It's been 32 years!

Excellent guide! And extremely helpful. I'm even more excited then I was before!

Thought of a couple more:
with the refurb of Space Mountain, does it go upside down? That's a no-no for me. ; )

The only ride at DLR that goes upside down is California Screamin', so no worries about Space!

The whole surrounding area has dramatically changed, too. There are plenty of good signs everywhere to guide you. Make sure you follow the signs for Hotel parking and you'll be fine.

I remember parking where DCA is, too. I actually miss parking there, but I do love the new park.

and a couple more questions:
I'm still a smoker (please don't hate me). I also always follow the rules and use the designated smoking areas at WDW. I assume these exist at DLR as well?

Is the monorail more of a ride than transportation, or can it be used to enter the parks?

The maps show the smoking areas and most CMs can point them out to you as well.

The monorail is more of a ride, stopping at DTD on the western end and in Tomorrowland in DL. It makes no stops in DCA. You can board the monorail in DTD (you will have to show your ticket) to go into DL. The monorail will drop you off at the Tomorrowland station. Be aware that the monorail doesn't always run if the weather is very warm (no a/c in the main cars). It doesn't always run first thing in the morning. And it stops running for a short time before and after fireworks.

As always, thank you all for the replies. You've all been extremely helpful, and thanks for making this WDW vet feel at home.
I've been wandering around this forum and it's stirred up some more questions.

I've been reading a lot about hot cocoa and coffee during the fireworks. Does it really get that chilly out there at night?
I saw Dole Whips mentioned. Where are they???!!
This is going to be a solo trip. Any tips about that? Are there single rider lines at DLR?
Can I get things shipped back to my hotel room?

I'm also interested to see how this MaxPass concept plays out. Good to know I'll always need my park ticket with me.

I did a solo trip in September 2016, and it was awesome! My main tip would be: Do not feel self-conscious about being there alone. No need to feel weird when you tell the CM's "only one" when they ask how many are riding.

I did not do any table service meals, so I can't comment on that aspect. But solo trips are great. You can go at your own pace, do what you want when you want.

As always, thank you all for the replies. You've all been extremely helpful, and thanks for making this WDW vet feel at home.
I've been wandering around this forum and it's stirred up some more questions.

I've been reading a lot about hot cocoa and coffee during the fireworks. Does it really get that chilly out there at night?

It can during the spring/winter/fall. I usually have a sweatshirt or jacket with me for when the sun goes down.

I saw Dole Whips mentioned. Where are they???!!

They're at the entrance to the Tiki Room, and they serve both the plain whip and a float (whip in pineapple juice). If you're planning on doing the Tiki Room, the line is usually MUCH shorter on the inside of the queue area than outside. I believe you can also get Dole Whip at the coffee shop at the DLH, where you can get it with rum.

This is going to be a solo trip. Any tips about that? Are there single rider lines at DLR?
For certain rides, there are. The SR line seems to be most effective on Indiana Jones, Radiator Springs Racers, and Matterhorn (although now that it has FP, this may not be true any more). I'd mostly just use FP, though, except for RSR. Save those FPs for Guardians of the Galaxy if you're planning on riding that one.

Can I get things shipped back to my hotel room?
Yes, if you're staying onsite. No if you're offsite, although certain locations will allow you to check packages for later pickup (google "Disneyland package check service" for locations).

...I've been reading a lot about hot cocoa and coffee during the fireworks. Does it really get that chilly out there at night?
I saw Dole Whips mentioned. Where are they???!!...
I'm also interested to see how this MaxPass concept plays out. Good to know I'll always need my park ticket with me.

The temps can drop rather quickly once the sun goes down. And if you've been inactive for a while waiting for a show or parade, you'll feel that drop more than if you had been walking from ride to ride. And lots of guests wear shorts year round. So, while the actual temperature numbers may not look that low, it can feel chilly at DLR (especially if you are near the water by Paradise Bay, Grizzly Peak, or the ROA). And who doesn't need an excuse for hot cocoa or a coffee beverage? Add fireworks and it can be magical!

Take your Dole Whip inside the Tiki Room while you enjoy the show. You can sit in a/c and have a traditional DL treat. Look for Maynard -- he's one of our favorite CMs there.

Keep up to date on the threads here regarding MaxPass. It started phase one today, and there are sure to be bumps in the road as it continues. The digital/wi-fi portion is supposed to start next month.

Hey all,

Sometime late summer, early fall, I'll be making a trip to DL for the first time in 32 years. I know a lot has changed. I know we parked our car where DCA is located, I think. I have a few questions I'm hoping you can help me with.

I'll be driving in, staying at one of the Disney hotels. I assume there is good signage around the area to get me where I need to go? I was looking at the satellite image on google and I cant tell where I would enter to, for instance, get to the Disneyland Hotel.

If you have any tips on what you consider your "must see first" attractions, I'd love to hear about it.

Does DL/DCA still run on paper FP?

How far out can I make dining reservations? I'd really like to eat at the Blue Bayou, and probably get a dinner package for WOC. This will be a sort of last-minute trip, so I may have trouble with those based on what I've read here.

Thanks for your time and help, everyone!!

FYI, I'm planning on staying 4 or 5 days, so I should have time to see everything I want.

Plenty of signage!

First attractions, depends on what time of day you get there. If you're there at opening I would knock out the biggest line rides to avoid the long lines for them later: Space Mountain, Peter Pan, Star Tours, Indiana Jones, maybe Splash mountain. That way you can take it easy the rest of the day..

Fast Passes still on paper for the time being..

60 days out to make reservations. Depending on the day and restaurant you might still be able to snag reservations the day of. Blue Bayou probably needs to be a couple weeks in advance minimum though I'm thinking..

I've got another one:

Is there valet parking at the Disney hotels, or is it self-parking? Just curious. Not sure how much luggage I'm going to have. Might be nice if I don't have to lug it all the way across a parking lot. ; )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter