Italy tips

The local wine or beer in Europe can be cheaper than a Coke!

Alcoholic drinks with you favorite American imported spirit can be much more expensive.

-Paul

Just curious as to a ballpark of cost for the on you own meals for the trip. We are pretty basic eaters but do enjoy a fancy meal occasionally and do drink alcoholic beverages. Thanks
You'll find that the house wine is always very good and will likely cost you less than coke light. Keep in mind that there are no free refills on soft drinks in europe.

Meals on your own can be fairly cheap or they can be expensive. It just depends on what you are in the mood for. If you are on an ABD, your guides will have suggestions nearby in all price ranges.

Thanks you guys, I am okay with wine over sodas. What about water and milk? My 10 year old is weird and doesn't like much else except (gag) green smoothie juices.

Bummer. Hard to believe they wont accommodate this. I'd try emailing the hotel directly, tell them the situation and what a hardship it'd be if they can't, even offer to pay a fee. Maybe you'll get lucky and get someone sympathetic to reply.

Really no reason to stay their on your arrival night if they can't be convinced. Might be better to get a hotel near Termini Station instead? We stayed at the Universo last spring. Good location for trains & affordable, but nice. No idea if they'd store your bags if you're not returning though. Not lugging your bags down to Sorrento is worth paying for.

Will ABD pick you up at the train station instead of the airport on the starting day of your tour?

We did email the Disney selected Gran Malia hotel. They were not helpful or sympathetic. We also pointed out we would be staying there the first night and returning thereafter, and also offered to pay a fee to stow two bags. They said they would hold the bags in the room but we would pay $1032 for the two nights we were not there. Um, no.

We did as you suggested - and the Marriott Palazzo Naidai near the station is a fantastic 5 star (and cheaper than the Disney hotel) who readily agreed to assist.
romex_main01_r.jpg

Disney will only take you to their hotel for the transfers (but it does help!), so we will then take a taxi from there to the Marriott. We'll spend the first night there and then head to the trains and upon return a night or two later will go back there to pick up our two main bags. Looking forward to the trip, and thanks to all for your great guidance and help. The DW is actually really excited about the hotel and trip OYO to the coast.

Serendipity - saved some money and ended up with a MUCH better hotel and plan. This is more central to the activities and things we also wanted to do on arrival. THANK YOU! You are a far better concierge than ABD.

We did as you suggested - and the Marriott Palazzo Naidai near the station is a fantastic 5 star (and cheaper than the Disney hotel) who readily agreed to assist.
Serendipity - saved some money and ended up with a MUCH better hotel and plan. This is more central to the activities and things we also wanted to do on arrival. THANK YOU! You are a far better concierge than ABD.
Sounds like a great plan! Your hotel is in a great location for the trains (and subway for first day). Lots of good eateries near there.

Since you dont have to worry about flight delays, you should be able to book your train to Naples ahead of time and save quite a bit. First class has a little nicer seats and more space, but its a short, non-stop ride.
Once in Naples, go down the stairs & turn left and you'll be at the ticket counter for the Circumvesuviana.
Where are you staying, Sorrento, or one of the Amalfi Coast towns?

Thanks you guys, I am okay with wine over sodas. What about water and milk? My 10 year old is weird and doesn't like much else except (gag) green smoothie juices.
Nothing is served as cold as we're used to. Bottled water ("sin gas" if you want flat, not sparkling) & milk always available.
Gelato places everywhere, some serve smoothies. We had gelato at least twice a day.
We did pizza often (thin with less toppings, but awesome! usually 7-10 euros & assumed that you each get your own.
Just getting the pasta course is usually less than 10 euros.
1/2 carafe of the house wine = glass & 1/2 for each of you.

We did email the Disney selected Gran Malia hotel. They were not helpful or sympathetic. We also pointed out we would be staying there the first night and returning thereafter, and also offered to pay a fee to stow two bags. They said they would hold the bags in the room but we would pay $1032 for the two nights we were not there. Um, no.

View attachment 320559

Disney will only take you to their hotel for the transfers (but it does help!), so we will then take a taxi from there to the Marriott. We'll spend the first night there and then head to the trains and upon return a night or two later will go back there to pick up our two main bags. Looking forward to the trip, and thanks to all for your great guidance and help. The DW is actually really excited about the hotel and trip OYO to the coast.

YAY!!! SO glad this all worked out for you and your wife!! This is why I love this Forum SO MUCH!!

Sayhello

Looks like there are some knowledgeable ABD folks here on this thread so I'm going to pop in with a question...
Can anyone compare/contrast the Italy and Italy/Amalfi coast ABD trips? I've seen some threads about doing the regular Italy trip and adding on your own pre days to include the Amalfi coast areas.

Basically I'm trying to find out what isn't on the Amalfi coast trip that's on the regular trip and if anyone thinks it's worth it.

Looks like there are some knowledgeable ABD folks here on this thread so I'm going to pop in with a question...
Can anyone compare/contrast the Italy and Italy/Amalfi coast ABD trips? I've seen some threads about doing the regular Italy trip and adding on your own pre days to include the Amalfi coast areas.

Basically I'm trying to find out what isn't on the Amalfi coast trip that's on the regular trip and if anyone thinks it's worth it.
The main thing that's not on the Amalfi coast trip is Rome. A lot of folks will do pre- or post-days in Rome along with the Amalfi trip.

I did the Med cruise ABD add-on, and it did a mix of activities from both the Italy and the Italy/Amalfi ABDs. Rome was amazing, but I *really* loved the Amalfi coast day at the Agriturismo La Galetea Farm, where you get to make your own pizzas, and the boat ride around Capri is lovely! Both trips go to Florence, so that's good (you cannot go to Italy and not see the David!!). We did not go to Venice, so I can't comment on that. A lot of people really love it there.

Sayhello

The main thing that's not on the Amalfi coast trip is Rome. A lot of folks will do pre- or post-days in Rome along with the Amalfi trip.

I did the Med cruise ABD add-on, and it did a mix of activities from both the Italy and the Italy/Amalfi ABDs. Rome was amazing, but I *really* loved the Amalfi coast day at the Agriturismo La Galetea Farm, where you get to make your own pizzas, and the boat ride around Capri is lovely! Both trips go to Florence, so that's good (you cannot go to Italy and not see the David!!). We did not go to Venice, so I can't comment on that. A lot of people really love it there.

Sayhello
Thank you for the info! We'll definitely have a hard time deciding.

I will add one tip. We did a food tour pre ABD - we got a bunch of the group together before hand and booked it. it was a great way to start the trip.

If you’re willing to consider Tauck Bridges, their Amalfi trip includes Rome in lieu of Florence. I’ve been to both Rome and Florence a couple times and while Florence is one of my favorite places, it’s hard to skip Rome if you’ve never been. When I take DS to Italy for the first time, we’ll likely do the Tauck Bridges trip for this reason. Hoping to go in 2020.

We just returned from Viva Italia ABD (Rome, Florence, Venice) and the private after-hours Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel tour is amazing. If you have been to these places during regular hours, you realize what a special experience it is without the mayhem and crowds. It was the number one reason we chose the Viva tour but we will probably do the Amalfi one next.

Laundry near Gran Melia that we used was about 15 minute walk. Raji at Il Mastello in Trastevere ( Via della Pelliccia, 35) is super helpful and speaks English—he made our laundromat experience easy.

We just returned from Viva Italia ABD (Rome, Florence, Venice) and the private after-hours Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel tour is amazing. If you have been to these places during regular hours, you realize what a special experience it is without the mayhem and crowds. It was the number one reason we chose the Viva tour but we will probably do the Amalfi one next.

That sounds so incredibly appealing. That ABD is high on my list of next adventure.

Has anyone here traveled to Lake Garda from Venice? We are staying 3 days in Venice post ABD and thinking about taking a day trip there.

Would anyone be able to tell me what the dress code in churches for children is? Could my 7 year old boy wear shorts that cover his knees?
Are they as strict with children as they are with adults?

Would anyone be able to tell me what the dress code in churches for children is? Could my 7 year old boy wear shorts that cover his knees?
Are they as strict with children as they are with adults?
They are not as strict with kids and if his shorts hit his knees he will be fine.

I've been PM'd with a bunch of specific questions & thought I'd try to summarize them for all to see:

•If at all possible, arrive early (or stay longer). The group travel is great, but spending a few days on your own really gives you a different feel for Italy (I vote arrive early in Italy or do a layover in another European city after if you can swing it)
•Have a credit card with no foreign transaction fees & make fewer, but larger ATM withdrawals. Don't need to get euros ahead of time, the ATM at the airport has a much better exchange rate. Hoard the 1 & 2 euro coins (there are clean pay toilets but require exact change)
•Pack with the plan to do laundry at the half-way point (the free afternoon in Tuscany is perfect). Lots of the machines there dispense the detergent automatically. Just have a stain stick to pre-treat.
•Have a wish list for your free afternoons/evenings. Some may require advance reservations. We often found what others in the group were planning sounded better, so pick their brains over meals.

Dining
•We’re not big foodies, just wanted the best of each region without spending 100 euros
•Half carafe of wine really is cheaper than soda. The house wine is always good. For water, must specify if you want flat or carbonated. The ancient fountains have water that's safe to drink: refill you bottles.
•Italy loves its multi-course 3 hour meals. We usually stuck with one or two courses
•They see rushing you as rude. You’ll have to ask for your check if you want to keep moving
•Great gelato/coffee everywhere! Remember you pay more if you want to sit. Get it to go.
It will be tempting to join the whole group for some of the meals on your own (often the guide will make group reservations). Remember, large group take forever to order/be served, & big groups don’t get the primo tables. Plus it’s good to have some personal time.
•Try a shot of limoncello at the end of your meal. It’s meant to be sipped!

Rome
•The Coliseum day is a lot of walking & stairs. Lots of sun. Dress accordingly.
•Tired? Catch a cab! Not that expensive.
•Our kids loved Castel St Angelo. Creepy Cappuchin Crypt
•Try to get to the Trevi fountain at night (smaller crowd, looks cool lit up)

Orvieto
•The bus ride is where the kids really bonded (they took over the rear of the bus).
•Great panini shop at the base of the clock tower. Try the wild boar!
•Best gelato of the trip was just out the side door of the church.
•This is your only real exposure to a small Italian village, so take advantage by wandering the side streets.

Florence
•Make your reservation to climb the Duomo before you leave. It gets booked well in advance. We did St Peter's Dome climb as well, but this is a better experience.
•Ladies, have cash available for purses. The stands right outside the factory (Santa Croce) have better selection & are willing to bargain more than the rows of stands in the tourist market.
•Have coins ready for the street performers. They’ll only interact with your kids for a “donation.”

Venice
•Get back to the main island at night. No crowds and fun to wander around. Facing St Mark's, go around the left side of the cathedral: several side streets with great affordable dining options
•You don’t need to go to the Murano glass factory. Plenty of chances right in Venice proper to buy & see it made.
•Mask making was more fun than I expected. Don’t be afraid to start your mask & let the master craftsman finish it off to make it beautiful.
•The private water-taxi to the airport is another ABD perk that you’ll appreciate.
•Be sure to use up your euro coins before leaving Italy (only notes accepted at exchanges)

Overall
•Your ABD guides know the best spots for picture taking & will take as many as you like with your camera, just have it ready.
•Don’t waste a lot of time looking for the perfect restaurant. There are good ones everywhere!
•The hotel concierge is better at directions than your ABD guide (and he’ll give you a map).
•You can’t see everything, so don’t try!
•Keep a daily journal. Keep your ticket stubs. Snap a pic of hotel/restaurant/museum entrances. Makes it easier to organize pics when you get home.
•Don’t sweat the small stuff. ABD will take good care of you.
Thank you for the tips! We are heading to this trip in a week. Getting excited! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter