It finally happened - Room not Ready.

Why is a late room ready okay with anybody? Rooms are supposed to be ready by 4 ...... period. If Disney can't make that happen, then they should hire more housekeeping. I'd gladly pay a few cents extra in dues to have my room ready at 4. I also agree with previous poster about WL ..... they're the worst! Late rooms are becoming "normal" and it didn't used to be that way. Seems to me that it would be cheaper to hire a few more housekeeping staff than continuing to compensate everyone for late rooms.
I don't mind a bit late (up to 30 minutes) as long as they don't charge me if I get out of the room 30 minutes late. I am always ready on time, but I have a sister who never is ready on time.

While I never flip out on CM's and I'm always polite and respectful ...I always point out any inconvenience on my trips-I'd like to say I do it to make Disney better but it's really just to see what I can get out of it. I've literally saved a few thousand this way...and countless Anytime FPs. Yep...I'm that kind of person. Oh ya...my rooms have always been ready when I've wanted them. Over 15 years of WDW vacations...

Comparing a hotel room and a DVC unit is apples to oranges. Housekeeping has more than single rooms to clean, kitchens and multiple baths take more time, obviously. Would I like to get into my room at 4:01 or earlier, of course, but when DVC states after 4pm that means after, and life would be hard if someone expects 4:01 to be "after."

DVC needs to hire more staff which will solve the problem, our dues will go up to reflect that, but rooms should be ready earlier that way.

I don't think it's fair to complain to CM's when you're not in your room before 4, you aren't entitled to get into it till after 4:00, and if it's due to housekeeping, the front desk can't clean the room any faster.

I would like to see them state a "room will be ready by......" instead of what they have now.

Comparing a hotel room and a DVC unit is apples to oranges. Housekeeping has more than single rooms to clean, kitchens and multiple baths take more time, obviously. Would I like to get into my room at 4:01 or earlier, of course, but when DVC states after 4pm that means after, and life would be hard if someone expects 4:01 to be "after."

DVC needs to hire more staff which will solve the problem, our dues will go up to reflect that, but rooms should be ready earlier that way.

I don't think it's fair to complain to CM's when you're not in your room before 4, you aren't entitled to get into it till after 4:00, and if it's due to housekeeping, the front desk can't clean the room any faster.

I would like to see them state a "room will be ready by......" instead of what they have now.

Just because they say "after 4" that does not give them an open ended time to have the rooms ready. If they can't do it by 4 then they need to come up with a another stadard time so that folks can plan around it. If my room isn't ready by 4:01 and it impacted my plans I would be (and have) politely requesting to be compensated for my valuable time. 4pm is later than most in the industry already.

I agree that one should not expect rooms ready before 4, but I don’t agree we should be okay with check ins much later than that regardless of impact on dues,

Yes, I was fortunate to get those extra FPs, but they were offered and I at first refused them as not necessary, but the manager insisted.

I once had to wait until 5:20 for a room at BLT, and I did complain because we had a 6 pm reservation at Ohana and expected to have time to change from a day in the parks, The manager comped our meal for the 7 of us.

Sure, 4:15 ish is okay. Anything beyond that is not and something should be offered for the inconvenience.

Just because they say "after 4" that does not give them an open ended time to have the rooms ready. If they can't do it by 4 then they need to come up with a another stadard time so that folks can plan around it. If my room isn't ready by 4:01 and it impacted my plans I would be (and have) politely requesting to be compensated for my valuable time. 4pm is later than most in the industry already.

I agree that it doesn't give them an "open ended time" and I would like to see them come up with a ready by time so we can know when to expect to get into the room. But if someone is expecting, and I realize you "politely requested", didn't demand to get compensated, when the policy is after 4 and the room isn't ready at 4:01 is asking for something that they aren't entitled to. Money will get us just about anything; our dues will go up if they start compensating everyone who asks to be because their room wasn't ready when they thought it should be even though the policy is after 4. Waiting past 6:00 is a different story.

Anyone know what the other timeshare check-in times are?

I agree that one should not expect rooms ready before 4, but I don’t agree we should be okay with check ins much later than that regardless of impact on dues,

Yes, I was fortunate to get those extra FPs, but they were offered and I at first refused them as not necessary, but the manager insisted.

I once had to wait until 5:20 for a room at BLT, and I did complain because we had a 6 pm reservation at Ohana and expected to have time to change from a day in the parks, The manager comped our meal for the 7 of us.

Sure, 4:15 ish is okay. Anything beyond that is not and something should be offered for the inconvenience.

When anything past 4:15 is not ok, what is a good time? I don't want to defend DVC too much because I hate it when we arrive early and wait till after 4 to get into our room, but their policy is an open ended one for after 4:00. I wish I knew how to create a poll to find out how many of us wait till after 4 and at what time we did get the room. Maybe we can get DVC to be clearer for the check in time so everyone could know what to expect.

When anything past 4:15 is not ok, what is a good time? I don't want to defend DVC too much because I hate it when we arrive early and wait till after 4 to get into our room, but their policy is an open ended one for after 4:00. I wish I knew how to create a poll to find out how many of us wait till after 4 and at what time we did get the room. Maybe we can get DVC to be clearer for the check in time so everyone could know what to expect.

To me, 4 pm should be the targeted time and if it’s a little late, okay, but that should be the exception and not the rule.

One thing I think would help is if there was an easy way to indicate when someone checks out earlier than 11 am, other than stopping at the front desk,

I always try to do that, but if there is a wait, I don’t, When I stayed at Margaritaville in July, they had a button on the wall that you pushed to indicate it was ready for housekeeping.

I know they clean in sections for efficiency, but maybe if they had a way to also start to clean rooms in which guests leave earlier, it would help.

I also know there are times when I don’t arrive until much later so that check in time doesn’t affect me. Maybe they need to go back to room ready and eliminate the room requests or at the very least, if a guest shows up earlier and a room is ready, they get it, even if it was assigned to someone else due to a request.

Im pretty flexible most of the time, but in this case, I do think expecting people to wait until 5 or 6 pm is just unacceptable. One extra FP for being late is a good will gesture for sure.

I agree that it doesn't give them an "open ended time" and I would like to see them come up with a ready by time so we can know when to expect to get into the room. But if someone is expecting, and I realize you "politely requested", didn't demand to get compensated, when the policy is after 4 and the room isn't ready at 4:01 is asking for something that they aren't entitled to. Money will get us just about anything; our dues will go up if they start compensating everyone who asks to be because their room wasn't ready when they thought it should be even though the policy is after 4. Waiting past 6:00 is a different story.

Anyone know what the other timeshare check-in times are?
I was using 4:01 as an example of late is late. I don't own any other timeshares but have rented vacation condos for 35 years and none have ever not been ready by their stated check-in time of 3 or 4pm. Compensation doesn't necessarily mean costs go up. It costs Disney nothing to hand out a few FP's, a room upgrade etc and costs them almost nothing to comp something like snacks or even a meal. I wasn't saying credit my room a night because it wasn't ready at 4:01 .... fact is though that every other company in the hotel business can have rooms ready on an extremely consistent basis by 4pm so you would think that a company that believes itself to be the "gold standard" in the industry would certainly be able to accomplish that task on at least an equally consistent basis. Just my take

3 trips to the front desk and/or concierge. Finally I checked my band on the old room which was just a couple of doors down. It still worked on it. It too was cleaned but nobody was in it yet or I would have given them a surprise. Once I could tell the front desk what the issue was they were able to fix it. Should it work that way? :scratchin (JK - it shouldn't)

because I’m curious... Was it before official checkout time? Or no matter what time, was it because you somehow were still shown as “in” the first room?

Disney created that monster imo by making it so important to plan every little detail at 180 days/60 days etc. When you make those plans and then there is a road block to realizing them that sucks and can affect the entire day.

I definitely agree with that.

One thing I think would help is if there was an easy way to indicate when someone checks out earlier than 11 am, other than stopping at the front desk,

can’t we call a number from the room?

you would think that a company that believes itself to be the "gold standard" in the industry

Oh see I don’t think Disney considers them to be that anymore, so I don’t hold them to that standard. The changes they’ve made to their cruising experience based on moving to standard practice disabused me of the notion that they think they are the best anymore.

because I’m curious... Was it before official checkout time? Or no matter what time, was it because you somehow were still shown as “in” the first room?

I was attending a conference at the Dolphin so I had checked out of my room around 7:30 or 8am by going down to the front desk. They appeared to checked me out and checked me back in. During our lunch break is when I came back so it was after the 11am official check out time before I started trying to get into the new room that was ready and when I could still get into the first room.

Oh see I don’t think Disney considers them to be that anymore, so I don’t hold them to that standard. The changes they’ve made to their cruising experience based on moving to standard practice disabused me of the notion that they think they are the best anymore.

Haven't done a cruise in years but really enjoyed the Disney cruises we were on ......by far the best we were ever on and it wasn't even close .... what have they done that moved them "to standard practice"? Nothing is standard about the prices they charge.

I did call mouse-keeping once but that didn’t check me out..I was switching resorts..and.was then told that without the CM doing it officially at front desk it won’t flag the room as ready to be cleaned.

"Check-In and Check-Out times for Disney Vacation Club Resorts are set at after 4:00 PM for Check-In and 11:00 AM for Check-Out. While I have on occasion arrived to find our resort accommodation ready earlier than the standard check-in time, it's best to plan on the standard check-in time.Jan 9, 2018"
disneyparksmomspanel.disney.go.com › question › time-check-dvc-reso...

Check-in is after 4 pm, not by 4pm. This should change your expectations.

No. It certainly does not. The statement "after 4" implies that you can arrive anytime after 4pm and check into your room. Not that the rooms don't start getting ready until 4.

"Check-In and Check-Out times for Disney Vacation Club Resorts are set at after 4:00 PM for Check-In and 11:00 AM for Check-Out. While I have on occasion arrived to find our resort accommodation ready earlier than the standard check-in time, it's best to plan on the standard check-in time.Jan 9, 2018"
disneyparksmomspanel.disney.go.com › question › time-check-dvc-reso...

Check-in is after 4 pm, not by 4pm. This should change your expectations.

I'm not sure what you are getting at? If you are saying that anytime after 4pm is acceptable, then I disagree. 11pm is "after 4pm" !

"After 4pm" does not mean anytime after 4 is acceptable, it means when checking in "after 4" (i.e. at 4:15), the room should be ready. The posters posting here have all shared experiences of much later room available times...unacceptable room available times.

I had this frustration at BWV in January and I cried at the front desk at 5:30pm. Add in that they changed our Standard View Studio to a Handicap with Roll-In Shower for our 5 night stay without notification when my husband was there for running Dopey so I had already had that issue to deal with too. I have no shame in the fact that I was frustrated as it isn't ok.

I'm sure there is a lovely customer note on my file now.

I'm not sure what you are getting at? If you are saying that anytime after 4pm is acceptable, then I disagree. 11pm is "after 4pm" !

"After 4pm" does not mean anytime after 4 is acceptable, it means when checking in "after 4" (i.e. at 4:15), the room should be ready. The posters posting here have all shared experiences of much later room available times...unacceptable room available times.

What I'm getting at is that a lot of people are expecting that their room will be ready when they walk up anytime past 4:01. I definitely don't think they should have an open ended timeframe. I think 5:30 is pushing it.

I justed used the chat feature on the DVC site and here is the response I got..

"Great question! There is not a set time, it is usually 4 but sometimes it can be a little later. It just depends on the day."

I look at it as their policy is stated as after 4, and even though I want to get into my room by 4:01, if it is 5:15 like it was a few weeks ago, that is still technically, after 4. We got into our room at 1:30 the day after a cruise last month too. I agree that there are a lot of people not getting into their rooms by 4, and I wish there was a clear ready by time.

We also had a new one on New Years Eve at BWV. My nephew and his wife finally received a room ready text around 5 or so but we were in Epcot. Around 11PM they were tired and decided to head back to the resort. We gathered up their luggage from my room and trekked to theirs. And found the room had not been cleaned - as in the bed had been slept in and there was dental floss and a cup on top of the drawer bureau. :crazy2:
There is absolutely no reason checkin can not be by 4. Hire people. I have stayed at many many hotels over the course of my travelling either for work or leisure and cannot remember a hotel that had a late checkin. Why people who keep making excuses for Disney is beyond me. Only second rate businesses operate this way and Disney is not second rate. So why?

What I'm getting at is that a lot of people are expecting that their room will be ready when they walk up anytime past 4:01. I definitely don't think they should have an open ended timeframe. I think 5:30 is pushing it.

I justed used the chat feature on the DVC site and here is the response I got..

"Great question! There is not a set time, it is usually 4 but sometimes it can be a little later. It just depends on the day."

I look at it as their policy is stated as after 4, and even though I want to get into my room by 4:01, if it is 5:15 like it was a few weeks ago, that is still technically, after 4. We got into our room at 1:30 the day after a cruise last month too. I agree that there are a lot of people not getting into their rooms by 4, and I wish there was a clear ready by time.

That may be what they told you, but that doesn't make it an acceptable response. As the owners, we have rights in this matter. There are times I have been at Disney and on the day I arrive, I hit a park for fireworks. I don't get back until 10pm. I don't care if my room is ready at 4 or 6. I have also arrived at 10am and gotten a text on the ME bus to the resort that my room was ready! (At a guess, they didn't have that room filled the night before). One time my room was not ready until almost 8pm (and I was wanting to use it at that time).

But bottom line is that in an industry where the norm is 2-3pm, 4pm is already pushing it. If they say on their website that checkin is after 4, the expectation is ANYTIME after 4 is acceptable for you to checkin. It's not acceptable to have them give you your room at 11:59pm and still charge you for the night.

Remember that they can SAY whatever they want, but at the end of the day, they answer to us, as we are the owners.

There is absolutely no reason checkin can not be by 4. Hire people. I have stayed at many many hotels over the course of my travelling either for work or leisure and cannot remember a hotel that had a late checkin. Why people who keep making excuses for Disney is beyond me. Only second rate businesses operate this way and Disney is not second rate. So why?

Here is my only problem with hiring people as the solution. It drives up our maintenance costs. There are some questions that DVC / DVD owes us first:

What the number of housekeepers to rooms? How does this compare to industry standards?
What is the average stay of a guest? (used to calculate the 4, 8 day cleanings)
What is the percentage of rooms owned by Disney (sold as cash) and the contribution that Disney makes toward the cleaning staff?
Accounting for all of these variables, compared to a hotel what is the calculated number of staff required?

I know we can get some of these answers. But the point is they need to tell us something along the lines of: "We are operating below industry standards. Our current staffing is x people and the calculated number required to provide industry standard service is y.. Therefore we have to hire these people".

OR "we already have more people that should be required, and the problem is a management of our current staffing and improving efficiency. Here is how we plan to address it. "

I'll be happy to pay more in dues if they show us that they have been undervaluing the cost. On the other hand, I don't want to pay more if the problem is they are screwing up and using our money inefficeintly.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts