Italy - how much time in Orvieto?

Donalyn

DIS Veteran
Trying to figure out something to do in Orvieto, but unsure of how much on our own time we will have. Anyone remember? What did you do there?

We have not taken the Italy ABD but we were just in Italy with our family in April and we stopped in Orvieto on way from Rome to Florence. It’s a beautiful medieval town with a large cathedral that has some beautiful art (including some frescoes that Michelangelo came to study before painting the Sistine Chapel), but otherwise the experience is prmarily walking around and enjoying the atmosphere of a medieval town high up on a hill. We were there for 3-4 hours, including a guided tour of the cathedral and a walk around town + lunch, which was perfect

We went on the ABD trip last summer and I recall having roughly 2 hours on our own to shop and walk around the town. We had lunch as a group and walked a bit together with the guides showing us were to buy specific items.

Also would mention if you enjoy cooking Italian food, my wife picked up some amazing Italian seasoning packets that we brought back as gifts and also used in our pasta back home. It was out of this world!

Last edited:
I went on the 2016 Italy ABD. I think we had around 90 minutes of on your own time after they brought us into Orvieto, but I don’t remember exactly. The trip has changed since then. Our group had lunch after leaving Orvieto, at some villa along the way toward Florence. The itinerary now seems to hold lunch in Orvieto.

There was enough time to see the church, do some shopping, and get the gelato that the guides provided. I also walked to one edge of town to get some pictures of the surrounding area.

Good info above. Just wanted to add that the best ceramics in Orvieto are directly across the street from the Duomo at Giacomini ceramics. They ship to the US for very reasonable amounts and their packing is incredibly robust. We've visited there twice and bought multiple items each time.

We climbed the clock tower in the middle of town for a great view & did some shopping.
Eat lunch at the café right across the street from the clock tower. Best Panini of our whole trip!

If it's hot, or you like archeology, consider visiting the well (Pozzo della cava). You climb down into the deep well that fed the city during pre-Roman times.

Op follow up. We had about 60 minutes because Rome schedule got switched up. Not enough time to do the Well which was what I really wanted to do. Instead we climbed the bell tower and did a little ceramic shopping.

Trying to figure out something to do in Orvieto, but unsure of how much on our own time we will have. Anyone remember? What did you do there?
We did ABD Viva Italia in 2008 and had most of one day (stop over from Rome to Tuscan hotel). We did this ABD tour again June 2018 and had approximately the same time-the majority of the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!