If we were going to do both events we'd just get the VIP package and have our tickets now and be good. If we wanted to just do one event, they're not releasing the single event tickets til later, if they are available, so there's a chance they'll sell out.

Alternatively, we could just skip the whole final Illuminations and new show and keep our schedule as is...but then I get a severe case of fomo.

So, suggestions, recommendations, a voice of reason, all very very welcome!

Reactions: DLo
Tough choices!!! I’m a HUGE Illuminations fan so I feel like I “have” to be there to say goodbye - no matter how crazy it is. I like Jellyrolls too but that isn’t going anywhere (for now) and with some caffeine could even go after Illum. I haven’t heard about the wdwnt party. I’m a little surprised they’re allowing special parties... but will be checking this out!

Tough choices!!! I’m a HUGE Illuminations fan so I feel like I “have” to be there to say goodbye - no matter how crazy it is. I like Jellyrolls too but that isn’t going anywhere (for now) and with some caffeine could even go after Illum. I haven’t heard about the wdwnt party. I’m a little surprised they’re allowing special parties... but will be checking this out!

Seriously! I love love love Illuminations, I grew up on it, and it has been by far my favorite fireworks show in Disney.

After a lot of discussion today, we ultimately decided since this is a once in a lifetime experience, we should do the wdwnt party and move everything else around. Happy we ended up here, I know I'd be so mad at myself if I was down there for the last Illuminations and didn't go! Plus the cost is less than the PFTS which isn't happening this week, so we figure this will be our "big" event of the trip instead!

Stopping in a for a quick planning update! Such highs and lows in the planning this week! First, we had the fun new magicbands option for purchase which of course we went with, I got the castle one and got the SE one for my mom. Got the confirmation email and my credit card was charged, and even for a full day the correct bands were showing up on MDE...but then a day later I checked and there was nothing there! Figuring it was yet another Disney IT glitch I didn't think much of it. But then I checked back later in the afternoon, and suddenly our original plain colors were showing up, the fancy ones were gone! :sad:

The charge is still showing up on my credit card, so I have no idea what is going on, but this is pretty annoying to get all exciting to get something only to find out it may have sold out and we're out of luck!

So that was the low of the week. Good thing there was a BIG high to make up for it....DAH IS HAPPENING DURING OUR TRIP!!!!!!!!! :jumping1:

This is the one event I was really really hoping would happen, we had the best time at it last year and really wanted to do it again! Of course my mom is probably going to be a bit annoyed trying to fit yet another event into our schedule, but unbeknownst to my mom, I had secretly been keeping Thursday night open just in case DAH was released, so it'll be easier to squeeze in than she realizes! Now I just need to worry about convincing her to spend more money...

Reactions: DLo
We ended up going with the Mediterranean lunch and then the food and beverage pairing with Robert Irvine. Both will be completely new to us, so I'm excited, although I really wish there were more events to pick from during our trip. Sorry about the lack of the Parisian breakfast during your trip, it really sucks how few events are offered in September, especially early in the month. I'm hoping next year for the 25th anniversary of F&W they'll have a better selection of events throughout the entire festival...not just in October! Did you end up booking any special food and wine events during your trip?

Those events sound fun! Unfortunately we didn't book any :sad: We are going to try to do the FEA dessert party though and since its my last time seeing Illuminations that will be nice! (Just need Disney to release them lol)

So I mentioned before that we were interested in doing the wdwnt farewell to Illuminations event. It sounds amazing, and what a great way to say goodbye to our favorite show. Plus we could also get in a viewing of the new show, which we hadn't planned on doing, but it would be cool to see. This is of course where our dilemma comes in. Currently we're going to the Halloween party on the 1st, and Jellyrolls on the 30th...which are of course the dates of the final Illuminations and the debut of the new interim show. We could potentially move the Halloween party to Sunday night instead, which frees up the 1st, but there is seriously no time in our schedule to shift Jellyrolls which is my mom's favorite activity so we don't want to get rid of it.

Do you love Illuminations enough to give up the others? Or could you just do the Frozen dessert party another night during your trip? Guaranteed viewing of the show without giving up jellyrolls?

Stopping in a for a quick planning update! Such highs and lows in the planning this week! First, we had the fun new magicbands option for purchase which of course we went with, I got the castle one and got the SE one for my mom. Got the confirmation email and my credit card was charged, and even for a full day the correct bands were showing up on MDE...but then a day later I checked and there was nothing there! Figuring it was yet another Disney IT glitch I didn't think much of it. But then I checked back later in the afternoon, and suddenly our original plain colors were showing up, the fancy ones were gone! :sad:

I really need to check mine! I was definitely charged for the castle MB too!

So that was the low of the week. Good thing there was a BIG high to make up for it....DAH IS HAPPENING DURING OUR TRIP!!!!!!!!!

That's awesome that it works out for you guys! MK AHs is just so fun! I was really hoping for a DHS AHs (with or without SWL included) but they only announced those through I think the beginning of August? So hope is not lost yet but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed! (Even though I'm sure it won't happen lol)

Those events sound fun! Unfortunately we didn't book any :sad: We are going to try to do the FEA dessert party though and since its my last time seeing Illuminations that will be nice! (Just need Disney to release them lol)

Aw, well the food booths are still fantastic, and frankly there are some years we wished we booked fewer special events so we could try more of them! You could probably also see if you can do a last minute booking of one of the shorter pairings at the festival center if there are extra spots, last year those didn't look fully booked!

I always forget about the FEA dessert party, but it sounds like a great way to see Illuminations for the last time! (still kinda makes me want to cry that it's ending!)

Do you love Illuminations enough to give up the others? Or could you just do the Frozen dessert party another night during your trip? Guaranteed viewing of the show without giving up jellyrolls?

Haha, yeah I absolutely love Illuminations, and wish I could make a few extra trips between now and the end of September to get more views in! We actually did figure out our plans, we moved the Halloween party and, well, most everything else too, HA! This is the most shuffling of plans we've ever experienced, this trip keeps throwing us curve balls! At least now we're going to be there for the final Illuminations show and the first new one! So excited!!!

I really need to check mine! I was definitely charged for the castle MB too!

Good luck, hopefully you get yours! Today my credit card changed the charge from showing up as going through, to pending instead, which seems backwards but also makes me think the castle sold out before I bought it Monday morning so I'm out of luck. Bummer since that one is sold out on the Disney store site too, so I can't even purchase it for full price, I really liked that one!

That's awesome that it works out for you guys! MK AHs is just so fun! I was really hoping for a DHS AHs (with or without SWL included) but they only announced those through I think the beginning of August? So hope is not lost yet but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed! (Even though I'm sure it won't happen lol)

Thanks! Yeah, I'm so happy it was released, it was my "must do" add-on for this trip...even though I had no idea if it would even be offered! Hmm, I wonder if maybe Disney is brewing up something special for DHS at night in September...I can totally see them doing some sort of special after hour event. Especially since it would be so popular if it included SWL...I just can't see Disney turning that kind of money away! Fingers crossed something is released and you get the DHS AH!

Aw, well the food booths are still fantastic, and frankly there are some years we wished we booked fewer special events so we could try more of them! You could probably also see if you can do a last minute booking of one of the shorter pairings at the festival center if there are extra spots, last year those didn't look fully booked!

It's DH's first F&W so I think the booths will probably keep him happy enough! haha and I think I'm going to add on the dining plan to our Poly stay so we have 8 snack credits to use so we don't feel like we are skipping anything because of cost!

I always forget about the FEA dessert party, but it sounds like a great way to see Illuminations for the last time! (still kinda makes me want to cry that it's ending!)

Haha, yeah I absolutely love Illuminations, and wish I could make a few extra trips between now and the end of September to get more views in! We actually did figure out our plans, we moved the Halloween party and, well, most everything else too, HA! This is the most shuffling of plans we've ever experienced, this trip keeps throwing us curve balls! At least now we're going to be there for the final Illuminations show and the first new one! So excited!!!

I'm glad you could get it all figured out!! I'm not the biggest Illuminations fan, I think I've maybe watched it all of 4 times my whole life? But I am happy that DH and I will get to see it with the FEA dessert party for a last time!

Good luck, hopefully you get yours! Today my credit card changed the charge from showing up as going through, to pending instead, which seems backwards but also makes me think the castle sold out before I bought it Monday morning so I'm out of luck. Bummer since that one is sold out on the Disney store site too, so I can't even purchase it for full price, I really liked that one!

Its still showing in my account so hopefully? lol I feel like Disney probably did have an overstock of these specific magicbands and then didn't realize just how many people were willing to upgrade for $10! lol

[/QUOTE]Thanks! Yeah, I'm so happy it was released, it was my "must do" add-on for this trip...even though I had no idea if it would even be offered! Hmm, I wonder if maybe Disney is brewing up something special for DHS at night in September...I can totally see them doing some sort of special after hour event. Especially since it would be so popular if it included SWL...I just can't see Disney turning that kind of money away! Fingers crossed something is released and you get the DHS AH!
[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping you're right about Disney wanting that $$$$ haha it will definitely be interesting to see what they do. I feel like if they had bumped the park hours to midnight I'd be less hopeful but since they are still only at 10 I'm still hopeful!

Happy Friday everyone! Quick update before the weekend fun begins! First of all, we got our tickets to our weeks MK DAH! I am so excited to be going to this again, we loved it last year!

Second, our magic bands arrived! Brief recap: I had ordered them the day the special ones were released and got the Castle one for myself and the SE for my mom. They had been showing up correctly in MDE for a day, but then the next day they were back to the original plain colors. My credit card still had the charges going through though, so I didn’t know what to think. But then later in the week the charge was moved from going through to pending, so at that point I gave up hope that we were getting the ones we ordered.

But then, I randomly checked a few days ago, and suddenly MDE was showing the correct bands again instead of the plain colors! Although, oddly enough, the pending charge on my CC had been removed and there was no charge left at all. A day later I get the email that the bands had shipped and would be delivered tomorrow. Well, imagine my surprise to get home today to find a box from FL!

I was excited, yet a bit nervous because I had no idea what I was going to find in the box. So I opened it up, and my first thought was “that’s weird….they got my mom’s correct, but they just sent me a plain white one....I didn't know that was an option!”

Turns out that no, it’s not plain white, it’s actually the castle band I ordered! Just in the box you couldn’t see the sides, so it really looked like it was plain white! HA! Long week!
:rotfl2:

Love it, so cute!

Also, playing around with the HTML color codes to get back to my usual blue...don't think this is quite right, but it's close enough for now!

Alright, that’s it for updates for now. Have a great weekend everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter