It's been 32 years!

W.E.D.

Haunted Mansion junkie
Hey all,

Sometime late summer, early fall, I'll be making a trip to DL for the first time in 32 years. I know a lot has changed. I know we parked our car where DCA is located, I think. I have a few questions I'm hoping you can help me with.

I'll be driving in, staying at one of the Disney hotels. I assume there is good signage around the area to get me where I need to go? I was looking at the satellite image on google and I cant tell where I would enter to, for instance, get to the Disneyland Hotel.

If you have any tips on what you consider your "must see first" attractions, I'd love to hear about it.

Does DL/DCA still run on paper FP?

How far out can I make dining reservations? I'd really like to eat at the Blue Bayou, and probably get a dinner package for WOC. This will be a sort of last-minute trip, so I may have trouble with those based on what I've read here.

Thanks for your time and help, everyone!!

FYI, I'm planning on staying 4 or 5 days, so I should have time to see everything I want.

Everything is well marked on the streets.

As of now we still have paper fastpasses and you can make ADRs 60 days out.

Blue Bayou is in DL.. I don't think they have a dining package for WOC, which is in DCA. They will probably have one for Fantasmic which is reopening at the end of July.

Blue Bayou is in DL.. I don't think they a dining package for WOC, which is in DCA. They will probably have one for Fantasmic which is reopening at the end of July.

Oh. That's exciting! I've, obviously, only seen the WDW version.

I'll be driving in, staying at one of the Disney hotels. I assume there is good signage around the area to get me where I need to go? I was looking at the satellite image on google and I cant tell where I would enter to, for instance, get to the Disneyland Hotel.
I personally think there is pretty good signage to get you places within DLR. I recommend using Google Street View to try and get better idea of specific lanes, etc. I've used Street View to help me feel more familiar with an area when going on other trips.

If you have any tips on what you consider your "must see first" attractions, I'd love to hear about it.
This depends on what kind of attractions you like to do. For my family, we'd probably focus on some of the "classic" attractions (e.g., Haunted Mansion, PotC, etc.) over in DL. In DCA, we'd probably head to Carsland first.

Does DL/DCA still run on paper FP?
At this point yes, DLR is still using the paper FP system. They've announced the MaxPass system, but we're still waiting on more information.

How far out can I make dining reservations? I'd really like to eat at the Blue Bayou, and probably get a dinner package for WOC. This will be a sort of last-minute trip, so I may have trouble with those based on what I've read here.
Disneyland ADRs can be made up to 60-days in advance. For the most part, reservations aren't that hard to come by (you can often find pretty good reservation within a week of your trip). If you can't find what you want, keep checking because people do cancel the reservation (there is a $10 per person no show fee, which gives folks incentive to cancel their reservations if they can't make it or the plans change).

That's quite a break between visits.
Welcome Back. :dogdance:
We make sure to do POTC first thing.

Wishing you a fun trip :flower3:

I think a good question is, where are you driving from? For the most part once you exit off the freeway, you should be able to find your way to your hotel pretty easily. If your staying at one of the Disney hotels, I do believe that they hold a certain amount of dining reservations for hotel guests. If your worried about not getting what you want booked, I would call the hotel and go through them.

Thanks for all the info, everyone. I really appreciate it!

I've got another question. I've been looking at attractions, etc., through the DL app. I notice most of the sit-down restaurants say "casual dining", while a few, like Carthay Circle, say "signature/fine dining".
Is there a dress code for those restaurants? I'm a WDW vet and almost all the restaurants allow you to dine in your "park clothes".

I have no problem with a dress code. Just want to make sure I don't show up to my reservation under-dressed. :)

"Welcome Home!" You'll have a wonderful time, but you will notice quite a bit of difference as far as the crowds go. DL is nothing like it was 30+ years ago, it's simply more crowded and there are fewer and fewer 'low season' days. People also 'save places' and sit on curbs for hours for parades and shows. Just be prepared for crowds and bring your patience and sense of fun with you.

It may help you to make a list of must dos and concentrate on those first. When we made our first trip to WDW I went over all the rides and made a list of the 'must do' rides so we would be sure to get those in. If I were you, I'd look at the DL/DCA attractions and try to do the same. Maybe concentrate on ones you've never been on followed by the ones you remember as 'favourites'?

Be sure you use your onsite EMH (Extra Magic Hour) to get those done. And if I may, I recommend staying at the Grand if it's in the budget.

As far as the onsite hotels, they're well marked and your GPS will get you there with no problem. Once there unless you plan on other sightseeing, you'll park your car and forget it.

"Fine dining" refers more to the menus, service, and the 'decor' of the restaurant. People eat there in 'park clothes' all the time.

Thanks for all the info, everyone. I really appreciate it!

I've got another question. I've been looking at attractions, etc., through the DL app. I notice most of the sit-down restaurants say "casual dining", while a few, like Carthay Circle, say "signature/fine dining".
Is there a dress code for those restaurants? I'm a WDW vet and almost all the restaurants allow you to dine in your "park clothes".

I have no problem with a dress code. Just want to make sure I don't show up to my reservation under-dressed. :)

I believe the Club 33 is the only one with a dress code but unfortunatley, you or I don't need to worry about that :)

I can barely make it 32 weeks before I start planning our next trip! Not sure if it's your thing, but we love doing "Walk In Walt's Footsteps Tour". Might be a nice way to get back in the groove at DL. Welcome back and have fun.

Seems like we are in the same boat. My August trip will be my first since July 1984. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I remember almost nothing about it, other than staying at a Motel 6 in Fullerton.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! I really appreciate your help. I will check out the guide and pop back here if I can't find an answer to something.

You'll find lots of helpful information in this thread: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets. (Most of this info is up to date.)
Excellent guide! And extremely helpful. I'm even more excited then I was before!

Thought of a couple more:
with the refurb of Space Mountain, does it go upside down? That's a no-no for me. ; )
Thinking of staying at the DLH, but as the guide mentioned, it appears to be the longest walk to the parks. True? Not sure I can afford the GCH. Paradise Pier seems fairly far away too. Walking isn't an issue for me. Just curious.

and a couple more questions:
I'm still a smoker (please don't hate me). I also always follow the rules and use the designated smoking areas at WDW. I assume these exist at DLR as well?

Is the monorail more of a ride than transportation, or can it be used to enter the parks?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter