Its my dream to visit one day

I am dying to go to Disneyland someday in my moms eyes its jyst a glorified museum but I dont care Walt Disney is my hero I want to walk where he did see in person his original vision I know things will be different after covid19
Welcome to the DLR Board, Wendy! This is a very nice dream to have! Read through this classic thread: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets. That should give you a pretty good idea of what the parks were like before the closure. Keep watching this board to see what happens when DLR reopens! :)

You will absolutely love it! And since Walt is your hero, make sure to do the fascinating “Walk in Walt’s Footsteps” tour!

For me, there is a certain air about the original park. Even though it has been changed drastically and much of Walts original features have been bulldozed for retail space, it still evokes Disney like no other park can - including all its little faults.
You wont be sorry you made the trip!

If I book a hotel for 5 days is there enough to do I only ask because it will be cross country flight for me and I dont drive so it will only be Disney

Last edited:
If I book a hotel for 5 days is there enough to do I only ask because it will be cross country flight for me and I dont drive so it will only be Disney

We have no issues staying busy on a 5 day trip. And coming across country, I would actually prefer it. Be aware that 5-day is the longest ticket you can buy at the moment.

It sounds like you would also really enjoy the Walt Disney Family museum in San Francisco. We have not been, but it's on our list. You can fly into SFO or OAK and spend a day there. Then there are relatively inexpensive commuter flights from SFO and OAK to John Wayne/SNA. Checkout Southwest or Alaska Air for those. On your return East, you may have to fly out of LAX.

If you don't mind spoilers there are walk-throughs of the Disney Family Museum on Youtube, to see if you are interested. Fresh Baked has a good one that comes to mind. Good luck!

I think that will be plenty of time if you take your time, but do explore other parts of Southern California while you're there! Studio tours, the beach, really good Mexican food, etc...

And I agree with @SeaDis, if you're a deep deep Walt Disney fan, check out the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco. That's gotta be one of the most densely packed museums about Walt Disney... ever. It's a quick $49 one-way flight to SF from the LA area, even consider a drive along highway 1 (Pacific coast) on the return (or fly home from SF)

If you don't drive, consider Uber or Lyft. They're an easy and convenient way to get around So Cal. It can get pricy if you want to go 'long distance' so be sure to check the fare first. For example, from DL to Universal Hollywood can range up to $100.00 round trip.

But honestly, we do 6 days (5 park days) and never leave the property. Plenty to do and see.

If you don't drive, consider Uber or Lyft. They're an easy and convenient way to get around So Cal. It can get pricy if you want to go 'long distance' so be sure to check the fare first. For example, from DL to Universal Hollywood can range up to $100.00 round trip.

But honestly, we do 6 days (5 park days) and never leave the property. Plenty to do and see.

Thank you

We should have been leaving DL tomorrow morning (glares and grrrrrr's at covid 19) but that trip we had scheduled was for 9 days all but one was on Disneyland property. If you have the means and time do whatever you feel is best for you.

in my moms eyes its jyst a glorified museum
Interesting take on Disneyland.

In my eyes there is nothing wrong with a museum. To the contrary; a museum is a wonderful place. A "glorified" museum? Even better! In my eyes there are many aspects of Disneyland that I wish were treated like a museum.

I hope you get to Disneyland someday!

For me, there is a certain air about the original park. Even though it has been changed drastically and much of Walts original features have been bulldozed for retail space,
To be fair though, there have also been a lot of improvements to the park since Walt’s day. And those improvements are still part of Walt’s vision in a way because the need to keep updating and working on Disneyland was part of his original vision.

In my eyes there is nothing wrong with a museum. To the contrary; a museum is a wonderful place. A "glorified" museum? Even better! In my eyes there are many aspects of Disneyland that I wish were treated like a museum.

I had the same thought! I don’t think “glorified museum” is really an accurate description of Disneyland at all. But even if it was... don’t people enjoy going to museums!?

Just 'cuz I'm out of work, sitting at home with nothin' to do...

The first definition of "glorify" is, "to make glorious by bestowing honor, praise, or admiration"
Definition 3 b, "to cause to be or seem to be better than the actual condition"

I suspect Wendy1985's mom is using 3b - it's often used that way. But using the first means Disneyland a museum bestowed with honor, praise, and admiration. At least it sure is here in DIS. I kinda wish the Disney Company had kept many of the things I loved about Disneyland when I first started going there and when I was working there; the Skyway, the People Mover, the original submarines, Country Bears, Carousel of Progress (the original version). But I do love many of the newer additions to the park.

When Walt said DL is not a museum, I dont think his vision included abandoning attractions and just leaving them to gather dust. He meant that they would keeping improving the park and replace things with even better things.

I thought that was a funny take...because I love museums, and yes I do things like look for the half painted red and white light bulb on Main Street, because there’s a quirky historical story to it.

Just 'cuz I'm out of work, sitting at home with nothin' to do...

The first definition of "glorify" is, "to make glorious by bestowing honor, praise, or admiration"
Definition 3 b, "to cause to be or seem to be better than the actual condition"

I suspect Wendy1985's mom is using 3b - it's often used that way. But using the first means Disneyland a museum bestowed with honor, praise, and admiration. At least it sure is here in DIS. I kinda wish the Disney Company had kept many of the things I loved about Disneyland when I first started going there and when I was working there; the Skyway, the People Mover, the original submarines, Country Bears, Carousel of Progress (the original version). But I do love many of the newer additions to the park.

I want the PeopleMover back as well as the Skyway, but I sort of get that this is the trade off in having a dynamic park... otherwise, we wouldn’t have things like the Cars Land area, Soarin’, and other new classics.

I work in oncology and we’ve often had these discussions that cancer is the trade off for genetic diversity as a species. Kind of a dark topic, but it’s the only example that comes to mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter