It doesn't matter if Kevin is recognized at a restaurant

nikjd68

Mouseketeer
(I might be answering a question no one has asked, but I have heard this topic come up on a couple of podcasts and on some threads)

I once read a book by the then restaurant critic of the NYT. He tried to keep his anonymity while doing reviews but conceded that he was recognized at several high-profile Manhattan restaurants. He felt this did not affect his visits to those restaurants for several reasons (I no longer have the book so I am doing this partly from memory but also researched this matter online and freely plagiarized some articles):

1. Can a bad kitchen turn out great meals on demand? When you enter a restaurant, it's too late to hire a new chef and wait staff. It is a little late to get better quality ingredients. It's too late to bake new bread, make new desserts or get fresher fish, meat and produce. Moreover, you can't fake skill. Kevin will eat what the rest of us are eating.

2. Stepping up service won't work either. Servers can be more attentive or polite and Kevin and his party may get bigger portions but that is transparent. It is pretty obvious to the experienced eye that you are getting better service than the tables around you (you will probably overhear other tables complaining). And a bigger portion of bad food will backfire every time.

In other words, it still would have been a sad little crabcake or Banquet Fried Chicken and the coconuts would still be loudly rolling on the floor and no whispers could be heard at the Whispering Canyon.

I agree!:thumbsup2

Even if Kevin's picture was out there and people started recognizing him, I still don't think this would be a big issue. With the number of resturants and servers on property, I don't think it would get to the point that Kevin was recognized on a consistant basis.

Plus, I think I would notice Kevin first from his voice. I think most of the podcasters I would notice their voices long before I recognized their faces!

I disagree. I think it makes such a difference that Kevin should immediately cease restaurant reviews and a new, non-regular Podcaster, you know someone they DEFINATELY wouldn't recognize, took his place.

I'm thinking a regular listener, perhaps a DVC member who visits a few times a year, maybe someone from NJ, has to be a husband and wife team, maybe in their mid-to-late 30's, with brown hair and brown eyes, is an amateur foodie... hey, what do you know - I'm perfectly qualified! :rotfl:

Kevin, let me know when you want me to take your place. Our next trip is in a few weeks (and we've got ADR's for your favorite restaurant for our honeymoon trip!) It'd make a great report! :thumbsup2

I appreciate your feedback and agree to a certain extent.

I feel the restaurant reviews I do offer more of snapshot of my total expereience, which I hope allows the folks listening to get an idea of what they might experience.

We go to a "family run" restaurant here in Orlando...and no...I'm not naming names...and we have been very loyal customers for years. There is almost always a wait list for a table. My party almost never has to wait. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just letting you know it happens. We also get appetizer sized tidbits of what is being cooked in the kitchen to taste. We are treated very well.

If I were to review this restaurant and told you of my experience, it would be very different from yours. I have always stated that I would be 100% honest in my reviews. If it's good, I'll tell you....and if it's bad....well, from what you have written in your post I can tell you that you have also realized that I will tell you that.

I would much rather have the experience that any "average" guest would have. Thats what I bring back to the podcast.

I feel that by being honest, I have developed a level of trust from those that listen. Whether they agree or disagree, I hope they feel I am being completely honest in my assessment.

Were there to be widespread recognition, I feel that the experience would change. The food might stay the same for the reasons that you have stated, but if you read through some of the posts here and on the Restaurant board, many people are willing to accept mediocre food in exchange for a great Disney experience.

I have approached this subject from every angle I can think of and I have explained myself to the best of my ability.

I really like what I do. It seems to be well received and I would rather that not change.

I do not know how else to explain that.

Thanks,
Kevin

I appreciate your feedback and agree to a certain extent.

I feel the restaurant reviews I do offer more of snapshot of my total expereience, which I hope allows the folks listening to get an idea of what they might experience.

We go to a "family run" restaurant here in Orlando...and no...I'm not naming names...and we have been very loyal customers for years. There is almost always a wait list for a table. My party almost never has to wait. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just letting you know it happens. We also get appetizer sized tidbits of what is being cooked in the kitchen to taste. We are treated very well.

If I were to review this restaurant and told you of my experience, it would be very different from yours. I have always stated that I would be 100% honest in my reviews. If it's good, I'll tell you....and if it's bad....well, from what you have written in your post I can tell you that you have also realized that I will tell you that.

I would much rather have the experience that any "average" guest would have. Thats what I bring back to the podcast.

I feel that by being honest, I have developed a level of trust from those that listen. Whether they agree or disagree, I hope they feel I am being completely honest in my assessment.

Were there to be widespread recognition, I feel that the experience would change. The food might stay the same for the reasons that you have stated, but if you read through some of the posts here and on the Restaurant board, many people are willing to accept mediocre food in exchange for a great Disney experience.

I have approached this subject from every angle I can think of and I have explained myself to the best of my ability.

I really like what I do. It seems to be well received and I would rather that not change.

I do not know how else to explain that.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin,

Well said. I agree with you. My DW and I look forward to your next review. Have you tried Bistro de Paris lately? We are thinking of dining there for the first time ever on our next visit in June. The current menu is looking more interesting to us, but would love to hear your opinion.

Mary and I enjoyed meeting and speaking with you at the podcast meet in December. Happy New Year to you and the rest of the podcast crew!

To me the issue is a no-brainer:

If Kevin (or any of the team) wishes their pictures not be splattered across the internet - that's their choice - and it should be respected.

Just my 2 cents.

I love the entire podcast, but I absolutely look forward to Kevin's reviews. If Kevin were a food critic for a newspaper, I'd subscribe. If Pete put Kevin's reviews behind a firewall and demanded I pay to hear them, I'd pay.

Thanks, Kevin. We only get to Disney once every few years. My chance of eating in most of the restaurants you review is very low. But I wouldn't miss your review or any of the podcast. It's too much fun!

The DIS Unplugged podcast is not accepting applications at this time. :rolleyes:

Well as Kevins unofficial "best friend" I am first in line! :confused3 (no Kevin, you can not have a restraining order on me :hug: )

:idea: Pete could charge for the dining reviews and use the money to buy you and John some Disney tourist gear and that would throw everyone off!

Goofy hat, put a camera around your neck, pin traders, you could even sport some Lime green mickey heads. :thumbsup2

Your mom can where a shirt that says "Disney trip 2008"

I do have to say if you are going to disguise yourself you are working in an environment you could do it and not look so goofy! :rotfl: :headache: yes bad pun intended there!

Kevin, I think your reasoning is very valid. Not that it matters, but I agree with you. I've found your reviews to be very helpful, the best reviews I've read! It was great fun meeting you and the rest of the gang at the Pod Meet, I hope it becomes an annual event.

This all reminds me of the "Save Ferris" campaign from Ferris Beuler's Day Off. We can start a "Save Kevin" coalition so that the dining reviews continue! :rotfl: :lmao:

I appreciate all of Kevin's hard work on the dining reviews. He has saved me time, aggravation and money! Anyone/anything that saves me those three things are truly valued in my book.

Kevin, I totally understand your thought process and perspective. I appreciate your candor and since you always seem to order something I would really love to eat, I always feel like you are a great resource as to what would work for me as well.

I am so psyched that you liked the French restaurant in Epcot. I can't wait to try it!!

I appreciate all of Kevin's hard work on the dining reviews. He has saved me time, aggravation and money! Anyone/anything that saves me those three things are truly valued in my book.
QUOTE]

SamIAm21 I thought that was put very nicely....
Thanks Kevin!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter