Hanging up my running shoes

SUCCESS on my run. UGH, though, I'd forgotten how much I hate to run on a treadmill. I did work up a good sweat though, so that's not a bad thing. Anyway, it went well. Definitely pushing myself to hit that speedier interval. 9 m/m pace for 3:00 and :30 walk, but only for 1 mile. Legs were great, but definitely felt it some in my cardio. I was happy to hit the cool down at the end. :) Why is it that it seems like you are running so much faster on a treadmill than when you are outside? Or at least it seems that way to me.
Congrats on the successfully run. Treadmill runs feel harder to me too.

. I may have mentioned this once somewhere but I have actually taken to watching peoples go pro videos of races while on the treadmill. It actually makes it feel like you are moving beyond in place especially when the photographer is weaving in and out. It's really cool when you get a faster runner than you video, kind of gives you that special I'm an elite feeling. Totally has made the treadmill more enjoyable for me.
That's how I spend my treadmill runs. I probably account for half of rezruns views.

Count me in the camp that thinks treadmill runs are tougher. I agree that I think a lot of it is perceived effort. Running outside is more like a fun adventure so the effort isn't as noticable for me. Usually, if I'm on a treadmill, I'm obsessively counting down the seconds until the next quarter mile. It keeps my mind busy and sometimes tricks me into thinking I'm almost done.

So impressed with your post-sangria run!!

I did 7 miles in the treadmill yesterday, so feel your pain. It almost feels like cheating when it comes to pacing too - like every once in a while it might be helpful to cement the feel of a pace, but not at all helpful in terms of what pacing outdoors feels like.

Been trying to catch up on journals since Dopey. Congrats on Chicago and the new DB plan. Excited to hear about both and sounds like things are going well so far. Love the new blues brother avatar, that is one of our favorite movies? Have you and Chris decided who's Jake and who's Elwood?

I will also agree that skirts do make a difference when it's hot. I ended up ditching mine on the marathon. It was a cheap homemade so wasn't too sad to see it go and it did make the rest of the run much better.

I also agree with the treadmill seems faster cause you are not going past the scenery, etc. I may have mentioned this once somewhere but I have actually taken to watching peoples go pro videos of races while on the treadmill. It actually makes it feel like you are moving beyond in place especially when the photographer is weaving in and out. It's really cool when you get a faster runner than you video, kind of gives you that special I'm an elite feeling. Totally has made the treadmill more enjoyable for me.

P.S. Your puppies are adorable

Chris and I totally need to decide on Jake and Elwood. Hmmmm. I need to think on that one though. I do think I need to figure out some videos to watch while running on a treadmill. I think that would help me out and not fixate on the time/distance display.

Congrats on the successfully run. Treadmill runs feel harder to me too.

That's how I spend my treadmill runs. I probably account for half of rezruns views.

I'm going to check out this rezrun thing.

Count me in the camp that thinks treadmill runs are tougher. I agree that I think a lot of it is perceived effort. Running outside is more like a fun adventure so the effort isn't as noticable for me. Usually, if I'm on a treadmill, I'm obsessively counting down the seconds until the next quarter mile. It keeps my mind busy and sometimes tricks me into thinking I'm almost done.

Exactly. There's really nothing to look at, so I fixate on watching that stupid little lap tracker thing.

So impressed with your post-sangria run!!

I did 7 miles in the treadmill yesterday, so feel your pain. It almost feels like cheating when it comes to pacing too - like every once in a while it might be helpful to cement the feel of a pace, but not at all helpful in terms of what pacing outdoors feels like.

UGG. 7 on a treadmill. And, yes, not helpful to figure out pacing at all.

I promise not to complain about running slower again
Training update 2/5/18 - 2/11/18

tenor.gif

Monday 2/5/18 - Plan was for 4 miles at Easy/LR pace. We had snow on Sunday night and since I'm naturally a klutz, we opted to wait to run until after work. This was good in that the trail we were running was improved. It was still pretty icy in spots, so we ended up shorting the distance a bit and concluded with 3.2 miles and a pace of 12:12.
Tuesday 2/6/28 - This was our first run that included some continuous running along with intervals. 4 miles total. The first 2 were with our :60/:30 intervals and then the 2nd 2 miles were an easy continuous run. As I posted here earlier, we were a bit too fast on the continuous run portion (11:20 and 11:40, I believe), but Billy said that was still okay. I actually really enjoyed the continuous running portion at that nice easy pace.
giphy.gif

Wednesday 2/7/18 - Rest day
Thursday 2/8/18 - I talked about this some already, but this was the first bit of speed work in our plan. And, after doing it I looked at the schedule and realized I mucked it up. I'm a dummy.

tenor.gif

So, I was supposed to run 3 miles at Easy/LR and then do 1 mile at 10K (which is 9 mm for 3:00 and walk for :30) and then 0.5 mile cool down. Well, for some reason, I thought it was run 2 miles and then 1 miles at 10K and then 1 mile again at easy for cool down, so yeah. That was wrong. :) So, I ended up at just 4 miles instead of 4.5 and sort of did things not the right way. Oops. But, I'm guessing that's not some major flaw that will ruin my training season. LOL Anyway, it was challenging, but not impossible and I guess that's exactly how it's supposed to be right. So, we'll see how this week goes with it and hopefully we get to actually run it outside.
Friday 2/9/18 - Rest day
Saturday 2/10/18 - 5 miles at Easy/LR. There was a call for an ice storm moving in, so Chris and I got out bright and early on Saturday. It was chilly, but manageable. Tiny bit fast over all, but getting pretty close. Pace 12:18.
And then came the ice!!
tumblr_nju35ohPiO1rf73xqo3_500.gif

Yeah, it wasn't some huge amount, but it was this freezing drizzle that basically turned everything into a skating rink, so come Sunday...
Sunday 12/11/18 - Plan was for 7 miles at Easy/LR, but there was no running outside. Every surface was a sheet of ice. The thought of 7 on the treadmill was more than we could bear, so we missed the run. Sigh. *note to self* don't start a new training regimen in January/February. I promise, Billy, we are normally far more compliant on our training plans!

So, there you have it. Yet again an imperfect week, but we'll just keep on working on it, but, man, I'm already ready for some spring time weather!!

giphy.gif

That makes perfect sense. It's funny because many moons again when I did a stint of running I ran exclusively on a treadmill and I think you are right that when I was doing it all the time and I was used to it, it was no big deal, but now it feels like torture. LOL

Count me as a reformed treadmill-hater. I REALLY hated treadmill days until we got ours this winter. Now that I'm used to it, I've come to... dare I say it... actually enjoy it. I still like being outside better, but the margin between the two is much, much smaller. Re: it feeling faster... I try to be mindful of keeping my stride the same, but I'm sure it's a faster cadence and shorter stride on the treadmill for me, so it feels like I'm going a lot faster because I'm hitting the ground a lot more often. That's my personal guess, anyways.

I would have bagged the icy run too...and 7 miles on the TM. NOPE.
tenor.gif

Seriously, WHERE ARE YOU SPRING?? :sad:

Did you get your 4" shorts yet?? :hyper:

Fell way behind on your journal, but so glad to read your updates!!! Hey pups!!
I sort of jumped into DopeyBadger's first plan last year after training in run/walk before that. He wrote the plan for continuous running, and it took me a few weeks to adapt. At the beginning, I felt like I needed the walk breaks, but with each successive run, I felt like I could go farther without the feeling of needing the walk, until finally, I stopped taking walk breaks. It was a slow phase out of the walk interval. (Always felt like I wanted the walk breaks more on treadmill runs! Some days, I still feel that way!)
But anywho, hope you guys are having a good week! Come on Spring!

I'm still in awe that you did speed work after sangria...

Also, I am not a winter hater... but ENOUGH with the snow and ice and cold crap. I've had it. Bring on the sunshine!!

I kind of am a winter hater. More and more as I get older. :D Once Christmas is past, I'm pretty much ready for spring. It's why I want to be a snowbird when I retire.

Count me as a reformed treadmill-hater. I REALLY hated treadmill days until we got ours this winter. Now that I'm used to it, I've come to... dare I say it... actually enjoy it. I still like being outside better, but the margin between the two is much, much smaller. Re: it feeling faster... I try to be mindful of keeping my stride the same, but I'm sure it's a faster cadence and shorter stride on the treadmill for me, so it feels like I'm going a lot faster because I'm hitting the ground a lot more often. That's my personal guess, anyways.

I think you are right about stride and cadence. The concern about hitting the front of the treadmill I suspect gets me to increase cadence and decrease stride.

I would have bagged the icy run too...and 7 miles on the TM. NOPE.
tenor.gif

Seriously, WHERE ARE YOU SPRING?? :sad:

Did you get your 4" shorts yet?? :hyper:

I did get them!! I like I like them. I'll have to see how they do in a run to be sure, but the look of them is great.

Fell way behind on your journal, but so glad to read your updates!!! Hey pups!!
I sort of jumped into DopeyBadger's first plan last year after training in run/walk before that. He wrote the plan for continuous running, and it took me a few weeks to adapt. At the beginning, I felt like I needed the walk breaks, but with each successive run, I felt like I could go farther without the feeling of needing the walk, until finally, I stopped taking walk breaks. It was a slow phase out of the walk interval. (Always felt like I wanted the walk breaks more on treadmill runs! Some days, I still feel that way!)
But anywho, hope you guys are having a good week! Come on Spring!

Yeah, the continuous runs have felt good so far, but they aren't for very long, so it's easy right now! ;) We'll see how it goes as he increases distance.

This Weather.....
Training update 2/12/18 - 2/18/18
giphy.gif

This weather is killing me. Sigh.

Monday 2/12 - This was to be a 4 mile run, but still lots of ice on the ground from the previous day. I had intended to run that evening on the treadmill, but couldn't bring myself to do it. Honestly, one of these weeks, I'll actually do all my runs on the plan, I swear. Eventually the weather has to get better, right?
a%2B(1).gif

Tuesday 2/13 - Ice was gone! Hurrah!! 4 miles. 2 miles at Easy/LR pace and 2 at Easy Continuous. Continuous run felt good, although we had to alter our route since there's a new construction fence up and that meant we went up another big hill. UGH. Still it was fine. But, we went too fast on our EC. Oops. 11:07 and 10:51. ACK! Sorry, Coach. It's so dark when we run we don't really watch our watches on current pace and we were busy talking about a potential new job for Chris (send good vibes folks!) and just went way too fast. We have got to get better at that!
Wednesday 2/14 - Rest day! Happy Valentine's day, peeps!
tumblr_lzettncS0X1qf4qpho1_500.gif

Thursday 2/15 - It was 60 degrees at 5:00 AM!

200.gif

Ice a few days ago and now running in a skirt and t-shirt. Crazy! 10k pace day. 4.5 miles total. 3 miles at Easy/LR and then 1 at 10k pace. 10k pace for us is 3:00 at 9 m/m pace and then :30 walk. We ran this a bit too fast also. I think in my head it's so fast that I push harder than I should. We'll need to get more used to that. I think our run pace was closer to 8:30-8:45. Anyway, it was a push, but manageable. The last 0.5 was just easy cool down. It's kind of fun to push these paces a bit, but I'm ready for the cool down when it's done. :D
Friday 2/16 - Rest day
Saturday - 2/17 - Chris went up to KC to see his dad, so we waited until he got home later in the evening to run. It was DARK on our trail, y'all. I took our headlamp, but the battery was pretty weak and we didn't realize it. But, we survived. 7 miles at Easy/LR. This run felt great. Felt like I could have gone at that pace forever. Overall pace was 12:15.
Sunday - 2/18 - 9 miles at Easy/LR. Well, this one was a little bit tougher. Not horrible or anything, but after running late the night before and then up the next morning to run, my legs were a bit tired. Still, it went fine. We were also supposed to practice fueling. That was fine too, I think. We ate some toast before running and then some honey stingers around mile 4.5. Seemed fine. :confused3 Overall pace 12:14. Still going a bit fast on these easy runs but not way off.
Also, Sunday was this guy's birthday!

My son Drake is 20 years old!! What?!?!
Seems like just yesterday he looked like this!

https://flic.kr/p/2389JQB

It goes by fast! Don't blink!!

Tuesday 2/13 - Ice was gone! Hurrah!! 4 miles. 2 miles at Easy/LR pace and 2 at Easy Continuous. Continuous run felt good, although we had to alter our route since there's a new construction fence up and that meant we went up another big hill. UGH. Still it was fine. But, we went too fast on our EC. Oops. 11:07 and 10:51. ACK! Sorry, Coach. It's so dark when we run we don't really watch our watches on current pace and we were busy talking about a potential new job for Chris (send good vibes folks!) and just went way too fast. We have got to get better at that!

Bad news is it's still too fast, but the good news is it's probably the right pace. Wait, huh? Well we're assessing fitness based on the data prior to starting the training, but things can change or we can miss the mark. If you're going to tell me that you could be busy talking during this pace, then it's probably close to the right easy pace even though it's too fast from the original setup. Just means your faster than you think. The only hang-up is the duration is still quite short (2 miles) to justify making a change. Let's not adjust the paces because you're just starting to enter the harder phase of the training. Which means that you might start to naturally slow down because you're going to build that moderate fatigue level we're looking for.

Saturday - 2/17 - Chris went up to KC to see his dad, so we waited until he got home later in the evening to run. It was DARK on our trail, y'all. I took our headlamp, but the battery was pretty weak and we didn't realize it. But, we survived. 7 miles at Easy/LR. This run felt great. Felt like I could have gone at that pace forever. Overall pace was 12:15.
Sunday - 2/18 - 9 miles at Easy/LR. Well, this one was a little bit tougher. Not horrible or anything, but after running late the night before and then up the next morning to run, my legs were a bit tired. Still, it went fine. We were also supposed to practice fueling. That was fine too, I think. We ate some toast before running and then some honey stingers around mile 4.5. Seemed fine. :confused3 Overall pace 12:14. Still going a bit fast on these easy runs but not way off.

Yea evening/morning runs make it a bit tougher. Remember though, if it doesn't feel like easy pace then it probably isn't. So the conundrum is you felt a little more tired but yet could still run further at the same pace. As far as 12:15 vs 12:28, no biggie. You're still inside that aerobic window (much bigger pace zone). Same can't be said for the faster paces which are much much tighter.

It's kind of fun to push these paces a bit, but I'm ready for the cool down when it's done. :D

Sounds about right!

@Chris-Mo good vibes to you!! :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

Sounds like you guys are still adjusting to your news paces - you'll get there soon!

We are also having the crazy weather...snow yesterday and then tomorrow we're supposed to get up to like 65. Ooooookay then!

Happy birthday Drake!! :yay:

I mean I'm happy to see some of the warmer temps here and there, but it seems like it's always followed by another round of icy stuff. Blech.

Thanks for the well-wishes for Chris and for Drake's b-day!

Bad news is it's still too fast, but the good news is it's probably the right pace. Wait, huh? Well we're assessing fitness based on the data prior to starting the training, but things can change or we can miss the mark. If you're going to tell me that you could be busy talking during this pace, then it's probably close to the right easy pace even though it's too fast from the original setup. Just means your faster than you think. The only hang-up is the duration is still quite short (2 miles) to justify making a change. Let's not adjust the paces because you're just starting to enter the harder phase of the training. Which means that you might start to naturally slow down because you're going to build that moderate fatigue level we're looking for.

Well, okay, then I feel better about that. The continuous run definitely felt pretty easy and we were talking the whole time (normal for us :D ), so I'm glad to know that is probably ok. And, I agree that we are now starting to feel the build-up on the fatigue, so I'm perfectly happy to stay where we are for now. :)

Yea evening/morning runs make it a bit tougher. Remember though, if it doesn't feel like easy pace then it probably isn't. So the conundrum is you felt a little more tired but yet could still run further at the same pace. As far as 12:15 vs 12:28, no biggie. You're still inside that aerobic window (much bigger pace zone). Same can't be said for the faster paces which are much much tighter.

I think this may have been as much mental as physical. I mean, my legs were a bit tired, no doubt, but it's not like I felt like I couldn't go on or anything. Just kind of over it, you know? And, we thought we were probably close enough on our paces on the long runs, but good to get your confirmation on that.

Sounds about right!
We'll see how it goes this week with the longer distance this time!

Last edited:
I mean I'm happy to see some of the warmer temps here and there, but it seems like it's always followed by another round of icy stuff. Blech.

Thanks for the well-wishes for Chris and for Drake's b-day!

Well, okay, then I feel better about that. The continuous run definitely felt pretty easy and we were talking the whole time (normal for us :D ), so I'm glad to know that is probably ok. And, I agree that we are now starting to feel the build-up on the fatigue, so I'm perfectly happy to stay where we are for now. :)

I think this may have been as much metal as physical. I mean, my legs were a bit tired, no doubt, but it's not like I felt like I couldn't go on or anything. Just kind of over it, you know? And, we thought we were probably close enough on our paces on the long runs, but good to get your confirmation on that.

We'll see how it goes this week with the longer distance this time!

Just remember to try and force yourself to slow down on that 10k pace voluntarily before your body forces you to slow down out of necessity as the distance starts to increase now.

Yeah, weather is a little drunk. We had snow Saturday night and we're expecting 70s later this week. What???

Sending lots of good vibes for @Chris-Mo! :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

And happy birthday, Drake! :cake: Kids grow up too fast.

Yeah, weather is a little drunk. We had snow Saturday night and we're expecting 70s later this week. What???

Sending lots of good vibes for @Chris-Mo! :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

And happy birthday, Drake! :cake: Kids grow up too fast.

Thank you!! It was 65 this morning which should have been great for a run, but thunderstorms, so ended up doing it on the treadmill. Yuck.

Happy birthday to Drake and fingers crossed for @Chris-Mo! Hope your weather gets it together soon.

Thank you! They are calling for ice again I think Thursday. It's nutso!

Also, @Ariel484 I ran in the InB 4" shorts this morning on the treadmill. :love: I hope they make more of them!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter