It's official...ABD is going to Japan!

No kidding! JTB changed their policy re Ghibli tickets starting with April tickets, which has not been fun at all.
I'd kind of forgotten about doing this. Is it too late for my May trip? Not sure it's worth the stress, though, as much as I'd like to see it!

Sayhello

I'd kind of forgotten about doing this. Is it too late for my May trip? Not sure it's worth the stress, though, as much as I'd like to see it!

Sayhello

You still have time to get them. If you plan to use the Japan Rail Pass at all and have not purchased yet... you can contact the USA JTB (Japan Travel Bureau) and order Ghibli tickets with your purchase... you tell them your 3 best times and dates... Most likely this will come through fine and you can do this up to 3 months from the date you want to visit the museum.

Otherwise you would need to check out the Lawson website on the 10th of the month prior to the date you want to visit around 10 AM Japanease time. That's when they go on sale to the public. And popular times will sell out quickly. (if you go to the official Studio Ghibli website... which I just google... it will give you the link to go read all this)

Hopefully this is helpful. These are the only 2 ways to guarantee a ticket. Oh and they are closed on Tuesdays.

Sayhello
Hi @sayhello - for May tickets, you will want to get them on April 10 when the May tickets go on sale. Weekends sell out before weekdays, and the 10 & 12 time slots also go fast for just about any day, usually on the day tickets go on sale. I’ve been tracking for the last three months and all tickets are usually gone within 4-5 days but that was for winter months. They may go faster for spring and summer.

Hi @sayhello - for May tickets, you will want to get them on April 10 when the May tickets go on sale. Weekends sell out before weekdays, and the 10 & 12 time slots also go fast for just about any day, usually on the day tickets go on sale. I’ve been tracking for the last three months and all tickets are usually gone within 4-5 days but that was for winter months. They may go faster for spring and summer.
You still have time to get them. If you plan to use the Japan Rail Pass at all and have not purchased yet... you can contact the USA JTB (Japan Travel Bureau) and order Ghibli tickets with your purchase... you tell them your 3 best times and dates... Most likely this will come through fine and you can do this up to 3 months from the date you want to visit the museum.

Otherwise you would need to check out the Lawson website on the 10th of the month prior to the date you want to visit around 10 AM Japanease time. That's when they go on sale to the public. And popular times will sell out quickly. (if you go to the official Studio Ghibli website... which I just google... it will give you the link to go read all this)

Hopefully this is helpful. These are the only 2 ways to guarantee a ticket. Oh and they are closed on Tuesdays.
Thanks you guys! I need to look at my schedule and see if I can really fit it in! It does sound cool!

Sayhello

Can't get the Ghibli tickets yet... not close enough we get to Japan on Sep 22 (we figure we'll get the JR Pass through USA JTB so that we can have them get us the tickets) Otherwise I was going to try Lawson at the month out... since they now accommodate outside Japan online *honestly Tokyo Disney and Ghibli tickets have been the most stressful part of all this planning*

I was just making sure you didn't think you could walk up the day of and easily buy tickets. Sounds like you know what you're doing!

Thanks you guys! I need to look at my schedule and see if I can really fit it in! It does sound cool!

It's very cool but not worth getting upset over if you can't make it happen. If you do there's a really pretty park to walk around where it's located.

http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/en/

Sharing the link to the Ghibli, a museum calendar is in the middle of the page. @sayhello, your decision whether to visit may be made for you as the museum is closed from May 21-31, which if I recall you are on the May AbD, overlaps your AbD tour time in Tokyo unless you are extending in Tokyo before or after the tour dates.

http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/en/

Sharing the link to the Ghibli, a museum calendar is in the middle of the page. @sayhello, your decision whether to visit may be made for you as the museum is closed from May 21-31, which if I recall you are on the May AbD, overlaps your AbD tour time in Tokyo unless you are extending in Tokyo before or after the tour dates.
Well, there you go. You are correct, I'll be in Japan from May 18th (in Kyoto) through May 31st. So it looks like that *does* mean no Ghibli museum for me! I guess that's one less thing to worry about! Thanks, @Mathmagicland! (PS, have I ever mentioned just how much I *adore* your screen name? :) )

Sayhello

have I ever mentioned just how much I *adore* your screen name? :) )
Thanks!

I was able to get our Ghibli tickets today!!! It was about 25 minutes of the website timing out and getting a “the server is overloaded, please try again later” message, before I was able to complete the transaction. At that time, the 10:00 tickets were gone for most all days but there was still availability for the afternoons. Tickets were almost all gone after just a couple of hours going on sale, so if anyone is interested for future months, I’d encourage you to be online to the site right when they go on sale, have patience with the website, and just keep trying until you can get through.

I was able to get our Ghibli tickets today!!! It was about 25 minutes of the website timing out and getting a “the server is overloaded, please try again later” message, before I was able to complete the transaction. At that time, the 10:00 tickets were gone for most all days but there was still availability for the afternoons. Tickets were almost all gone after just a couple of hours going on sale, so if anyone is interested for future months, I’d encourage you to be online to the site right when they go on sale, have patience with the website, and just keep trying until you can get through.
Congrats!! :)

Sayhello

Just PIF for Japan yesterday. I'd be more excited if it wasn't so painful--yikes it's a lot of money for 4 people. This might be our last family ABD for a while. The Tokyo Disneyland add-on didn't help. At least I was able to use miles for flights. And on the bright side, this one transaction will give me 120,000 points for future trips. Would have been more if I'd gone the Disney Gift Card route to pay off, but I didn't want to stock up on that much in gift cards.

Sharing a couple of TDR info links - this one about crazy lines (6-10 hours!?) for Mickey & Minnie character meets since they are changing to the faces we see at WDW and DLR on April 4. Similar wait times expected when the new faces debut.

https://wdwnt.com/2019/03/upcoming-...sulting-in-long-lines-at-tokyo-disney-resort/

And for the April and May departure groups, some info on the TDR Easter celebration plans.

https://wdwnt.com/2019/01/details-announced-for-tokyo-disney-resorts-disneys-easter-2019/

Sharing a couple of TDR info links - this one about crazy lines (6-10 hours!?) for Mickey & Minnie character meets since they are changing to the faces we see at WDW and DLR on April 4. Similar wait times expected when the new faces debut.

https://wdwnt.com/2019/03/upcoming-...sulting-in-long-lines-at-tokyo-disney-resort/

And for the April and May departure groups, some info on the TDR Easter celebration plans.

https://wdwnt.com/2019/01/details-announced-for-tokyo-disney-resorts-disneys-easter-2019/
Thanks for the info!

I won't even stand in line for character photos for *one* hour! 6 to 10 hours is so ridiculous, I can't even contemplate it! SO not happening!

Sayhello

What do you think about the backpack?
Pretty, but pretty useless. :( The opening at the top means everything at the bottom gets lost and having to dig through it to find anything. It's way too tall to not have a long, zippered opening. It might work as a laundry bag, but not as a backpack!

Sayhello

Pretty, but pretty useless. :( The opening at the top means everything at the bottom gets lost and having to dig through it to find anything. It's way too tall to not have a long, zippered opening. It might work as a laundry bag, but not as a backpack!

Sayhello
Agree-- or a nice tote bag for the beach!

Sayhello
Picture? Is it like the green one we got in 2013? I hated that one at first but it has ended up being my favorite gift of all my trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!