It doesn't matter if Kevin is recognized at a restaurant

nikjd68

Mouseketeer
(I might be answering a question no one has asked, but I have heard this topic come up on a couple of podcasts and on some threads)

I once read a book by the then restaurant critic of the NYT. He tried to keep his anonymity while doing reviews but conceded that he was recognized at several high-profile Manhattan restaurants. He felt this did not affect his visits to those restaurants for several reasons (I no longer have the book so I am doing this partly from memory but also researched this matter online and freely plagiarized some articles):

1. Can a bad kitchen turn out great meals on demand? When you enter a restaurant, it's too late to hire a new chef and wait staff. It is a little late to get better quality ingredients. It's too late to bake new bread, make new desserts or get fresher fish, meat and produce. Moreover, you can't fake skill. Kevin will eat what the rest of us are eating.

2. Stepping up service won't work either. Servers can be more attentive or polite and Kevin and his party may get bigger portions but that is transparent. It is pretty obvious to the experienced eye that you are getting better service than the tables around you (you will probably overhear other tables complaining). And a bigger portion of bad food will backfire every time.

In other words, it still would have been a sad little crabcake or Banquet Fried Chicken and the coconuts would still be loudly rolling on the floor and no whispers could be heard at the Whispering Canyon.

I would think knowing what Kevin looks like is a far distant second to hearing the "the voice" for being able to recognize him.

... and another thing about not wanting to be as "recognizable"

when he goes in to do a restaurant review, his party looks like "us". I am taking my grandparents to WDW for their 65th wedding anniversary. I am a dorky looking guy that will be wondering around with an elderly couple in scooter carts. If it is a location that treats him and his right, then chances are they treat everybody right. I am not saying anything bad about Kevin and John and family, but in my minds eye they look like a bunch of typical tourists.

I think you will find another thread half way down this board discussing the same thing with the same exact name.

My thoughts are there.

Kevin

I think you will find another thread half way down this board discussing the same thing with the same exact name.

My thoughts are there.

Kevin
Oddly enough, it's by the same OP. I'm thinking some sort of quirk with the boards????

Oddly enough, it's by the same OP. I'm thinking some sort of quirk with the boards????

Yes, and thank you for the opportunity to say so. I posted the thread and when nothing was happening, I clicked "post" again.

BTW, my only point is that Kevin and crew shouldn't worry about getting recognized. It shouldn't effect their experience and, therefore, the review.

And my point was that I disagree...and I gave an explanation as to why.

Oh I am sorry Kevin did you say something! :lmao: (I know that didn't make you laugh......)

Ever get tired of repeating yourself? How about we sticky a thread "what not to ask because it is getting old!"

Can I post your pic?! :cutie:

Yes, and thank you for the opportunity to say so. I posted the thread and when nothing was happening, I clicked "post" again.

BTW, my only point is that Kevin and crew shouldn't worry about getting recognized. It shouldn't effect their experience and, therefore, the review.

Nothing was happening because nobody cared enough to respond. Let it go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter