It's gonna be an oven, but WE'RE GOING TO WDW in AUGUST!!! Final thoughts

I think a day of non parks is always good. Especially if you don't have an AP. You need a day of downtime, we usually take at least one and your plans sound good!
Totally agree! The last 2 trips the kids enjoyed the down days as much as (if not more truth be told) than the park days. And you are in an amazing location-hop on monorail for lunch or dinner (or bus). The other resorts are soo neat. Or boat over to FW and do the campfire smores there!

OMG you guys, tomorrow is FP+ day

I "think" I have figured out my FP+ wish list...I just hope it works out the way I want. I have a list of the hardest ones to get so I can aim for those first and then hopefully do the rest at a more relaxed pace. I am glad that tomorrow is Saturday because I can take time for this...however...not so glad that I feel like I have to get up at 7am to hopefully get the FP+ that I want. I guess I can maybe go back to bed after doing it? Though chances are slim because I will probably be wired lol

ANYWAY...back you the regularly scheduled programming...trip plans...

Here's the plan for...

Sunday August 13th

This day I have us getting up at 7ish for a quick snack in the room, and then heading to EPCOT for Rope Drop with any luck.

At RD with the masses (or at least the third of them not going to TT or FEA...) I plan to head to Soarin' to see the new film and cross that off the list! As I've said..I'm such a ride wimp that even this makes me a bit nauseous. But I know that, at least with the old Soarin', anytime I started feeling queasy I just had to close my eyes. I hope it's the same with this. Have they just changed the film? Or have they changed the seating etc too? I hope that the seats etc, move the same amount and it's just a different movie...

After Soarin' hoping to ride SB on whatever is nearby...and hopefully has little lineups - the Land, and maybe Figment or Nemo.

My FP wish list for this day is:

Frozen Ever After
Character Spot...and...

Still torn about the third one. I love Figment, but I don't think it usually requires an FP+. Maybe do Soarin' again with FP+ so we get to do it twice?

After the morning at Epcot, we'll see how we feel. If we still have energy left, we'll do some wandering through WS. Perhaps a snack there.

Then...

I'm hoping to walk over to the BC for some Beaches n Cream!! I could not get an ADR here, but I'm actually not that sad about it because I don't really know for sure what time we'll be ready to head over, or if we'll want an actual meal or just dessert.

I'm thinking perhaps we'll have a late morning snack at Epcot - of which I know there are plenty to choose from..and the School bread is a must try for me :)

And then...by the time we get to BC maybe we'll just want dessert. You can get that without an ADR can't you and just sit outside with it? That's what I'm hoping...

We shall see. I guess there is that other new ice cream place at the Boardwalk to try too right if BC is too crowded etc?

After that, I hope to head back to the CR for a bit of a rest and then...if it works with your plans @chunkymonkey perhaps we can head over to the Poly and hang with you guys at Trader Sam's or something? or just at the Poly if that works...we'll see how the timing goes!

I don't really have any evening plans this day...I'm sure we'll think of something if we aren't too tired/hot/lazy! There's always night time campfires all over which I wouldn't mind checking out too!

At RD with the masses (or at least the third of them not going to TT or FEA...) I plan to head to Soarin' to see the new film and cross that off the list! As I've said..I'm such a ride wimp that even this makes me a bit nauseous. But I know that, at least with the old Soarin', anytime I started feeling queasy I just had to close my eyes. I hope it's the same with this. Have they just changed the film? Or have they changed the seating etc too? I hope that the seats etc, move the same amount and it's just a different movie...

The new Soarin' just has a new theater (so more people can ride at a time!) and the seats move the same - the movie is completely new though. It's quite awesome! I would definitely try to sit in a center section because that lessens the distortion and I think you may feel better during the ride that way.

After that, I hope to head back to the CR for a bit of a rest and then...if it works with your plans @chunkymonkey perhaps we can head over to the Poly and hang with you guys at Trader Sam's or something? or just at the Poly if that works...we'll see how the timing goes!

Yes! Sounds like a plan! We have dinner at BoG at 4pm so I'm assuming we'll be done around 5:30 or 6. We'll probably head back for a quick rest and then do whatever nighttime show is on. Maybe HEA if you're interested :)

I get motion sick pretty easily (so I'd actually never even tried Soarin' back when it was Soarin' Over California) and I only had a couple of spots in the new film where I had to close my eyes. I found I got a little swimmy on the initial "ascent" if you will, and also at the end of the China scene, but it was mostly fine and a great ride for me! I second the suggestion about asking to sit in the middle section.

Still torn about the third one. I love Figment, but I don't think it usually requires an FP+. Maybe do Soarin' again with FP+ so we get to do it twice?

I do believe that Soarin' and Frozen are both still Tier 1 FPs, so I don't think you'll be able to get both in one day. Hard to decide on FP from the Tier 2 selection at Epcot. If you like Spaceship Earth that's what I always get, along with Character Spot.

I'm hoping to walk over to the BC for some Beaches n Cream!! I could not get an ADR here, but I'm actually not that sad about it because I don't really know for sure what time we'll be ready to head over, or if we'll want an actual meal or just dessert.

I think Beaches and Cream has a quick service counter with a limited ice cream menu. But I've also heard of people getting in without an ADR with only a 15-30 minute wait. So hopefully you won't have trouble here!

so I'm assuming we'll be done around 5:30 or 6. We'll probably head back for a quick rest and then do whatever nighttime show is on. Maybe HEA if you're interested :)

This sounds perfect. Closer to the day we can exchange cell #'s so it will be easier to get in touch..I don't think the DIS works well on my phone and I get killed on data in the US! We will see how tired we are if we are up to going back into the park for HEA but we can certainly meet up and hang with you either way.

I second the suggestion about asking to sit in the middle section.

Good idea, I will have to remember that!

If you like Spaceship Earth that's what I always get, along with Character Spot

I do like SE...does it usually need FP+ though? I guess it can't hurt to get one.

I think Beaches and Cream has a quick service counter with a limited ice cream menu.

Yeah this sounds like a good plan.

I do like SE...does it usually need FP+ though? I guess it can't hurt to get one.

We always get one. I think the line can get a little long throughout the day.

I don't think it's really especially needed most of the time, maybe mid afternoon, but I find it usually saves as much time or more than the other tier 2 rides. So it doesn't hurt. And you may be able to score a 4th FP for something like Soarin' once those are gone. We got FP for Soarin' after supper time on our trip.

FP day has come and gone! I got online about 8am and was in a bit of a frenzy. I wanted to book our AK FP+ first because of course, Pandora. And then after that, Epcot because of Frozen...

I find the system a bit strange how it just picks random times for you to start with ...but anyway. I eventually got mostly what I want. A couple of the days I was in such a hurry I booked wrong things for wrong parks...but then once I calmed down I was able to go back in and switch them.

There are a couple of places where my FP+ that I could get were a little different than what I was hoping for, so I will probably try to change those up a bit. Also, I found the FP+ system for shows is a bit wonky and wouldn't always work with what I wanted to do...But such is life lol.

Now I am going to go back into my spreadsheet and put in actual times for the FP+ that I got and see how it looks again...

And of course...still trying for that O'hana dinner lol

Good luck with the changes you're hoping to make! Glad for the most part things worked out ok on the FP front. We're nearing our FP day too!

OK so here's the part where I feel like I need to start tinkering with plans already made lol.

I'm starting to second guess my decision to have us going to the Wave buffet at the CR for brunch on our non parks day. I started thinking...maybe we should try to fit in some kind of character brunch instead at one of the other resorts? Also..I do love buffets...but here's the thing...the older I get, I am becoming more and more of a serious germaphobe. The buffet thing kinda freaks me out. I mean I always bring sanitizer and clean my hands after sharing buffet serving utensils and all...but I am so paranoid about picking up some kind of virus that I'm wondering if maybe something else might be better for this day. Plus, on our non parks day, we'd actually have time to go to another resort...and we don't have any character ADR's planned...so...

BUT on the other side...I have heard good things about the food at the Wave...and we are staying at the CR after all, so it would be very easy to just do that...BUT.....

There's also...O'Hana with characters...(who knows if I'd get an ADR...but..)
Or maybe Cape May or...

Any other ideas for non park character meals at resorts etc that are NOT buffets that I might actually get an ADR for?

Would love to hear thoughts...

Any other ideas for non park character meals at resorts etc that are NOT buffets that I might actually get an ADR for?

I think all the character meals are buffets, there isn't one that comes to mind that isn't a buffet. Although O'Hana is a "buffet at your table". You could do 1900 Park Fare, they have an omelette station where a chef makes you an omelette so in that case you wouldn't have to touch other serving utensils and such.

The only character meal I can think of that wouldn't be a buffet (other than Ohana being served family style as mentioned) would be the new character breakfast at Trattoria al Forno, but you'd probably have to do some stalking to get an ADR. If you were interested in doing it you could always set a reservation finder request for it and change to that if a reservation came up. I also know that for allergies if you're worried about cross-contamination the chef will usually bring you safe food from out back of the restaurant, so maybe they would be willing to do the same for you if you requested it at buffet? Not sure if you'd find it worth it to ask on that one.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming....plans for:

Monday August 14th

I've got this day as a solid MK day for us. I mean, I can never get enough of that place, so I decided even though we have hoppers...so this may change...but I think one day with no hopping might also be good. I think we'll still use it enough to get our money's worth...and we HAVE to take advantage of the fact that with staying at the CR...it will be so easy to go to MK then go back to the CR for a break...and then so easily just go back to MK again...I think we will really like that...and feel so special being able to walk to a park...

ANYWAY...so yes, if we got to bed at a decent time the night before, hoping to hit RD at MK. on this day.

At RD I am hoping to hit probably Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion and then maybe a couple of Fantasyland rides before it gets too busy. Maybe WTP or my fave PP or whatever else looks appealing and not too busy.

At 10:25 we have an ADR for the BOG breakfast. I've heard mixed reviews about the food and the value of this meal, but I can't pass up another chance to be in the castle. I just love it for the atmosphere.

Then...I got an FP+ at 11:15-12:15 for 7DMT - wondering if I will have enough time after breakfast to make this? Do you guys think I should try to push this back a bit? I don't know if breakfast will take that long...but I don't want to rush too much either. The thing I don't like about FP+ though is when you have like 20 minutes to kill before it...it's like not really enough time to do anything but too much extra time to just stand around and wait without feeling like you're wasting your time...know what I mean? So not too sure what to do about this one. I may try to push it to 11:30-12:30.

After that, we will take stock of how the heat is affecting us and how we feel. Maybe stroll Main St. and the shops and then head out and back to the CR for a break.

Then we'll have some pool time, maybe a snack/late lunch there. Hope to get a treadmill run in as well.

I haven't planned a dinner yet for this night. I was considering the options...maybe QS at the CR...or something back in MK ...or after reading some great reviews of the Plaza..I was going to look into dinner there...do they DO dinner there? I will have to look that up.

Then I have FP+ for Buzz and the TL Speedway...those may have to be shifted later if we get a dinner ADR...so still deciding about that. And then we'll see what else we have time for. Hopefully some PM rides and maybe COP or something.

Not sure how late we will last on this night...I hate leaving at the end of the night with the masses....so we'll probably try to get out before fireworks...we shall see.

Hey Kathy! I'm only up to your 1st full day plans but I want to at least get in here! First of all I'm going to finish reading soon so I can compare our plans for the days we overlap :goodvibes I know we won't be at AK on the 10th but we still have the 11th and 12th!
Next, I'm so, so sorry for all that's happened with your ex and that things haven't gone well with your son. I can only imagine how tough that's been. I respect all you've done for you and DD since then. My sister has 3 boys-13, 9, and 6. Her husband left her a couple years ago. She moved from NY to Georgia to start over and its been extremely tough, she's come close to giving up a few times, but she's made it and I have so much respect for her (and you!).

Yeah...brave or...stupid lol..I know it will be crazy hot..hence the title...but hopefully will be ok if I build in lots of breaks. I am actually thinking of revisiting my whole plan for the time and trying reduce the amount I hope to accomplish each day...that way..it won't feel like a let down if it's too hot and we don't get to everything...and anything we do get to do that isn't planned will just seem like a bonus?
We've gone the last 3 years in Aug. and yup, no sugar coating it - it's HOT :scared: Totally doable though as long as you're realistic about what you personally can handle. We do typically get less done during August and for us it's ok, but it doesn't mean everyone does less. I think it's good to assume you might not get everything done you want and as you said, consider it a bonus if you get more done than you think :thumbsup2

n other news, we are moved into our new house that is my own. I think this is a big step to "moving on" thought it's kind of still a weird limbo because we don't have a final settlement and agreement in terms of kids or finances yet.
OK since I'm not totally caught up I don't know if you've gotten any farther with agreements on the kids or finances, but congrats on the house! It must feel great. My sister recently was able to buy a new car which she desperately needed, and she said it felt amazing to be able to buy one on her own.

Then...we have a BOG ADR at MK for 7:20pm! I am SO excited about this. I have been to the BOG lunch but never dinner. Also, since we aren't planning any actual character meals on this trip, I'm hoping we can get at least a picture with the Beast here.
BOG is one of our favorite TS restaurants! You should definitely get to see Beast when you're there, although they do say be prepared for him to possibly not be there since no character is ever guaranteed. I think in the years since it's opened I've heard one, maybe two instances where he hasn't been able to make it :)

At RD with the masses (or at least the third of them not going to TT or FEA...) I plan to head to Soarin' to see the new film and cross that off the list!

I'm thinking perhaps we'll have a late morning snack at Epcot - of which I know there are plenty to choose from..and the School bread is a must try for me
This is our Epcot day too! Have a PPO at Garden Grill so we will hit Soarin right away. No one in my family is interested in FEA so that made it easier. Maybe we will see you in the Land pavillion! We have FP for TT 9:55, SE 11:10 and Character spot 12:10. Somewhere in there prob do the Disney Visa photo too. I expect we might be hungry after the CS photo, so head to WS for lunch....
I don't have evening plans for this day-know we will head to resort to cool off in afternoon. Will see what is left for later day FP in whatever park. or even Illuminations FP if any available. I have never tried School bread-the lefse always is calling my name (usually after I hit Mexico for a blood orange margarita:))

And yay! to new house!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter