It Takes Two, Baby; a 2017 Flower and Garden dining report *NEW dining report!*

Boma looks great! I've never been there before, but your pictures are making me want to try it. I have a weekend trip planned for August where we are staying at Animal Kingdom Villas (first time at Kidani) I stayed once in the Jambo part, but haven't eaten at any of the restaurants there. Will need to add this to the list

IMG_5822_zpsr9ru7vcm.jpg

Cute selfie! My Steve also doesn't do the selfie thing unless I specifically tell him to look and smile into the camera!

ooh looks good! I wish we had more time to do stuff on that trip like have a drink at Victoria Falls but we were just so tired!

OMG this was heavenly! My first time having Mulligatawny and I ended up having two bowls and have had dreams about it since leaving, which I know makes me weird.

Mulligatawny is a very tasty soup!! Boma's version was good from what I remember - but all their soups are good! (Even not served by Johnny Depp)

I'm pretty sure he feels these mashed potatoes are the best he's ever had on property. He also loved the salmon and needed to run up and check what exactly was on it because it was so good and he hadn't looked at the sign when taking it, he just loves salmon so figured he'd like it. Other than "Nut-Encrusted" it didn't give a description but he didn't care. He also loved the Durban Chicken and even the beans which had some type of lightly spiced flavor to them.
My first plate: mashed potatoes, African-Spiced Strip-Loin with a Chipotle &Teriyaki mustard, Coconut Basmati Rice

I agreed with Steve on the mashed potatoes and the meat was delicious, especially with the mustard on it. I wasn't a fan of the coconut rice but I didn't think I would be since I knew it would be sweet; I like rice and I love coconut but sweet rice doesn't work for me.

Oh this looks so good! I really missed eating dinner at Boma since we had breakfast there. But now I have to somehow fit it into an upcoming trip...

He also didn't care for the Pap, not that it was bad, he'd simply never had it before and was interested in trying it but it wasn't his thing.

Is pap - the stuff that looks like grits? Is it just grits? I've always wondered about that.

I think all hummus is yucky.

I can't stand store-bought hummus but when I used to live in NYC there was a restaurant called Hummus Place and they make their own hummus and it was very good! So different from the supermarket stuff.

I keep attempting to like bread pudding but I just can't become a fan, even of the 'Ohana one. It's too mushy and doesn't have enough taste for me; Steve tried mine and didn't care for it either but keep in mind it's coming from a pair of non bread pudding fans.

I am the opposite, I do like bread puddings, especially 'Ohana's!

I tried it again and much like bread pudding - and Dole Whips - I'm not a fan.

Although I like bread puddings and Dole whips I am not a huge fan of zebra domes. I know they are really popular but they are just too sweet for me. They are the cutest things though!

Glad you started your May trip report! It'll be a while until I can reach that point of my TR!

Nice review of Boma dinner. Boma does have very solid dinner choices with interesting twist in flavors. Despite I don't really like buffets, Boma is one of our favorite and especially a must do when staying at AKL. Love that you get to do second visit during F&G.

I didn't realize how far behind I was, so this is a pretty wimpy replay. Michigan messed everything up Dis wise!

I was extremely disappointed that I couldn't get my soup, and while the bread was absolutely delicious it didn't fill the soup void. The burger was perfection, though.

I'm going to have to get this burger. We don't do burgers at WDW, and I always end up craving one but I've never really read about one that was good...this is on the list now! (I think I put it on that ever growing list the last time you had it too, and I forgot. Typical.)

I'm ready for the hate, but..............neither of us liked this at all.

Me either! Mine was swimming in grease :crazy2: I ate the jalapenos though, they were good, LOL!

Meeting Rabbit was awesome

My most coveted meet!

I suppose we could have technically jumped over our balcony whenever we wanted to catch a bus. We did not do that.

Spiderman, Spiderman...does whatever a spider can...to get on a bus!

Steve got the Moscow Mule

Matt's favorite

I got the Smoked Turkey

I had one of these at Yachtsman in December. LOOOOOVE it. I had a similar cocktail at a place in Kansas City that got me hooked on the bourbon/cherry/smoke combo and I will never look back!!

We plan to do Boma dinner next time, and your review looks really good!

My first time having Mulligatawny and I ended up having two bowls and have had dreams about it since leaving, which I know makes me weird. Would it make it any less weird if in those dreams Johnny Depp was serving it to me naked?

:rotfl: Well I mean then it's a 2 for 1; naked Johnny Depp and Mulligatawny.

First off, I think your selfie is totally cute!!!

Don't forget you now have more adult beverage choices at the resort, which is never a bad thing.
Never.

Steve couldn't handle the thought of a 6 month WDW break!
In his defense, 6 months is a long time to be away from Disney. So is 6 days. :rolleyes1

I suppose we could have technically jumped over our balcony whenever we wanted to catch a bus. We did not do that.
Big on safety, aren't ya?

I could have just eaten this and been satisfied, Johnny Depp or no.
:rotfl:

I keep attempting to like bread pudding but I just can't become a fan, even of the 'Ohana one.
I actually make the 'Ohana bread pudding recipe (from Allears) each and every holiday. I personally prefer something chocolate, but my family insists! Oddly enough, I've actually never experienced 'Ohana's bread pudding at 'Ohana :sad2:

Boma looks so good right now, I am starving. The soups, the salad, the mashed potatoes, and meat have me drooling. I agree about the zebra domes, not sure what the hype is. I on the other hand LOVE bread pudding, so far I have not met one I didn't like. Looks like a great start to your second adult trip.

Awesome meet with Rabbit! I've never seen him at all either. I did luck into the same character meet a few years ago. The rare character that time was Gideon the fox (wolf?) from Pinnochio.

Boma looks great. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

We make a bacon-onion tart at home that is ten times better. Isn't everything better with bacon? ;)
Mmm, that sounds delicious :goodvibes
Now I know that the strange flavor is curry. I usually avoid curry but this was a good amount for me. Friends of the TV show Seinfeld might have heard of this soup. It was one of his favorites.
Yes, I'm the same, can't have too much curry but it just works in the Boma Mulligatawny.

Kidani is rather boring and the gift shop is pathetic. We walked to Jambo house and it was pretty boring sine all you see is parking lot.
I agree, Kidani is on the boring side when compared to Jambo and the gift shop STINKS. The walk isn't exciting but it isn't bad in terms of length, so if you don't feel like catching a van at least it's not too long of a haul.

Wow after seeing you're pictures and review I think we need to add Boma to our November trip. We haven't been in several years.
You should! I'm wishing we'd gone back sooner and now I'm trying to figure out how to fit it in easily

Boma looks great! I've never been there before, but your pictures are making me want to try it. I have a weekend trip planned for August where we are staying at Animal Kingdom Villas (first time at Kidani) I stayed once in the Jambo part, but haven't eaten at any of the restaurants there. Will need to add this to the list
You should try it if you can fit it in! Also try Sanaa for something, at least breakfast if you can't fit lunch or dinner in anywhere. We love dinner but tried breakfast this trip (I'll be reviewing it eventually lol) and it was really good, too! And speaking of Aug. when are you going? We're there the 5-12th but at WL.

Cute selfie! My Steve also doesn't do the selfie thing unless I specifically tell him to look and smile into the camera!
:thanks: I did tell Steve to look; I think he conveniently didn't hear me lol

ooh looks good! I wish we had more time to do stuff on that trip like have a drink at Victoria Falls but we were just so tired!
We always want to sit in lounges and chill more when we don't have the kids; occasionally it happens but never as often as we want it to. We also keep saying we'll get to Jellyrolls but so far, nope! Someday :)

Is pap - the stuff that looks like grits? Is it just grits? I've always wondered about that.
Yup, it's the stuff that looks like grits. Steve said it tasted more like mashed potatoes which he does like, but he wasn't a fan of the consistency and even with the mashed potato taste there was a weird aftertaste.

Your Boma dinner looks amazing.
It was! I'd love to go back, unfortunately I don't think it'll make it into our Aug. trip.

Despite I don't really like buffets, Boma is one of our favorite and especially a must do when staying at AKL.
Steve isn't a big fan of buffets either so usually I can only get him to do one per trip; luckily he turned out to be a big fan of this one!

I'm going to have to get this burger. We don't do burgers at WDW, and I always end up craving one but I've never really read about one that was good...this is on the list now!
I normally don't get burgers in Disney simply b/c there's so much else to get, but this one is too good to pass up!

Spiderman, Spiderman...does whatever a spider can...to get on a bus!
LOL! Now I'm picturing Steve flying off the balcony in tights and a cape o_O

I had one of these at Yachtsman in December. LOOOOOVE it. I had a similar cocktail at a place in Kansas City that got me hooked on the bourbon/cherry/smoke combo and I will never look back!!
Now I remember you getting that at Yachtsman and I also remember you writing that you got one somewhere else! I have to look for the combo on drink menus' around here!

We plan to do Boma dinner next time, and your review looks really good!
Excellent! Hope you don't end up cancelling it lol

SMEE I loved that shirt in your last TR and now getting to meet Smee while wearing it, just the best luck. Great pic.
Thank you!! I was very excited!

Hi there lady! Boma for dinner looks yummy!!! I can't wait to have breakfast there in July, so excited!!!
Ooh, I loved breakfast there last year! Tried fitting it in this trip also but didn't work out :(

First off, I think your selfie is totally cute!!!
:hug:

I actually make the 'Ohana bread pudding recipe (from Allears) each and every holiday. I personally prefer something chocolate, but my family insists!
I always need a chocolate dessert lol, but you gotta do for family occasionally I guess :P

Oddly enough, I've actually never experienced 'Ohana's bread pudding at 'Ohana :sad2:
OMG that so funny that you make it all the time but have never had it there!

I on the other hand LOVE bread pudding, so far I have not met one I didn't like.
I know we're in the minority not like bread pudding but I will say this: of all the bread pudding's we've tried down in Disney and around here, the one we've come closest to enjoying is the one at 'Ohana lol.

Looks like a great start to your second adult trip.
Definitely was :thumbsup2

Awesome meet with Rabbit! I've never seen him at all either.
The first couple times we did MNSSHP in 2007 and 2010 I swear he was meeting with the other Pooh characters, but we never met him. And I know the last couple times we did the party he wasn't I don't think but he was on the Pooh float in the Halloween parade and that's the closest we'd come to seeing him!

I did luck into the same character meet a few years ago. The rare character that time was Gideon the fox (wolf?) from Pinnochio.
Cool! We met him years ago in MK with Foulfellow the.....cat, I believe :scratchin, when many of the Pinocchio characters, including Pinocchio himself, met fairly regularly. And I think Gideon is a fox?

Hi Ariane! I've been very busy lately between my new job and all the end of school year stuff with the girls. This weekend was their dance recital. I posted some pictures in the DIS Dads club, so I thought I would send that link to you. I figured you might enjoy seeing the pics (better than boys sports pics, eh?) :)

https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...of-the-disdads.3358596/page-620#post-57720559
Thank you so much! I love all the costumes :goodvibes And in the last picture are they by any chance doing the Hand-Jive, like from Grease?

You should try it if you can fit it in! Also try Sanaa for something, at least breakfast if you can't fit lunch or dinner in anywhere. We love dinner but tried breakfast this trip (I'll be reviewing it eventually lol) and it was really good, too! And speaking of Aug. when are you going? We're there the 5-12th but at WL.
We'll just miss you we will be there 18-20. We're going back September 29-October 1 too. Using our first annual pass to the fullest lol.

My first time having Mulligatawny and I ended up having two bowls and have had dreams about it since leaving, which I know makes me weird. Would it make it any less weird if in those dreams Johnny Depp was serving it to me naked?

This made me snort laugh :laughing:

Yay for your new dining report! Can't wait to read the rest of it. What a great start with Boma...everything looks delicious!

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Maybe they should just install ladders for easy exit and entry :-)

Hello individual cup of Moscato :wave: Why are you the only kind of wine not in my airport at home?
Only you. Hello Moscato, why are you the only kind of wine I can't stand :P

OMG this was heavenly! My first time having Mulligatawny and I ended up having two bowls and have had dreams about it since leaving, which I know makes me weird. Would it make it any less weird if in those dreams Johnny Depp was serving it to me naked?
Wow, this sounds and looks amazing (even the Johnny Depp part). I had a carrot soup at Jiko a few years back that I still dream about. AKL certainly knows how to do soup right.

Oh and for any of you youngsters who only think of Pirates when you think of Johnny, check out the original Nightmare on Elm Street, What's Eating Gilbert Grape and 21 Jump Street, the series NOT THE MOVIE!!
And don't forget this masterpiece. I know this is really the naked Johnny you dream of. landscape-1449768828-johnny-depp-edward-scissorhands.jpg

You can see this piece of meat is seriously on the rare side, too rare for me but I believe right up @kastoney's alley. I did eat a couple bites to try the horseradish which I love and it was delicious but I preferred my first cut of meat. The salad was very good, the dressing was like a spicier Thousand Island, nothing outstanding but I wanted a little salad. The corn muffins were little bites of goodness as is most Disney corn bread.
Because we both clearly have our food nuances, I would of course be all over the barely cooked meat but would want nothing to do with all that fat on there :P Glad to hear the salad was at least cooked to your liking :D

And in the last picture are they by any chance doing the Hand-Jive, like from Grease?
No, but close. It's "you can't stop the beat" from Hairspray. That's the dance that won them their 1st place medals back in April at the 5678 Showtime competition.

We'll just miss you we will be there 18-20. We're going back September 29-October 1 too. Using our first annual pass to the fullest lol.
Well that stinks but :thumbsup2 for using that AP for all it's worth! We're doing the same, August will be our 5th trip with this one.

Yay for your new dining report! Can't wait to read the rest of it. What a great start with Boma...everything looks delicious!
It was the perfect beginning to the trip :goodvibes Glad you're still here!

Only you. Hello Moscato, why are you the only kind of wine I can't stand :P
At least we won't be fighting over the bottle! We can always each have our own.

And don't forget this masterpiece. I know this is really the naked Johnny you dream of.
:laughing: I'd just have to ask him not to use his hands..................:P

Glad to hear the salad was at least cooked to your liking :D
Oh yes, they cooked it just the way I asked them to. As a matter of fact, cooking of the salads is my specialty and I rarely burn them.

No, but close. It's "you can't stop the beat" from Hairspray. That's the dance that won them their 1st place medals back in April at the 5678 Showtime competition.
Ooh now I most definitely have to go back and check that out on FB!

Once again, I got totally lost in this TR and thought I commented but then I have to go back five pages to realize that I never actually commented…I just thought I did but apparently wanted to wait until I had more time to comment, which is basically NEVER…ugh :crazy2: Anyway, if I already did comment just pretend I didn't :rolleyes1

The Gourmet Burger: with Land Lettuce, Tomato, House Pickles, Truffle Fries and Aioli:

The first time we had this it blew our socks off; the second time, it confirmed for us that it has to be the best burger on property! So juicy

That burger looks and sounds delicious. I pretty much stay away from burgers while at WDW because I am super fussy about them, but this one looks good enough to maybe make a trip across the lake for.

To Gaston's we went!
Have you tried the cinnamon rolls there? I have! Again and again and again!

Gotta bring DS over there…he still talks about the cinnamon rolls at MSB!

We did a couple more things in MK but I wanted to be over to Epcot by at least 2 since we only had until about 5. We had walked by the river boat probably 3 or 4x this trip wanting to take a ride and it was always closed for Tiana's ice cream social, but we finally caught it open! Again, excuse all the non-food pictures. It had been awhile since we rode around the Mississippi so I took a few shots and I think it's really cute, so I'd like to share them:

Still one of the few things I've never done in the MK…maybe next trip!

the Express Bus service to get to Epcot quick. LOVED IT!

Thinking about this for next trip. Can we decide on a whim to take it and then pay? Or do we have to set it up beforehand?

I remember hearing lots of negativity about the Italy offerings at F&W the last couple years, but Steve loved both of these. Everything on the antipasto plate was delicious and he said the meatballs tasted great, freshly made, and the sauce also

I am a wannabe Italian…now THOSE dishes look yummy!

I hit the character training jackpot again as the big barn-like doors opened to the left of the Liberty Inn:

I'm going to keep my eye out for this! How lucky for you! That Smee picture is the BEST!

As usual when I know exactly when we're coming back I was sad the trip was ending but not sad enough to :sad:; we had another awesome adults only trip in the books with mostly hit as far As the food, and we were both excited that we'd be experiencing the Flower and Garden festival again in May!

It's the ONLY thing that helps!

Steve's plate: starting with the Zebra Dome and going clockwise, you have an Oreo Cheesecake Tart, Kenyan Coffee Tart, Cape Dutch Malva Pudding and a Guava Panna Cotta

Mine: the Oreo Cheesecake Tart, a Chocolate Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce, and a good old-fashioned Brownie

That's what my whole dinner plate would look like there…the rest of it just doesn't appeal to me :crazy2:

I rarely take selfies since I suck at them - but I changed it up this time. However Steve wasn't in the mood and I'm not sure what he's looking at? Oh well, my best attempt. You'll notice my freaky eyes which are a staple in my selfie attempts:

You look great! I'd crop Steve right out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter