The ABCs of Greece & Italy! X, Y, and Z, and that Friends is THE END!!! :) See you in Asia and Australia, Join Me THERE!!

Joining in! I’m excited to hear about all your plans!
We did a Mediterranean cruise in 2007 and I loved it. We went to Istanbul, Greece, Italy, France and Spain, we started in Venice.
We went in September and the weather was so beautiful.
Italy is beautiful and so much old world charm.
Hi Caroline!! It's so great to have you here! :welcome: Your itinerary sounded a little more varied than ours which will stick to Rome, Naples, 3 or 4 Greek Isles and 2 ports in Turkey. When I was in high school the cruise I did then stopped in Mallorca and Tunis as well. I just love the Mediterranean. ::yes:: I think September is going to be perfect weather! Although I didn't choose that time to go, I'll take it!

Surreal, isn't it???

Yes, very!! Yikes!
No. Mom's just getting too old. She has recently had some health issues that have made her decide to not go anymore.
I still have my 50% credit, so might... might still go. But I don't know. Maybe if someone wanted to go with me, it'd make it an easier decision, but... :confused3
Maybe I'll go when you and Kari do your cruise. Then we can compare cruise TRs.

That's really such a shame! :( She must be pretty bummed. I"m surprised because of Covid they didn't refund it all. Hopefully you can find someone to go with you so you can enjoy it still!!
Oy! That would be harsh. Fingers crossed for you.
Yeah, it sure would. :(

Hello. I am normally a lurker on threads, but I had to join in as Italy is amazing. I actually was able to visit both Italy and Greece. I did a Masters degree in London a few years ago and took advantage of the travel opportunities. My husband and I back when we were dating spent a week in Italy visiting Venice, Florence, and Rome. It was our first real trip together and Italy was amazing - the food, wine, and culture.
What a wonderful opportunity!! That's so awesome!

:welcome: and I can't wait to share this trip, but especially with someone who is familiar and can offer insights as I go. :)
I hope it is cooler for you as it was so hot when we were there in July.

I hope so too. I'm starting to think about my clothing and have some light summer sleeveless dresses picked out. I can throw a long-sleeved blouse over them to cover up if needed and still stay cool.
One thing I recommend before you go if you have time is to read the City of Falling Angels by John Berendt. He highlights some interesting Venice landmarks including a church that I cannot wait to check out whenever we get back there.

Interesting!! I will certainly check it out! Thanks!!
Like you, our next trip we want to do for much longer and do some driving around as you can really get a feel for the country that way.
That's one thing I love about this trip! 3 WEEKS!! The rental car is going to be great driving around Tuscany and then over to Venice from there. I can't wait to take in the vistas and scenery! Stopping at an Osteria for lunch... ? Yes, please!

:cheer2: party::banana::wave: Yeah! I am so excited that you decided to keep this PTR/TR somewhere we can find it! Can't wait to read along! You will be going on one of my bucket list items! Woo Hoo!

Hey Everyone, work weeks are very, VERY busy for me. This is a good thing. For months I had worried about getting ENOUGH hours with such a tenuous situation at medical facilities. The truth is, most hospitals and surgery centers were very, very empty with hardly ANY patients. Many of my friends were laid off and even now, both places I work are struggling to re-boot after all of this. But now, we full-timers are back to work and since we have fewer cases I am having to work shorter days, but more of them. But it’s enough to still make me exhausted and I have other things I need to do when I’m off.

My point is, replies are going to be slow during the week. Be patient with me and look forward to chatter and replies on the weekends. :)

Last edited:
Hey Everyone, work weeks are very, VERY busy for me. This is a good thing. For months I had worried about getting ENOUGH hours with such a tenuous situation at medical facilities. The truth is, most hospitals and surgery centers were very, very empty with hardly ANY patients. Many of my friends were laid off and even now, both places I work are struggling to re-boot after all of this. But now, we full-timers are back to work and since we have fewer cases I am having to work shorter days, but more of them. But it’s enough to still make me exhausted and I have other things I need to do when I’m off.
You certainly are one busy lady!
My point is, replies are going to be slow during the week. Be patient with me and look forward to chatter and replies on the weekends. :)
Totally get it. We'll see you when you have the time. :)

What an exciting trip this is going to be. Is this the same daughter that went with you to Africa?
Hi There and a big :welcome: It is shaping up to be a very exciting, busy trip full of hopping from place to place to see all the sights. :)

Nope, that daughter was my oldest girl; this young lady is my youngest "baby" who will be 18 in a week. :)

:cheer2: party::banana::wave: Yeah! I am so excited that you decided to keep this PTR/TR somewhere we can find it! Can't wait to read along! You will be going on one of my bucket list items! Woo Hoo!
Hi Terri!! So great to have you along again! :) :welcome: It was so hard deciding/looking for a place to post the TR- there just didn't seem to be a good place that folks that already follow me would be able to see easily. Hopefully, the Mods won't move it. Italy has been a bucket list place for a while for me and I'm so happy to have this chance.

Joining in! I’m excited for your trip.
Well, Hello there New Friend! I love having new folks join in and follow along! Hopefully, my long delay in replying didn't scare you off! The work weeks are just so long and hard. But :welcome: and the more you comment, the more fun it will be for everyone! Looking forward to getting to know you!

A is for Arriving with Air Travel

*********** WARNING- A DIZZYING, PERHAPS TEDIOUS, EXPLANATION OF AIR TICKET CHALLENGES***********

As I mentioned, both Kari and I ended up with air tickets that were either non-refundable or non-changable or both. So why waste them? Added to the fact that my Norwegian Air ticket for getting there left me with no small amount of anxiety. To back up one step, I had purchased separate fares for going and returning as I wasn't sure of my itinerary and may very well have chosen to visit Germany on my way back. Covid messed that up. The wiser choice is to spend all of my time in Italy and not risk border crossings where I might risk being subjected to quarantines all over again. I am still waiting for definitive word on if that's still going to be a thing.

Anyway, I had booked a VERY inexpensive airfare through Royal Caribbean's Air to Sea program, but as with all non-refundable tix, I was stuck with it. However, I did some digging.....

Norwegian, because of Covid is willing to either: A) refund my ticket IF they cancel my flight outright due to schedule changes and/or Covid for the value of the ticket (so not really non-refundable afterall technically) OR give me a CREDIT PLUS 20% of the value if I take a voucher for future travel OR B) if *I* cancel due to travel concerns they will give me a credit towards a flight that must be used in a year. Either way, with the cruise next year I have a good chance of being able to use the ticket. Otherwise it's a loss but gives me the peace of mind of a surer flight.

But here's the catch that was giving me anxiety: Every report that I was reading online about Norwegian Air is that they are cancelling more flights than flying and they have recently laid off more than half of their employees. That is NOT a good sign that my LAX to Rome flight was actually going to go. I mean, how much of a priority is a Los Angeles/Rome route, as opposed to say, a Copenhagan to LAX route? In the end, I decided to wait and see what Norwegian does with my flight and either take the credit for next year's cruise trip and possibly use that ticket or get a refund. As an insurance policy and anxiolytic, I booked a new airfare for myself on AlItalia direct from LAX to Rome and a hopper down to LAX that morning. Other than a long layover in LAX it should be a nice travel day. Long, but easy. No layovers other than LA, which cuts the chances of a lost bag by about 100% for every place they don't touch said bag.

Luckily, I had made that decision to change my flight over not long ago while at my folks' place 2 weeks ago and, when Anara decided to join us, there was a ticket still available. So, thankfully, both flights over are together, one on the airline that has high stakes in Italian routes, hasn't had layoffs in the company to a degree that's made international news and, best of all, non-stop!!

I've watched several POV videos on how to navigate FCO once we land on how to get through customs and immigration and make our way onto the Leonardo di Vinci train that will take us into the city center. Kari and I had a conversation a few days ago about whether to book ourselves a shuttle vs. taking the train. The train option seems quite easy and it's only about $15 per person. A taxi from the Termini Train station over to our AirBnb should only run us about $8 total, so this should be a good option for us. Once we land it should only take us an hour and a half total to get into town and get to touring. The hope is to be at the Sistene Chapel by 3:30PM for a tour after a 12:15PM landing, transportation to our AirBnb and a quick luggage dump and freshen up.

And thus will begin our 19 days of touring....

Glad you got the air transportation all sorted out. Don't blame you for being cautious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter