It's official...ABD is going to Japan!

Not sure what credit card nonsense you are referring to. We were there about 18 months ago and had no issue with credit cards. We did notify our CC companies about our travel plans before we left.
I have read there are ATM issues-- need to have a Japanese account etc. True?

We didn't try the ATM's there so I don't know if that is true or not. Perhaps your bank's customer service department can answer that question.

Wow. I hadn't heard anything about this. I like to arrive with minimal local currency, and just pull out what I need from an ATM if necessary. I'll have to check on this.

What I *did* hear was to carry small plastic bags with you, as they don't have public trashcans. So if you grab something to eat outside or something, you need to bag your trash and take it with you until you get somewhere with a trashcan. I am aware that this sounds similar to something else...

Sayhello

ATMs at 7/11, at least, shouldn't be a problem. Lots of places in Japan won't take plastic, but this is getting better all the time.

The plastic bag idea for trash isn't bad, but do note that it is considered rude to walk while eating. I'm sure you will all see lots of people doing it, especially in the parks, but it is still something to be aware of.

ATMs at 7/11, at least, shouldn't be a problem. Lots of places in Japan won't take plastic, but this is getting better all the time.

The plastic bag idea for trash isn't bad, but do note that it is considered rude to walk while eating. I'm sure you will all see lots of people doing it, especially in the parks, but it is still something to be aware of.
Funny enough, a currency exchange guy told me the same thing about trash and bringing your own bags and a backpack (maybe that is why the backpacks that came with the ABD box load from the top!). Also-- he confirmed that 7-11s are good places for ATMs, and that banks can be difficult. My credit union, however, was unaware of any issues with their ATM cards in Japan. Really just looking for actual experiences in Japan re ATMs. Thanks all!

Our ABD date is 9/29-10/9 with the ABD TDL/TDS post stay 10/9-10/11 and we are adding 2 extra nights to that on our own. I went to the TDR site to see what attractions will be closed while we are there. Journey to the Center of the Earth will be closed AGAIN. This is the second time we are going to TDL/TDS after an ABD and the second time that the ride will be closed for refurb. Aaarrrghh! Looks like we will have to plan another trip after the expansions are complete.

Our ABD date is 9/29-10/9 with the ABD TDL/TDS post stay 10/9-10/11 and we are adding 2 extra nights to that on our own. I went to the TDR site to see what attractions will be closed while we are there. Journey to the Center of the Earth will be closed AGAIN. This is the second time we are going to TDL/TDS after an ABD and the second time that the ride will be closed for refurb. Aaarrrghh! Looks like we will have to plan another trip after the expansions are complete.
Pirates and Pooh’s Honey Hunt are closed for us in April. I wanted to see Pooh’s for sure, as it seems to be very popular. But a trip after the expansion is not a bad idea....the new Beauty and the Beast area for one thing looks to be great.

Pirates and Pooh’s Honey Hunt are closed for us in April. I wanted to see Pooh’s for sure, as it seems to be very popular. But a trip after the expansion is not a bad idea....the new Beauty and the Beast area for one thing looks to be great.

Pooh's was really neat and surprisingly different than I expected. We knew after our first TDL/TDS last summer that the Tokyo parks would need to be part of our regular rotation of Disney parks so we will just wait until after the expansion. It works out since I was thinking we'd like to go back every 3 years or so.

Pooh's was really neat and surprisingly different than I expected. We knew after our first TDL/TDS last summer that the Tokyo parks would need to be part of our regular rotation of Disney parks so we will just wait until after the expansion. It works out since I was thinking we'd like to go back every 3 years or so.

Splash Mountain will be closed when we are there :guilty::guilty:.

I booked another flight from Toronto to Katami. This one transfers in Seoul (1 hour layover) and leaves a day earlier. With the extra day, I did some research and decided we'll go to Nara. I know dd will love the deer roaming freely through the town and I like that it's completely walk able. We can take the train there, walk to the park and feed the deer, head to the temple, then the gardens, sample some street food and head back to Kyoto when we are ready. Perfect day! I just have to check with dd's school and make sure they are okay with us leaving a day earlier (with the AP exams done May 17th, we should be fine as they don't do all that much after exams).

Splash Mountain will be closed when we are there :guilty::guilty:.

I booked another flight from Toronto to Katami. This one transfers in Seoul (1 hour layover) and leaves a day earlier. With the extra day, I did some research and decided we'll go to Nara. I know dd will love the deer roaming freely through the town and I like that it's completely walk able. We can take the train there, walk to the park and feed the deer, head to the temple, then the gardens, sample some street food and head back to Kyoto when we are ready. Perfect day! I just have to check with dd's school and make sure they are okay with us leaving a day earlier (with the AP exams done May 17th, we should be fine as they don't do all that much after exams).
Which departure are you on? And I assume you mean Toronto to Kansai?

Sayhello

Last edited:
I did some research and decided we'll go to Nara. I know dd will love the deer roaming freely through the town and I like that it's completely walk able. We can take the train there, walk to the park and feed the deer, head to the temple, then the gardens, sample some street food and head back to Kyoto when we are ready.
The AbD visits Nara on day 5 of the adventure. Not sure what may be duplication with your plans. It is on the day we travel from Kyoto to Takayama. From what I am understanding as I read the details & look up places, it appears to be a good portion of the day.

April departure is almost here & we leave next week! Yikes, while it seemed to take “forever” to get here, now time is passing very quickly. Thank goodness for Amazon Prime for those last minute things I cannot seem to find in town!!! They’ve been here a few times already in the past week, between me and my DS who is having stuff shipped to me for him.

April departure is almost here & we leave next week! Yikes, while it seemed to take “forever” to get here, now time is passing very quickly. Thank goodness for Amazon Prime for those last minute things I cannot seem to find in town!!! They’ve been here a few times already in the past week, between me and my DS who is having stuff shipped to me for him.
I was just saying the same thing. And my trip isn't for another month and a half!!

I am SO excited for you, and looking forward to hearing about your trip! What airline are you flying to Japan? Do you know who your Guides are? If so, is one of them James? What kind of last minute stuff are you getting? I just realized I needed different adapters for Japan, and bought those!

Sayhello

The AbD visits Nara on day 5 of the adventure. Not sure what may be duplication with your plans. It is on the day we travel from Kyoto to Takayama. From what I am understanding as I read the details & look up places, it appears to be a good portion of the day.

Oh I didn't see that. Thank you for pointing that out! Back to the drawing board.

Which departure are you on? And I assume you mean Toronto to Kansai?

Sayhello

You are correct! Toronto to Kansai. I can't seem to get a business class seat with a connect in Tokyo on original departure day. But the Seoul connection seems good. I haven't cancelled our flight with a connection in Shanghai yet. Just waiting to see what dd's school says.

What airline are you flying to Japan? Do you know who your Guides are? If so, is one of them James? What kind of last minute stuff are you getting? I just realized I needed different adapters for Japan, and bought those!
We are flying ANA. Our guides are the same as you mentioned in an earlier post, James and I think Toyomi or something like that, I can’t find my note at the moment.

Last minute stuff - travel size first aid stuff, just in case. I had to get an international size carryon which I did a few months ago, and decided I wanted separate locks rather than moving the ones from my US carryon. A friend who was in Japan last year suggested travel packs of toilet seat covers as she found not all restrooms had them. Dramamine for the flight over - to help me sleep. Smaller sizes of bottles of aspirin & etc so I have original packaging rather than larger containers. Moleskin in case I end up with any foot issues. And small bottles of hand sanitizer. I like to be ready for various possible issues - LOL.

I have a plastic crate where I have been tossing stuff I am starting to put aside for the trip and as I come across gaps, I either add to my Target shopping list or order from Amazon.

Oh I didn't see that
I did not catch it either in the AbD website descriptions, I think because it is not an overnight stop, & had told someone who had suggested Nara for the deer that we weren’t going there. It wasn’t until I got & read the detailed adventure booklet that I picked up on Nara. I am hoping we will see the deer when we are touring around or during our free time for lunch,

We are flying ANA. Our guides are the same as you mentioned in an earlier post, James and I think Toyomi or something like that, I can’t find my note at the moment.

Last minute stuff - travel size first aid stuff, just in case. I had to get an international size carryon which I did a few months ago, and decided I wanted separate locks rather than moving the ones from my US carryon. A friend who was in Japan last year suggested travel packs of toilet seat covers as she found not all restrooms had them. Dramamine for the flight over - to help me sleep. Smaller sizes of bottles of aspirin & etc so I have original packaging rather than larger containers. Moleskin in case I end up with any foot issues. And small bottles of hand sanitizer. I like to be ready for various possible issues - LOL.

I have a plastic crate where I have been tossing stuff I am starting to put aside for the trip and as I come across gaps, I either add to my Target shopping list or order from Amazon.
James and Tomomi. They'll be all ready for my trip in May, then! :)

So you're just collecting all the normal travel 'just in case' stuff. I haven't *quite* started gathering that stuff yet.

I'm flying ANA also. You'll have to let me know how it is. I've read good things about them!

Sayhello

James and Tomomi. They'll be all ready for my trip in May, then! :)

So you're just collecting all the normal travel 'just in case' stuff. I haven't *quite* started gathering that stuff yet.

I'm flying ANA also. You'll have to let me know how it is. I've read good things about them!

Sayhello
Yes, “normal” stuff for the most part. Ie with the locks, the Target website showed the same price as Amazon, however when I got to the store the in-store price was higher for some unexplained reason. I don’t like that they do that, So, rather than order thru Target for in store pickup, I ordered from Amazon.

I will definitely share about ANA. I’ve read lots of good things too, and they have been great thus far with my questions.

Seems like you have a bit of OYO time in Nara, so it doesn't seem like it would be too challenging to head over to the deer park for a while if you wanted. About a 20 minute walk from Higashimuki.

So I'm running an opinion poll here. ;)

The only good flight that I could get to Japan leaves really pretty early in the morning (for me!). It leaves at 8:45am, which means leaving for the airport at 6am at the latest. Well, absolutely *no-one* is available to take me to the airport that early in the day! So I'm weighing my odds. I could drive myself to the airport; but I'm not the best driver that early in the morning, plus long term parking for the 16 days I'm going to be gone could end up rather steep. Folks have suggested Uber or Lyft, but, honestly, I'm pretty leery about getting in a total stranger's car at 6am in the morning. What can I say, that's just me. I could take a taxi; also a pretty expensive option, and one that makes me a bit nervous, because I've had taxis just not show up a couple of times. So the option that I was left with, which is also not the cheapest option, is to get a hotel room near the airport. I could have someone drop me off there the night before, relax for the evening, then shuttle to the airport in the morning. Sort of start my vacation a bit early. It also has the advantage of lessening that morning-of stress of last minute packing. I'd already be all packed; all I'd need to do is re-pack whatever I took out the evening before and that morning, and be on my way. It's not cheap, but it does have it's attractions.

So WWYD?

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter