It's Not Always Pixie Dust and that's ok - our 4-day Wonder, Feb. 2019 - all done!

NASSAU DAY

Some time during the night the seas lay down a bit. There was still a good chop, but I was either used to it or it didn’t affect us much.

We had 9:15 reservations to the Princess Meet and Greet. I thought this was a ticketed event but they are working off a simple list now where you give them your stateroom number. DGS still loves the princesses. We gave DN the option to hang with DH and go to breakfast, but he chose to go to the meet and greet. On the previous cruise it was DH, DN and me. He’s really reserved and never felt comfortable with the characters. This trip he got to experience more interaction, once removed, as DGS took the lead. The event was pretty standard. You just got in line whenever you showed up and someone checked your cabin number.

Afterwards, we managed to find our crew out on the balcony aft of Cabanas. I handed off the boys and had standard buffet breakfast fare. It was good. Oh wait. Mickey Waffles. Those things are awful. So disappointing but can check that off my bucket list. Pretty sure they were near the top. Now I have room for spending the night in an ice cave – at the bottom of a very long list.

Everybody had something they wanted to do and I took the boys to the club. Since The Millennials were going ashore for a couple of hours, I was the one who was going to get a text when they were ready to leave the club. I went up to Cove Café and enjoyed a Chai Latte. But I could just feel the little but of energy I had draining out of me. I hated to waste ship time taking a nap but eventually went down to the room to lie down. A problem was the DCL app is not good at pushing message notifications through. So I took a series of 15 minute naps. I kept thinking the boys must be loving the club as their time there approached 2 hours. Ironically, when the text came it chimed on the in-room phone. So I could have taken a proper nap.

The boys confronted me at the club entrance asking why I had left the so long. Apparently they missed my instruction to have someone call me when they were ready to be picked up. Also apparently they were bored silly and swore they would not return for one minute. Four cruises, same results every cruise. Our kids hate the club. I’m not sure what my group is missing.

It rained on and off for the rest of the day. DS and DSS took the boys on the slides and got them lunch. I had a small sandwich from Daisy Delights. With the early dinner seating and after a full breakfast, there’s just not enough appetite to try all the lunch offerings so I try to be super selective. That’s one of the reasons I would recommend late seating. We met up with each other at various times and places then ended up watching Lion King on Funnel Vision. I was finding that with a group of 8, I was having a hard time relaxing. I’m a strong introvert and need significant cave time to be able to let go and truly relax. The time with family more than made up for cave time.

We headed back to the rooms for showers around 4:00. I placed a room service order for two each of cookies, fruit, and cheese and crackers. The boys thought that was pretty cool. We used the balcony as a gathering place as everyone got ready for dinner. There were a couple of non-exciting dock runners but no one was in real jeopardy of being left behind. Then it started to rain again.

Stay tuned for details on Tiana’s Place and Frozen Ever After.

We had early seating for dinner. When we knew today would be cool and rainy, I suggested we all wear nice street clothes onto the ship so we didn’t have to change for dinner. That allowed us to stay on deck for a long time before coming back to the room for a few minutes and then head to dinner. By this time, the ship was starting to rock and roll. I would have loved to watch the harbor pilot maneuver off the ship. (Every time a ship approaches or leaves a port, a harbor pilot is on board. A pilot boat will meet the ship to board the pilot onto the ship, and trail the ship out of the harbor to retrieve the pilot. I know in Charleston, SC, being a harbor pilot is a proud tradition passed down through generations.) Watching the pilot coming and going is a fun way to pass time. We could see the boat starting to scooch up to the Wonder, but weren’t in a good place to see the actual transfer.

I’ll tell the end of the story at the beginning. This night ended up having, according to one cast member, over 20 foot swells. Our Palo server later said, because of the location of Palo – top and aft, they had half of the restaurant CMs get sick, and several wipe outs. During the evening, we were routed around two messes on the floors of public areas. So all of this was beginning as we made our way to dinner.

Our first night was Animator’s Palate, which worked out well since it my least favorite menu. Everything about the actual meal was a hot (actually, cool) mess. We loved watching the slow progress of the “show” as the meal developed. I think this is one of those restaurants where, if you can resist, don’t go in knowing all the details. DH and I knew, but the delight of everyone else at the table was visible. It’s a great way for you to enjoy a meal and the kids are entertained – kudos to DCL! Our nephew is the kid who gets lost, distracted and forgetful on his way across an open room to pick up a sock. But he was the first to name almost every character developed. (He was also the one to recognize that Stitch’s handler was the CM who, sans wig and makeup, played Christoph in Frozen.) Our table was against a back wall so we weren’t in the best position for the live interaction, but the kids didn’t notice a difference.

The meal. I ordered the pursettes. The dish came to the table cool, from inside to outside, it was at best, room temperature. Think of cheese ravioli where the cheese is not deliciously warm. Then I had the soup – good flavor, room temp which felt cool. The potato side on the entrée was actually beginning to harden. We aren’t a family to pick things apart (that’s just me!) or complain. I honestly don’t know how others rated their meals, but they didn’t compliment anything. DD left before the entree to go back to the room, not feeling well.

The service was awkward. DS and DSS are craft beer drinkers. Our main server did not know the options available; we had to wait for the assistant server for drink orders. That may be normal, but the assistant was busy and there was a significant delay on drinks. Most of the ice melted in the iced tea to colored water. We arrived promptly to the restaurant and, having skipped desserts all around, the meal lasted until after 7:30. By this time the ship was doing some significant rocking. So I figured things were off for this first night.

We split up after dinner with plans to meet at non-saved seats in the theater. I was with MIL. We took 30 minutes to get to the theater – hanging onto chair backs, walls, whatever. When we got to the atrium, it was like crossing no man’s land. I tucked her arm up tightly under mine and we set off, relieved when we arrived safely to the other side. At the theater we met up with DH and the boys. He stayed up at the back of the theater with MIL who did not want to try the stairs, while I went down front with the boys. DS and DSS joined us. The show was Golden Mickeys and we loved it. The boys especially loved it. DGS has been in dance since he was two – in the studio, recitals, Nutcracker and at competitions. But this was probably one of his first shows that included song, dance, acting – and favorite characters. His was mesmerized. I was amazed at the ability of the dancers to perform – never quite sure where the floor was going to be. It’s an incredible cast.

Afterward, it was back to the room for bedtime. Bed was the safest place. There was no wait at the forward, just outside the theater elevators. It was only 2 levels up to our room but stairs are difficult for MIL on a good day. The boys l-o-v-e-d the towel creation and their bunkbeds. When DGS discovered Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and cast on the ceiling, it was the end to a most perfect day. He has the role of Michael at the spring dance recital.

Takeaway: The rainy, cool weather. The high seas. The mediocre meal. I'm still not 100%. The great show. The great embarkation experience. The awe in MIL and the boys' eyes. It was a winning day. I'm glad this is not a 3-day cruise.

P.S. Experienced cruisers, what has been your first night experience with food quality? Do you think they have to prep the food waaay in advance if they expect high seas?
That was a CRAZY night! And of course I decided to be all fancy and wear nice clothes & shoes to the MDR (we had late seating) - that was fun trying to get down the hallway!

It's too bad about your food. We were in Tiana's Place and didn't have any meal temperature issues.

Some time during the night the seas lay down a bit. There was still a good chop, but I was either used to it or it didn’t affect us much.
I think my mom said around 5am it stopped rocking so much.

There were a couple of non-exciting dock runners but no one was in real jeopardy of being left behind. Then it started to rain again.
We ran into those people in the elevator when we headed up to Deck 9 to watch us leave port! The mom thought all aboard was at 4:45, not 4:15. They heard one of the other ships leaving and then checked the time and realized they needed to get back! So they raced through the streets to get there in time!

TIANA’S PLACE

The boys and I were excited to be eating at Tiana’s Place. We watched YouTube videos about the restaurant. In turn, they made MIL watch the movie with them before we left home so she would know the characters and back story.

We were in line when the doors opened. Our table tonight was on the main mid-restaurant aisle. Being up close to see the show better would have been cool, but louder. So this was an ok spot.

We do awesome Shrimp and Grits at my house and we had them recently. I chose the Pepper Pot, Wedge Salad and Prime Rib. Each one was fabulous. The Pepper Pot had lots of bits of seafood in it, with a full flavored broth. The salad was crisp and cold. The beef was seasoned well. The only thing “off” was the potatoes. They come in a molded shape, and I wonder if they are previously frozen. They have that slightly watery (in taste, not texture), not creamy taste of previously frozen. That’s ok, I don’t need the potatoes and the veggies were good. Everyone enjoyed their food across the board. For dessert, I ordered both the beignets AND the bread pudding. Yes, the beignets are delicious, but do not discount the bread pudding. In a different way, this dessert is every bit as good.

Tiana made her way around the restaurant. Just before she got to us, she had to leave to go back to the stage. When she returned to her rounds, she went to the next section of the restaurant. The boys were excited pre-cruise the meet Tiana.

Flashback to our meal in Cinderella’s castle. There was a particular picture I wanted and as I began to tell Princess Cindy what I wanted, she raised her royal arm and gave me the imperial talk to the hand gesture. And I was put in my place and waited until she was ready to interact with me.

So now I wave to get Princess Tiana’s attention, as if she were a simple restaurant owner. She smiled graciously, went to one other table, then casually sauntered back over to us and as if that was her intention the entire time. These princesses get me every time. They all do such a fabulous job of staying in character and being absolutely princess-like. Complete with subtle attitude. I love it!

Unfortunately, the service was once again lacking. Beverage replacements were painfully slow. Food delivery was also slow. I caught our server’s eye as we were waiting for dessert and flashed my impatience. As we were finishing up dessert she came and sat beside me in a chair vacated by one of the boys, and asked if there was a problem with service. I told her yes and waved at the five tables left occupied in the restaurant. We were among the first to arrive and last to leave for two nights. I told her about waiting for beverage service, etc. She said she would insure the service improved and I could feel her seeking to establish rapport. I simply told her I understand how important good service is, that I was sure there’s a reason it is off, and it would not keep me from giving them a top rating at the end of the cruise. It’s like I could feel her relax internally. After that, the service did improve.

The millennials were at the house this weekend and I asked about the service. They also noticed our team was off. DSS said she felt the team was thrown together at the last minute and noted they were only servicing two large tables. If the assistant server knew the beer choices, then she could have made sure those were at hand and not gone off the fetch them each time. There was none of the signature interaction with the boys. It was simply a struggle to get the two tables served. Our server has a lot of experience on DCL and I see where people have complimented her in these forums. So perhaps it was a training situation. I’m at a loss.

Sorry to end on that note but I’m off to church. Will add the happy end to our evening next.

FROZEN

We left dinner with plans again to split up and meet in the theater for Frozen. I let everyone know this would be a full theater and we would hold seats but would not be allowed to save once the theater started to get full. For the second time, we easily got seats on the 8th row, in the left section and on the aisle. These are great seats, and since this section does not fill as quickly as the center section you can claim extra seats without inconveniencing anyone looking for a place so sit – because seats around you remain open for a longer period of time.

The Frozen show is fabulous. Seriously fabulous with incredible voices. I feel like the voice entertainment was selected specifically for roles in this musical, and then assigned roles in the other productions - not because they were second rate in the other productions, but because they were perfectly cast in Frozen. It was in this show that I noticed the magic of Disney sound engineering. You notice that the sound is on the loud side. But it’s not mind piercingly loud. In the middle of Frozen, I realized that there were people around me talking to each other and plenty of kids/babies crying. But the sound system is engineered in such a way that you really don’t notice all the other noise in the room.

The ASL interpreters are at the front right side of the theater. These two ladies were fascinating and talented performers in their own rights. The ASL performance of Let It Go moved me. If I had a hearing impaired child, or was myself impaired, I would have broken down in tears to have the song so beautifully interpreted. These ladies were present at all performances and were beautiful in their art.

After the show I took the boys shopping where DGS picked out a Stitch stuffy. DN eyed a t-shirt but decided to shop on Castaway Cay to see if there was something he preferred in those stores.

I took them up to the room where we spent some time on the balcony. Then DD and I went on a gift delivery outing. I had purchased a 3-pack of Contigo 16 oz water bottles, decorated them with DCL logo decals ordered from Etsy, then used a paint pen to add the boys’ names to their bottle. There happened to be a 6yo boy on our cruise who was on a Make a Wish trip. Some people on our FB group volunteered to do Fish Extender gifts for him. So we made the third bottle for Ryan. He was in the corridor outside his room so we were able to give him the gift in person and greet his mom. Both were precious.

After that DD went up to deck 9 so I could brew some iced tea for the next day. I don’t do soft drinks or the fake tea from the beverage dispensers. Instead, I have my own Nalgene bottle and use the black tea bags and hot water to brew my own tea. We ambled around while the tea “brewed” so I could add some ice to bring the temperature down a little before I put it in the frig for the night.

All my boys were asleep when I returned to the stateroom and I was shortly behind them. Sweet dreams for all.

CASTAWAY CAY!

We woke up to notes on at our doors letting us know the rain and wind were expected to make a showing again today and our water-based excursions were cancelled - specifically the snorkeling excursion where a boat takes you off island, and the stingray interaction. They were also not allowing any hobie cat rentals, kayaks, etc. We were able to snorkel within the lagoon – the regular shore based snorkeling. Of course these excursions were refunded. It’s not often you get a chance to save money on a Disney cruise!

We enjoy the buffet for breakfast – the boys are Mickey Waffle connoisseurs even if I am not. I find the fresh fruit to be very, very good. I also felt the pastries and croissants were better than on the prior cruise. The donuts still look previously frozen but I never tried one. So maybe I shouldn’t be disparaging the donuts. The scrambled eggs aren’t the best, but the omelets are. You just have to be willing to invest the time. I introduced everyone to POG juice and it was always a hit. We seemed to luck out and get tables on the aft deck quite often.

Sailing on a classic ship makes a big difference at Castaway Cay. We ambled off the ship around 10:00 and found good loungers under a tree on the second beach. Several of us snorkeled, the boys played around in the water, and we spent some time walking and shopping. We purchased a couple of pins, hats, refrigerator magnets and a key chain. I was still coughing at night and with the occasional daytime fit. It's pretty exhausting so I took another nap. In a way, I hate to nap on vacations because you're missing vacation stuff. But if you need to nap on vacation, that's what you should do.

DH and I had never been to Serenity Bay so four of us took the tram over for lunch. I’ve never found the food on CC to be anything to write home about, and the meal at Serenity Bay didn’t change that. I had read good things about the “ribeye” steak – it was thin, dry and tough. I had Palo in the near future so no tears. The thing I was the MOST sad about is that the ice cream cones were soft and saggy from all of the humidity. Y’all know what I mean about the sadness.

We sat on the bar deck where we hoped to spend some time. Unfortunately, a gaggle of cigar lovers were whiskey drinking and stogie smoking, and had claimed a table right in the middle of the deck. We tried to move to avoid the smoke but the breeze made sure it went everywhere. We weren’t very mobile with MIL so we caught the tram back to the family beach.

The water was on the cool side and the air was breezy. About 30 minutes playing on the water structure and slide was enough for the boys. I had a surprise in store for the boys so we started to head back to the ship a little before 3:00. Everyone in our group decided to go back at the same time. The cool washcloths and water are always appreciated and a nice touch to welcome you back to the ship. Thank you DCL.

Next up: Splitting up the party – Pirate Night and Palo.

The millennials were at the house this weekend and I asked about the service. They also noticed our team was off. DSS said she felt the team was thrown together at the last minute and noted they were only servicing two large tables. If the assistant server knew the beer choices, then she could have made sure those were at hand and not gone off the fetch them each time. There was none of the signature interaction with the boys. It was simply a struggle to get the two tables served. Our server has a lot of experience on DCL and I see where people have complimented her in these forums. So perhaps it was a training situation. I’m at a loss.
I did notice a bunch of trainees on the ship (but since it was my first time, I don't know if it was an abnormal amount). We had a trainee shadowing our assistant server the last 3 nights; we chatted with him and he said the next cruise he would also be shadowing, and after that he would actually become an assistant server. And our assistant server said, while she's been on the ships before, this was her first cruise on her current contract. Our main server only had 1-2 cruises left on his current contract. So maybe they were gearing up for a changeover?

I did notice a bunch of trainees on the ship (but since it was my first time, I don't know if it was an abnormal amount). We had a trainee shadowing our assistant server the last 3 nights; we chatted with him and he said the next cruise he would also be shadowing, and after that he would actually become an assistant server. And our assistant server said, while she's been on the ships before, this was her first cruise on her current contract. Our main server only had 1-2 cruises left on his current contract. So maybe they were gearing up for a changeover?
The ship is getting ready to go through Panama Canal back to the Pacific. So there's a good chance what you say about switching people out is true. Fatigue on one side- inexperience on the other could describe our service.

After that DD went up to deck 9 so I could brew some iced tea for the next day. I don’t do soft drinks or the fake tea from the beverage dispensers. Instead, I have my own Nalgene bottle and use the black tea bags and hot water to brew my own tea. We ambled around while the tea “brewed” so I could add some ice to bring the temperature down a little before I put it in the frig for the night.

All my boys were asleep when I returned to the stateroom and I was shortly behind them. Sweet dreams for all.

I love all these details... and the tea tip! Some people might like that beverage dispenser stuff, but it does not taste like tea.

INTERMEZZO II – CHARACTER INTERACTIONS

One thing that sets the Disney Cruise experience apart from the parks is access to characters. And it makes sense that characters are even more accessible on the classic ships. For example, there is only one Goofy; and on the classics there are fewer people wanting that interaction.

We found Belle to be to character we kept running into as she wandered the common areas in her blue dress street clothes. She was so sweet with the boys each time as she knelt down next to the 5yo. Both of them were tongue-tied and could not speak a word or answer simple questions. I asked Belle about the books she is currently reading and where the beast was (a book about Ariel, and back at the castle running things) to keep things going. DCL if you’re watching, I should have put Belle down on my comment card. She is awesome. We saw her out quite often.

Stich was hilarious. DGS brought his Stitch stuffy along for the photo op. Stitch commandeered the stuffy, set the stuffy on the floor to take his place, and then proceeded to run off. The handler had to send the boys running after Stitch to get him to come back.

The boys brought their plastic swords with them on Pirate Night to meet Jack Sparrow. Captain Sparrow stopped the proceedings and had the boys do a sword fight right there. Of course everyone clapped – one of the highlights of the trip for the boys.

It was especially sweet watching the princesses interact with the smaller children. Instead of having the child approach the princess, she would walk over and greet the child(ren) and take them by the hand back to the photo position. She interacted for a moment or more. Then, standing or seated as the size of the child warranted, would help the photographer get great photos.

The biggest mistake (my opinion) is seeing the guests who only saw these as photo opportunities – this person here and there, these two, those three, all of us, etc. These are beautiful memories with people who are well-trained to make a memory, not just a photo. Parents please back up and let your kids experience the magic.

On the last night I had to go to Shutters and passed through the Atrium – this was before the Goodbye (forgot exact name) show. There were a lot of characters out and available for photographs with short lines – Goofy, Minnie, Mickey, Stitch, Donald (I think) and more. The boys were back at the room. This would have been an easy opportunity to pick up photos with characters we had missed.

What they did not have out the last night was the photographers with the backdrops for more formal photos. I wanted to get one of DN since most of his photo history is just school pictures. For us, Monday night (#2) would have been the last time since night #3 was all about pirates, and they were not out night #4. Something to keep in mind.

The only opportunity I saw for photos with Anna and Elsa are the free but reservation-required event. Be sure you do online sign up for that soon after your PIF date.

Our Princess Meet and Greet had Cinderella, Ariel and Tiana. I saw Princess Belle out a different time so not sure how that works. Of course they are all listed in the Navigators. So if you have a specific pre-cruise question you can look at the old Navigators.

Bottom line – it much easier to see more characters on a cruise than at the parks. And sometimes - pixie dust happens and a memory is made.

INTERMEZZO II – CHARACTER INTERACTIONS

One thing that sets the Disney Cruise experience apart from the parks is access to characters. And it makes sense that characters are even more accessible on the classic ships. For example, there is only one Goofy; and on the classics there are fewer people wanting that interaction.

We found Belle to be to character we kept running into as she wandered the common areas in her blue dress street clothes. She was so sweet with the boys each time as she knelt down next to the 5yo. Both of them were tongue-tied and could not speak a word or answer simple questions. I asked Belle about the books she is currently reading and where the beast was (a book about Ariel, and back at the castle running things) to keep things going. DCL if you’re watching, I should have put Belle down on my comment card. She is awesome. We saw her out quite often.

Stich was hilarious. DGS brought his Stitch stuffy along for the photo op. Stitch commandeered the stuffy, set the stuffy on the floor to take his place, and then proceeded to run off. The handler had to send the boys running after Stitch to get him to come back.

The boys brought their plastic swords with them on Pirate Night to meet Jack Sparrow. Captain Sparrow stopped the proceedings and had the boys do a sword fight right there. Of course everyone clapped – one of the highlights of the trip for the boys.

It was especially sweet watching the princesses interact with the smaller children. Instead of having the child approach the princess, she would walk over and greet the child(ren) and take them by the hand back to the photo position. She interacted for a moment or more. Then, standing or seated as the size of the child warranted, would help the photographer get great photos.

The biggest mistake (my opinion) is seeing the guests who only saw these as photo opportunities – this person here and there, these two, those three, all of us, etc. These are beautiful memories with people who are well-trained to make a memory, not just a photo. Parents please back up and let your kids experience the magic.

On the last night I had to go to Shutters and passed through the Atrium – this was before the Goodbye (forgot exact name) show. There were a lot of characters out and available for photographs with short lines – Goofy, Minnie, Mickey, Stitch, Donald (I think) and more. The boys were back at the room. This would have been an easy opportunity to pick up photos with characters we had missed.

What they did not have out the last night was the photographers with the backdrops for more formal photos. I wanted to get one of DN since most of his photo history is just school pictures. For us, Monday night (#2) would have been the last time since night #3 was all about pirates, and they were not out night #4. Something to keep in mind.

The only opportunity I saw for photos with Anna and Elsa are the free but reservation-required event. Be sure you do online sign up for that soon after your PIF date.

Our Princess Meet and Greet had Cinderella, Ariel and Tiana. I saw Princess Belle out a different time so not sure how that works. Of course they are all listed in the Navigators. So if you have a specific pre-cruise question you can look at the old Navigators.

Bottom line – it much easier to see more characters on a cruise than at the parks. And sometimes - pixie dust happens and a memory is made.
Love this write up. On our Fantasy cruise last April, my 7 year old had just finished up at BBB and was wearing the yellow fancy Belle dress. We turned a corner and literally ran into Belle in her yellow dress. It was amazing. Then one night ( I missed this) my mother was wandering around with my two kids and Peter Pan showed up and they went off exploring. These things don't always happen but when they do it is amazing.

FIRST UP – PIRATE NIGHT

The boys were looking forward to Pirate Night. I booked the BBB Pirate package (the $49 one) but did not tell them. When we arrived to the stateroom at embarkation, they each had an invitation to a special pirate event. I didn’t know they would get that but jumped on board and said they must have been specially selected.

After arriving back on board from CC, we ran them quickly through a shower and into the pirate costumes. I could only book 3:45 and 4:15 time slots, but when we arrived at 3:45 they took both boys at the same time – which was fabulous because each boy had his own “surprise” experience – thank you BBB! This experience is such a fun treat. The kids have to do things like promise to never take another bath (as a pirate, at least). They get new pirate names; they swear a pirate oath; they get made up to look like pirates complete with whiskers for the boys; and more. Everyone in BBB is in character. Again, Disney for the win. At the end they got swords, eye patches, earrings, a treasure bag, and a document certifying them as true pirates!

After BBB, I took them back to the cabins and turned them over to the landlubber pirates who were eating with them in the MDR. DS took them down to see Captain Jack Sparrow – this is when he had them do the sword fight for everyone (see above re characters).

They said the MDR was a lot of fun, and they got a lot of attention as pirates. Apparently the kids and adults were amazed with the magic show – the main show for the evening. Then all of us met back up for the deck party. The kids were near the front and were lucky enough not to have any adults nudge in front of them (don’t get me started, ok too late) mainly because we formed a barricade around them that you had to be a kid to get past (we let several kids come up with ours). There was a special zone blocked off for kids, but we were slightly outside that area.

The kids loved the show/party. Four of us sat at one of the tables over towards the side and we loved the kids loving the show. Afterwards we all loved the fireworks.

Pirate Night was a huge success and the boys still like to talk about it – especially Mickey’s entrance onto the scene.

The second picture is when DGS took his Pirate Stitch stuffy to meet Pirate Stitch. We tied the bandanna DCL gave us onto our Stitch.

IMG_0071.JPG IMG_0073.JPG

AHHHH… PALO

MIL, DD and I had a 7:30 reservation for Palo. My sweet DH was initially included but he’s pretty much a Bud Lite and t-shirt kind of guy and he decided he’d rather do Pirate Night with the boys. I was so sad I took his $ portion of the meal and got a nice bottle of wine :teeth:

This was truly a lovely experience. Let’s start.

Antipasti – The antipasti plate was a perfect start – procuitto, bresaola, parmesan reggiano, marinated olives – there were several other selections but we stopped with those.

Starters – DD and I chose the Fritto de Calimari e Gamberi – deep fried shrimp and calamari. This was a really big appetizer with a great taste. DD laughed at me and told me that I was not allowed to ask for cocktail sauce and had to eat as served with the traditional Italian marinara dipping sauce. The batter was light – towards a tempura vs. heavily breaded, both tasted really fresh. If you’re into sharing, this is large enough to share with someone – as long as they get something to share with you! MIL had the Gnocchi and said it was good – but I think she would have preferred the White Bean Soup.

Entrées – DD got the Pappardelle. It must have been really good as she did not offer to share – which I have just realized as I look back over the menu. MIL had the Sea Scallops – I had a bite, oh so good. I surprised myself. Given I had shrimp as an appetizer, there’s about a 99% chance I would order the Osso Bucco or Lamb as an entrée. But I had heard a description of the Dover Sole on a YouTube vlog and I went with that – even though I’m not a big fan of fish.

The fish is brought to the table as cooked bone-in with all the pan juices. It’s a presentation as the server skillfully fillets the fish and replates it, two perfect pieces and not a bone in sight. The taste is so delicate. I truly recommend this dish – especially if you want something light. It was a nice follow-up to the heavy appetizer.

Dessert – DD went with Tiramisu. MIL had the Amaretto Souffle and I had the Chocolate Souffle. We were at a somewhat large table and DD was opposite me so I could not sneak a bite of her dish and, once again, she did not offer. I love, love, love the chocolate soufflé. I think because I’m not a big fan of heavy chocolate items (I eat around the chips in chocolate chip cookies) and this is such a light chocolate taste. I did have a taste of the MIL’s dish and – I could be persuaded.

If we ever go on a 7-day DCL cruise I would definitely eat here 2-3 times. I still have not tried the Brunch because given one time to eat at Palo, I prefer the traditional 4-course gourmet meal progression. I’d love to do two dinners and one brunch. The service was perfection. The right blend of friendly and well-timed. We took about 2 hours for the meal and left in good time to meet up with others at the deck party.

For first-time cruisers on a 3- or 4-day cruise with children, I’d have to say skip Palo on your first cruise and enjoy the MDRs with the kids – it’s pretty much what it’s all about. We booked Palo on Pirate Night because I knew in advance that it’s on CC day and I didn’t want to miss Tritons or Tiana’s Place. So it’s kind of like you have to go one time to know what you’re willing to miss. On a 7-night, heck yeah, go for

Loving your review so far! We are on the 13 night EBTA and i have one palo brunch and one palo dinner booked, but was thinking of giving up the dinner! maybe i'll keep it now!

AHHHH… PALO

MIL, DD and I had a 7:30 reservation for Palo. My sweet DH was initially included but he’s pretty much a Bud Lite and t-shirt kind of guy and he decided he’d rather do Pirate Night with the boys. I was so sad I took his $ portion of the meal and got a nice bottle of wine :teeth:

This was truly a lovely experience. Let’s start.

Antipasti – The antipasti plate was a perfect start – procuitto, bresaola, parmesan reggiano, marinated olives – there were several other selections but we stopped with those.

Starters – DD and I chose the Fritto de Calimari e Gamberi – deep fried shrimp and calamari. This was a really big appetizer with a great taste. DD laughed at me and told me that I was not allowed to ask for cocktail sauce and had to eat as served with the traditional Italian marinara dipping sauce. The batter was light – towards a tempura vs. heavily breaded, both tasted really fresh. If you’re into sharing, this is large enough to share with someone – as long as they get something to share with you! MIL had the Gnocchi and said it was good – but I think she would have preferred the White Bean Soup.

Entrées – DD got the Pappardelle. It must have been really good as she did not offer to share – which I have just realized as I look back over the menu. MIL had the Sea Scallops – I had a bite, oh so good. I surprised myself. Given I had shrimp as an appetizer, there’s about a 99% chance I would order the Osso Bucco or Lamb as an entrée. But I had heard a description of the Dover Sole on a YouTube vlog and I went with that – even though I’m not a big fan of fish.

The fish is brought to the table as cooked bone-in with all the pan juices. It’s a presentation as the server skillfully fillets the fish and replates it, two perfect pieces and not a bone in sight. The taste is so delicate. I truly recommend this dish – especially if you want something light. It was a nice follow-up to the heavy appetizer.

Dessert – DD went with Tiramisu. MIL had the Amaretto Souffle and I had the Chocolate Souffle. We were at a somewhat large table and DD was opposite me so I could not sneak a bite of her dish and, once again, she did not offer. I love, love, love the chocolate soufflé. I think because I’m not a big fan of heavy chocolate items (I eat around the chips in chocolate chip cookies) and this is such a light chocolate taste. I did have a taste of the MIL’s dish and – I could be persuaded.

If we ever go on a 7-day DCL cruise I would definitely eat here 2-3 times. I still have not tried the Brunch because given one time to eat at Palo, I prefer the traditional 4-course gourmet meal progression. I’d love to do two dinners and one brunch. The service was perfection. The right blend of friendly and well-timed. We took about 2 hours for the meal and left in good time to meet up with others at the deck party.

For first-time cruisers on a 3- or 4-day cruise with children, I’d have to say skip Palo on your first cruise and enjoy the MDRs with the kids – it’s pretty much what it’s all about. We booked Palo on Pirate Night because I knew in advance that it’s on CC day and I didn’t want to miss Tritons or Tiana’s Place. So it’s kind of like you have to go one time to know what you’re willing to miss. On a 7-night, heck yeah, go for
Ok, I think we actually entered Palo right after you guys! I vaguely remember a group of 3 ladies checking in before us and how one's husband wasn't coming after all. I was in one of the new Disney dresses: black with colored dots and sequins at the bottom and matching ears.

But I agree - Palo is DELICIOUS! I definitely want to try the brunch (and I think you are allowed to book that one and a dinner on the same cruise). I think the Pappardelle was the best dish I have ever eaten, period!

Loving your review so far! We are on the 13 night EBTA and i have one palo brunch and one palo dinner booked, but was thinking of giving up the dinner! maybe i'll keep it now!
Do keep them both. I think they will be different experiences. When I look at the menus, it seems that the dinner offerings were more complicated and sophisticated.

Ok, I think we actually entered Palo right after you guys! I vaguely remember a group of 3 ladies checking in before us and how one's husband wasn't coming after all. I was in one of the new Disney dresses: black with colored dots and sequins at the bottom and matching ears.

But I agree - Palo is DELICIOUS! I definitely want to try the brunch (and I think you are allowed to book that one and a dinner on the same cruise). I think the Pappardelle was the best dish I have ever eaten, period!
That was us! I remember you - loved the dress and the ooh-la-la sparkles. Very Disney chic. Also remember your name is Lesley - I'm Leslie! Well, I wouldn't have remembered if you didn't put it all together and have your name as your user name. But now that I see that, I remember it. Did the dining room seem half full to you?

That was us! I remember you - loved the dress and the ooh-la-la sparkles. Very Disney chic. Also remember your name is Lesley - I'm Leslie! Well, I wouldn't have remembered if you didn't put it all together and have your name as your user name. But now that I see that, I remember it. Did the dining room seem half full to you?
It did feel pretty empty! Though that was my first time at Palo, so I didn't know what to expect. I guess plenty of people decided to go to Pirates night instead! But my mom did notice a group of young ladies who were sat near us and they were performers in the stage shows (including the lady who sang Circle of Life). I guess they had the night off so they decided to get a fancy meal!

Hey. I had posted something that was not related to our cruise experience but had a lot of opinion in it. I decided it's not something I want to be part of the trip report so I removed it. Will finish up the rest of the report soon!

Last edited:
DAY 4 – SEA DAY

We woke up with the only thing on the agenda the Frozen Meet and Greet. DS took the boys off to that and we headed to Tritons for a sit down breakfast. I had Eggs Benedict which was ok – not great but ok. The day was overcast and the morning in the low 60s. I went back to the cabin after breakfast and started packing up then spent some time on the veranda. Of all the cruises we have been on, this is the least amount of time we have spent out there.

For a trip report, I had a pretty boring day. Plus at this point I was exhausted, never having a chance to slow down and recover from caretaking and my own mini-flu. Part of the group went up to the sports deck to play foosball and a little basketball., a couple went to deck 4 to walk and relax there, and we had one read a book by the adult pool.

The boys wanted to see the Mary Poppins movie and it was playing in the large theater. I would have loved to go the Buena Vista Theater but this was the only chance we had without missing one of the regular evening shows. DH, MIL and I took the boys - they went down to the very front row and thought they were cool. I wanted to take a nap but the movie was loud, I had not seen it, and I had enough lingering stuff that I snored every time I went to sleep. So I can check Mary Poppins Returns off my movie list. It was ok, but I probably won’t add it to our vast Disney movie library.

I still had the Shawarma on my bucket list so I headed up to deck 9 after the movie. I came across The Millennials playing cards and enjoying adult beverages by Quiet Cove pool. It was raining (again!) so they were tucked over in a corner. The Shawarma was delicious! I liked that better that my sandwich from Daisy Delights and would have had more but dinner was looming so close this was more like a pre-dinner appetizer than a late lunch. Feeling crappy had really eaten in to my meals and snacks. I just didn’t have much of an appetite all week.

Dinner was at Tritons. I had Escargot (delicious), French Onion Soup (too salty, could have been my recovering taste buds), Rack of Lamb (perfectly prepared and delicious) and Grand Marnier Souffle (oh my goodness, this is fabulous!). This is one of those restaurants where I would be happy to order three appetizers and three desserts. I’ve had the brie, duck confit, crème brulee and apple tart in the past. I like the escargot more because it’s something I don’t ever eat. I order the lamb because I can’t cook lamb very well at home. In general, I love crème brulee but the soufflé has won over my affections. I tasted my daughter’s leek soup – it was much better than the onion soup.

The service was great as well. But I have to say I feel like the main server was handling some things usually done by the assistant. In the past the assistant has been the one who interacted with the kids – magic tricks or whatever. This trip our assistant was stretched to handle the basics. I’m not sure what kind of drinks the other table was ordering. We were still Bud Lite for DH, craft beer for Millennials, and basics for the rest of us. But however they split it up, our service was good with no complaints. We handed out tip envelopes - gave head and assistant server the recommended and DH put extra $20 in for our server. It wasn't overly generous on our part but we felt it was commensurate.

After dinner we did some last minute shopping. We bought some small photo albums. I got the Tervis steel tumbler with 2019 Disney Cruise Line. I love it and use it every day! At this point I have Disney merch fever and I came to my senses as I found myself putting together a 4-piece place setting of Disney dinnerware that I don’t need, don’t have room for, and would only use when the boys are at our house. So I put it back, checked out and didn’t dare look back.

Captain Mickey was in the lobby and we hit at a point where the line was not too long. We got a great picture of DS and GS with Mickey, as well as a frameable photo for DN to give to his dad.

The Disney Dreams show is not my favorite. We went because the boys were loving the live shows and this one was no different. The story line really appealed to both of them, even 5yo followed the story and gave it as a reason he loved this show. I went just so I could watch them watching the show and I loved that.

It was a while until the goodbye show in the atrium and the boys said they were ready for bed. We took a walk up on deck 9 to say goodbye to the ship and headed back to the room for our last great sleep on the ship. Long story but I was logging in to work every night for about 30 minutes. I think this is where my lost veranda time went. So I wrapped up the day’s work while the boys went to sleep. It was then I checked photos for the last time and realized we were missing some. I went down to Shutters and we located the missing photos to add to the account. I expected Shutters to be a zoo but I had no wait. Walking back to the room is when I saw all of the characters out in the atrium with short lines. I thought about staying for the show but would have missed being with my people so I went back and tucked myself in to our little cabin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter