Italy adults only August 2017 trip report

Today was our visit to St. Peter's Basilica. There aren't words to describe the incredible mastery, talent and artistry that surrounds you while inside. We have visited many incredibly beautiful churches in our travels but none compare to the vast beauty of this one.

Later on, we visited the Pantheon which is an architectural marvel in and of itself. Trevi Fountain was awesome to see in person. Waking the streets of Rome during our guided tour, listening to Stephan describe some of the symbolism in the architecture had me wanting to re-read Dan Brown's Robert Langdon books and begin studying cryptography.

View attachment 263164 View attachment 263165 View attachment 263166 View attachment 263167 View attachment 263168 View attachment 263169 View attachment 263170 View attachment 263171 View attachment 263172 View attachment 263173
Following your trip report. I went to Rome after Italy and Switzerland ABD. Took some advice from @OKW Lover regarding food tour....OMG OMG if you are going back thru Rome checking out eating Italy. So good I plan on a detour prior to Viking cruise.

Speaking of, your photos are amazing and the one thing I didn't get to was the inside of St. Peter's. On the other hand was within 5 feet of Pope in St Peter's Sq instead- well worth giving up the inside. (sorry for the double post, catching up on this thread). Wow you got photos of inside of Sistine chapel- how?

Last edited:

Love the nails! How did you get an ABD jacket?

Thanks! I swear if my nail tech didn't do Disney nail art, I wouldn't get mani/pedis. ABD used to sell merchandise online and once in a while you can still find something cool on EBay. I check periodically.

Awwe. Thanks for doing that!!

No problem :-)

@calypso726 Miki was amazing. Tell her Will also says hello from the same trip as @OKW Lover

I will do that this morning.

Following your trip report. I went to Rome after Italy and Switzerland ABD. Took some advice from @OKW Lover regarding food tour....OMG OMG if you are going back thru Rome checking out eating Italy. So good I plan on a detour prior to Viking cruise.

Speaking of, your photos are amazing and the one thing I didn't get to was the inside of St. Peter's. On the other hand was within 5 feet of Pope in St Peter's Sq instead- well worth giving up the inside. (sorry for the double post, catching up on this thread). Wow you got photos of inside of Sistine chapel- how?

Rome is an amazing city! Yet again, another place we will have to return to again. I will definitely do one of those food tours next time and also visit the catacombs.

We just got lucky with regards to being allowed to take pictures. I understand sometimes you are allowed and sometimes not with the private ABD after hours tour. The expectation was not there but I think we were all mentally crossing our fingers and definitely on our best and most respectful behavior. To be honest, the possibility of this alone, is reason enough to choose ABD for me.

I'll be back with more later!

Thanks! I swear if my nail tech didn't do Disney nail art, I wouldn't get mani/pedis. ABD used to sell merchandise online and once in a while you can still find something cool on EBay. I check periodically.

No problem :-)

I will do that this morning.

Rome is an amazing city! Yet again, another place we will have to return to again. I will definitely do one of those food tours next time and also visit the catacombs.

We just got lucky with regards to being allowed to take pictures. I understand sometimes you are allowed and sometimes not with the private ABD after hours tour. The expectation was not there but I think we were all mentally crossing our fingers and definitely on our best and most respectful behavior. To be honest, the possibility of this alone, is reason enough to choose ABD for me.

I'll be back with more later!

thanks for the info and passing along hello. yeah i love rome. very lucky -reason for me to do the ABD

Today we left Rome and headed for Tuscany. We stopped in Orvieto on the way. The town was really neat and had some great shops. It's another of those places that you get a taste of and want to come back to and explore in depth. My favorite shop in the town was Il Mago di Oz (Wizard of Oz). I could have spent all day exploring that shop alone.

Our hotel is just charming! The view of the Tuscan hills and landscape dotted with olive trees is going to be something that is hard to leave behind. Something about just being here is soothing to the soul.

IMG_6158.JPG IMG_6161.JPG IMG_6166.JPG IMG_6172.JPG IMG_6182.JPG IMG_6184.JPG AE36F777-66BB-405D-80A3-EA18714879A6.JPG 28F3EED5-6F51-4667-AD9F-D8DBB182F932.JPG 30A1ED07-24C5-4C68-AB3D-34958290CF5B.JPG

I was surprised by Orvieto-it was so charming! We also had a tour of the caves (not on ABD) and it was so interesting to learn about the Etruscans and how people have lived in them for centuries. Tomorrow you'll be in Florence? It is so lovely...totally jealous!

Today we left Rome and headed for Tuscany. We stopped in Orvieto on the way. The town was really neat and had some great shops. It's another of those places that you get a taste of and want to come back to and explore in depth. My favorite shop in the town was Il Mago di Oz (Wizard of Oz). I could have spent all day exploring that shop alone.

Our hotel is just charming! The view of the Tuscan hills and landscape dotted with olive trees is going to be something that is hard to leave behind. Something about just being here is soothing to the soul.

View attachment 263412 View attachment 263413 View attachment 263414 View attachment 263415 View attachment 263416 View attachment 263417 View attachment 263418 View attachment 263419 View attachment 263420

Wow amazing

Today was our visit to St. Peter's Basilica. There aren't words to describe the incredible mastery, talent and artistry that surrounds you while inside. We have visited many incredibly beautiful churches in our travels but none compare to the vast beauty of this one.

Later on, we visited the Pantheon which is an architectural marvel in and of itself. Trevi Fountain was awesome to see in person. Waking the streets of Rome during our guided tour, listening to Stephan describe some of the symbolism in the architecture had me wanting to re-read Dan Brown's Robert Langdon books and begin studying cryptography.
I was looking forward to getting your take on Rome, glad you are loving it also, it blew me away. I did read the Dan Brown books that were out at the time I went and agree would love to dive deeper on the history. I always knew I would have to go back but I think you just expedited that plan, and have me doing a search on ABD. Thank you for sharing the amazing pictures!

Pieta, Sistine Chapel and David are all amazing. I got chills when I first saw Pieta and was awestruck with David. I am so glad you're enjoying yourself and sharing your phenomenal photos with us.

Note to self-must return to Italy...
Yes, ditto

Following along. I love your photos of the Sistine Chapel. I visited with a mass of people but was still awestruck at the three dimensional quality of the paintings - simply breathtaking! Looking forward to the rest of the report. Thanks.

I have the same picture of the Duomo with the sun in the back

We loved Orvieto. Have some very nice ceramic pieces from a shop directly across from the cathedral, Ceramiche Giacomini. We plan on stopping there the next time we visit the area.

We also bought some ceramic pieces there. Loved the shop and the shop keepers! We'd definitely stop again if we come back someday.

I was surprised by Orvieto-it was so charming! We also had a tour of the caves (not on ABD) and it was so interesting to learn about the Etruscans and how people have lived in them for centuries. Tomorrow you'll be in Florence? It is so lovely...totally jealous!

Yes! I did enjoy learning a little about the Etruscans. I would love to do a tour on our return with more in depth detail. I tried to snag a catacombs tour for our pre-day a while ago but it was sold out. Oh well, it means we will just have to come back.

Wow amazing

My thoughts exactly!

I was looking forward to getting your take on Rome, glad you are loving it also, it blew me away. I did read the Dan Brown books that were out at the time I went and agree would love to dive deeper on the history. I always knew I would have to go back but I think you just expedited that plan, and have me doing a search on ABD. Thank you for sharing the amazing pictures!

I loved Rome but I am in love with Tuscany right now! I asked our guides for their thoughts about the other two Italian itineraries. When I combined their feedback and what other guests on previous trips have told me, I think we just added 2 more ABD trips to the ever growing bucket list of ABD trips!

Following along. I love your photos of the Sistine Chapel. I visited with a mass of people but was still awestruck at the three dimensional quality of the paintings - simply breathtaking! Looking forward to the rest of the report. Thanks.

Glad everyone is enjoying the photos and trip report. I am still in shock and awe that we were fortunate enough to be allowed to take pictures there. I feel like I should play the lottery with that kind of luck right now.

I have the same picture of the Duomo with the sun in the back

Everywhere I turn seems so picturesque. It's hard to choose what pics to share. There are so many that I like! LOL

Ok so I think I'm moving to Tuscany. If DH said, "Hey let's just drop everything and move here, I would." We've already decided we are coming back and staying at Sara's B&B on the farm we visited today. I didn't want to leave.

Ahem, to the corporate ABD peeps that read this board, just in case y'all read this some day ... We also decided ABD should do an adults only small group trip that stays at the B&B farm we visited today and explores the area in more depth. I'll be writing that on my survey after the trip in case they never read this. I'm pretty sure they read those surveys.

Sara was amazing, the farm and the property were spectacular. Today was one of those blissful days you simply can't put into words. Even a picture, cannot express the thousand words you are unable to come up with to describe the absolute serenity that nourishes the soul by simply being here. So, I am not going to try, as I will fail in spectacular fashion to convey what I mean. Suffice to say, the last time I was moved on such a deep level was during our trip to Scotland.

IMG_6204.JPG FB01FED5-00E8-4855-81F6-691647835021.JPG 56E17CD5-A4F2-4CEB-A3D9-BF8C054DB6A0.JPG 341FD8B1-8D60-4E37-BD49-18AC27380021.JPG 70F21B7F-CAE2-4AD0-A2C7-23A758F2103B.JPG 18D19B61-FA39-479E-AFF3-BF9C21F1F599.JPG 5C63665D-D677-447D-A8A4-902BCEF7D4DE.JPG D2650786-AAFD-45F4-995E-72506CAF3E6E.JPG 84AFE783-39F9-4C9B-8E21-895774EE0BDC.JPG 937853CF-C5EF-4A82-BA3A-C896D6EC18F6.JPG

Enjoying this! We loved our Northern Italy/Switzerland ABD this summer (with the fabulous Miki and Drew) - not sure if this one is quite right for our thrill seeking 12 year old.....

Beautiful photos! Some of them remind me of the areas we visited on our Spain ABD in May - those quaint streets and flower pots and olive trees... ah.......

This past May was our 4th ABD, but the first "adult only" and let me tell you - I can't wait until we can take another! Love your updates!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter