It Just Got Real...When Does a Trip Become "Real" For You?

Little E

DIS Veteran
Squeeeeeeee! Our magic bands just arrived in the mail today for our June trip! I'm so excited for the kids and DH to get home from school and work so they can see them! This is our first trip with the new bands, and as I was admiring them in the new box, it hit me. This trip is REAL! It's really happening!

And then I thought some more, and I realized that probably ALL of our trips have become "real" when the magic bands arrive in the mail. We got our ADRs months ago, I've already made our FPs selections, we've watched the first Happily Ever After live feed on it's first night, we've read obsessively everything we can get our hands on about Pandora, and we made our final payment, but it really just hit me today when I saw the magic band box in mailbox!!

So, when does an upcoming WDW trip really become "real" for you?

When the Magic Bands come...but it's really truly real when we check in to the resort!!! :D:D:D

For me it's when I pull out of the driveway and point the car south.
This is when it becomes real for us too. I thought it was when I was packing, but I don't do that till the very last minute, that I'm still stuffing things in as we go out the door :joker:

for me its getting on the airport shuttle bus and travelling to the airport. Thats when I start to relax and get into holiday frame of mind. Then when I get to the airport I have a holiday routine :)

I would say the trip becomes "real" for me when, I first wake up and get ready for the flight. I know exactly where I am going and the excitement level is high!

For me, it's when I first step off of the plane and getting a very brief feel of the warm (muggy) Florida air.

For me it happens in degrees. Making dvc reservations at 11 months. Drawing up the itinerary in advance of ADRs. Strangely, fast passes at sixty days doesn't give me that "real" feeling. The vacation has truly begun though once I sit down in the departure lounge at the airport and drink my Starbucks blonde roast and eat my muffin for breakfast. All the planning is done, I'm packed, I've gotten through immigration and security. Time to kick back and enjoy.

Right now I'm doing a countdown to our October trip with a life long friend. We were at 21 weeks yesterday. Each week we send each other some sort of countdown. I love it. That makes it real too! This week's countdown.

IMG_3064.JPG

Quandrea, I LOVE your picture! What a great way to keep the excitement going as you count down to your trip! My hubby and I went for a long weekend last fall with my college roommate and her hubby. We texted back and forth constantly before our trip to share the excitement, but we weren't nearly as creative! Totally awesome idea!!

Quandrea, I LOVE your picture! What a great way to keep the excitement going as you count down to your trip! My hubby and I went for a long weekend last fall with my college roommate and her hubby. We texted back and forth constantly before our trip to share the excitement, but we weren't nearly as creative! Totally awesome idea!!
Thanks! It was her idea. We started last week. This week is my daughter's turn to come up with something. I think she is going with a Star Wars theme. Twenty weeks to go!!!!!

It comes in stages.
1. When I pay the deposit/book flights.
2. When I make ADRs.
3. When I book FPs.
4. When we get Magic Bands and DME tags.
5. When I print the packing list and pull out the "Disney Basket" (where we keep all of our ears, pins, maps, old MBs, and other things that we only use for Disney trips).
6. When I start buying things for the trip (snacks, water bottles, etc.).

But it really feels REAL when I finish packing and zip up the suitcases. Going to bed the night before we leave is always hard. Then when we get to the airport...I'm like a kid on Christmas!

It comes in stages.
1. When I pay the deposit/book flights.
2. When I make ADRs.
3. When I book FPs.
4. When we get Magic Bands and DME tags.
5. When I print the packing list and pull out the "Disney Basket" (where we keep all of our ears, pins, maps, old MBs, and other things that we only use for Disney trips).
6. When I start buying things for the trip (snacks, water bottles, etc.).

But it really feels REAL when I finish packing and zip up the suitcases. Going to bed the night before we leave is always hard. Then when we get to the airport...I'm like a kid on Christmas!
For me, that night before we leave is usually a low point. I've been so busy getting everyone out the door, house secured, dogs sent to boarding. Dh is usually crazy busy squaring away work--self employed. Not easy to get away. Anyway, as I get into bed, I sometimes think in passing, "Is a trip worth all this?" Thankfully the feeling passes and I awake ready to travel and excited.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter