It's official...ABD is going to Japan!

I hope it works out for you.

Thanks! If not, no big deal. I’m more curious than anything given it’s reputation. I’m actually more excited about a couple of reservations I was able to get in Kyoto and Tokyo.

So I have to admit, I know nothing about the dining at TDLR. I'm not big on Table Service when I'm at a park I'm not likely to visit again (unless it's like a big group dinner). What Quick Service do you guys recommend?

Sayhello

I’d love to hear opinions about this as well considering counter service will be the bulk of our meals.

DisneySea - we loved Volcania. It is Chinese cuisine.
Casbah food court is good if you like spicy curry. I can't eat it but I hear it is good.
Teddy Roosevelt Lounge is a cool bar and lounge which is worth checking out even just to look at a Japanese take on an American president

Tokyo Disneyland - Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall - Alice in Wonderland themed
Grandma's Sara's Kitchen - comfort food
Hungry Bear Restaurant - if you like sweet, Japanese curry

Snacks - any of the flavored popcorns and green alien men with custard in Tomorrowland

DisneySea - we loved Volcania. It is Chinese cuisine.
Casbah food court is good if you like spicy curry. I can't eat it but I hear it is good.
Teddy Roosevelt Lounge is a cool bar and lounge which is worth checking out even just to look at a Japanese take on an American president

Tokyo Disneyland - Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall - Alice in Wonderland themed
Grandma's Sara's Kitchen - comfort food
Hungry Bear Restaurant - if you like sweet, Japanese curry

Snacks - any of the flavored popcorns and green alien men with custard in Tomorrowland

I second all of this.

Casbah was awesome and I didn't find it too spicy, more flavorful. Sweetheart Cafe at TDS at the front of the park was really neat too. It didn't seem like you could go wrong no matter what you chose.

So I have to admit, I know nothing about the dining at TDLR. I'm not big on Table Service when I'm at a park I'm not likely to visit again (unless it's like a big group dinner). What Quick Service do you guys recommend?

Sayhello

Some of my favs:
Disneyland:
Sweetheart Cafe - For pastries, I haven't tried their sandwiches here but I ALWAYS stop and get some Mike Wazowski bread. Its 'melon-pan' in the shape of his head and soooo good. Groups of girls will fill their trays with several (maybe as gifts?). I also enjoy the anpan buns in the shape of a dog bone.
Camp Woodchuck Kitchen: Waffle sandwiches. Need I say more?
Grandma Sarah's and Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall: These are both in really neat settings and worth a stop. The food isn't anything special but the portions at Sarah's are large, and the food at the QoH is cute.
Rackety's Raccoon Saloon: ok, so this is just a snack place really but I love their sundae! They have corn flakes in the bottom for a nice crunch, good soft serve with fruit topping and an ADORABLE mickey churro stuck in there too. I love it.
Huey, Dewey and Louie's Good Time Cafe: I had a sandwich here this last trip and it was REALLY good too... it was a special Easter offering but I imagine their normal sandwich was good too. It was in the shape of an egg on soft steamed bread but the normal one is a Mickey hand I think?

Disney Sea:
Teddy Roosevelt Lounge - there may be a wait but we've enjoyed everything we've had here so far. Their Caesar Salad is a little strange, but still yummy and they have a large pastrami sandwich too that most people seemed to be ordering. Their seasonal parfait was SO GOOD I went back the next day and got another. I always make sure to go here every trip - its relaxing, kind of funny with all the bears around, and they have a large drink menu if you are inclined (I rarely drink and didn't have anything this trip but still enjoyed it for the ambiance.)
Casbah Good Court: A previous poster mentioned the curry is spicy but mine wasn't at all... I had the Easter special set and it was normal. Not bland, but not hot spicy just lots of curry flavor if that makes sense?

Cafe Portofino - buffetteria with pastas, I enjoyed the set meal but it was too large to finish.

Disneyland Hotel:
Dreamer's Lounge: They serve afternoon tea here! Its quiet and lovely, the tea is delicious and the treats are adorable! Its great for a break from the park if you change your mind and need a break. And/or for anyone else reading! :)

Some of my favs:
Disneyland:
Sweetheart Cafe - For pastries, I haven't tried their sandwiches here but I ALWAYS stop and get some Mike Wazowski bread. Its 'melon-pan' in the shape of his head and soooo good. Groups of girls will fill their trays with several (maybe as gifts?). I also enjoy the anpan buns in the shape of a dog bone.
Camp Woodchuck Kitchen: Waffle sandwiches. Need I say more?
Grandma Sarah's and Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall: These are both in really neat settings and worth a stop. The food isn't anything special but the portions at Sarah's are large, and the food at the QoH is cute.
Rackety's Raccoon Saloon: ok, so this is just a snack place really but I love their sundae! They have corn flakes in the bottom for a nice crunch, good soft serve with fruit topping and an ADORABLE mickey churro stuck in there too. I love it.
Huey, Dewey and Louie's Good Time Cafe: I had a sandwich here this last trip and it was REALLY good too... it was a special Easter offering but I imagine their normal sandwich was good too. It was in the shape of an egg on soft steamed bread but the normal one is a Mickey hand I think?

Disney Sea:
Teddy Roosevelt Lounge - there may be a wait but we've enjoyed everything we've had here so far. Their Caesar Salad is a little strange, but still yummy and they have a large pastrami sandwich too that most people seemed to be ordering. Their seasonal parfait was SO GOOD I went back the next day and got another. I always make sure to go here every trip - its relaxing, kind of funny with all the bears around, and they have a large drink menu if you are inclined (I rarely drink and didn't have anything this trip but still enjoyed it for the ambiance.)
Casbah Good Court: A previous poster mentioned the curry is spicy but mine wasn't at all... I had the Easter special set and it was normal. Not bland, but not hot spicy just lots of curry flavor if that makes sense?

Cafe Portofino - buffetteria with pastas, I enjoyed the set meal but it was too large to finish.

Disneyland Hotel:
Dreamer's Lounge: They serve afternoon tea here! Its quiet and lovely, the tea is delicious and the treats are adorable! Its great for a break from the park if you change your mind and need a break. And/or for anyone else reading! :)
The Teddy Roosevelt lounge definitely worth a look and a drink, and we loved the Italian restaurant near the Miracosta hotel, next to the canal.

Did people find it was it better to book Japan prenights with Disney or on your own?

What about the extensions?

Did people find it was it better to book Japan prenights with Disney or on your own?

It worked better for me to book both a pre-night and the Tokyo Disneyland Resort add-on through Disney. For the pre-night, I really couldn't get the hotel room for much less, and I really like being picked up at the airport, and taken to the hotel without having to worry about not reading or speaking the language. For the add-on, it was worth it to me, because it was just easier and I like having ABD take care of it all, and getting all the Fastpasses, etc. For me, as a solo, it was pretty OK cost-wise. It gets really pricey if you're booking the add-on through ABD for a family.

Sayhello

Friday morning!! I have no clue what clothing to pack! It's actually been kind of warm there!

Sayhello
We went this time of year in May 2015 and had weather from 85 degrees with high humidity one day in Kyoto to 62 degrees and chilly in Hakone. I would pack layers. Most days were very pleasant. The breeze coming off the bay at Tokyo DL and DisneySea can be quite chilly especially at night. A windbreaker would have been helpful. We did not have one.

It's always good practice to see what the rates are with ABD vs on your own. We are doing pre nights in Tokyo so of course we are on our own. We booked the Park Hyatt Tokyo on points and are excited to check out what the fuss is all about.

As for the extension, on your own is more than likely the more cost effective option. However, there is a subjective value to extra fastpasses and the absolute pain in the nether regions that it can be to book the Tokyo Disney hotels on your own. We opted to do both. We have our 2 night extension with ABD. We get to enjoy extra fastpasses and that was two days less of a headache and stress regarding the hotel stay. Since ABD is taking care of the first two nights, I thought it worth getting on the anxiety ridden stress rollercoaster of trying to book 2 more nights at the MiraCosta in a Harbor View room. The booking windows opened up this past Friday night for my first night and Saturday night for the second night. I was unsuccessful and only secured our first night at MiraCosta. Through team work with DH and my TA we did manage to get the second night at the Disneyland hotel which right now has no availability except for the suite which is $2,326.88 per night. Uhm, no thanks. So, if you are going to do it on your own, know what you are getting into or be sure your TA has done this before and knows what they are getting into and how the process works.

If you get into the secret room I will be even moreeee jealous.

Me too!

We booked on own own. It saved a lot, but it is a pain. You have to do a lot of research. It becomes dramatically more expensive through ABD if you are a larger party as they will (I assume) book you into 2 rooms. We're a family of 5 biting the bullet and staying in one room (that can accommodate 5). We're staying for 5 nights. Our cost was ~$2000 cheaper booking packages and staying 5 nights compared to staying 2 nights through ABD. So we have a 3 day/2 night package, 1 night room only, and 3 day/2 night package. TDR doesn't make it simple!

We went this time of year in May 2015 and had weather from 85 degrees with high humidity one day in Kyoto to 62 degrees and chilly in Hakone. I would pack layers. Most days were very pleasant. The breeze coming off the bay at Tokyo DL and DisneySea can be quite chilly especially at night. A windbreaker would have been helpful. We did not have one.
Thanks!! This is very useful!

Sayhello

It worked better for me to book both a pre-night and the Tokyo Disneyland Resort add-on through Disney. For the pre-night, I really couldn't get the hotel room for much less, and I really like being picked up at the airport, and taken to the hotel without having to worry about not reading or speaking the language. For the add-on, it was worth it to me, because it was just easier and I like having ABD take care of it all, and getting all the Fastpasses, etc. For me, as a solo, it was pretty OK cost-wise. It gets really pricey if you're booking the add-on through ABD for a family.

Sayhello

I had to pack most of my clothes when we were home in April (we will only be in Toronto for 18 hours before we leave). I have the following:
  • a selection of skorts, shorts, t-shirts (lululemon ones that are easy to wash and hang dry and nicer cotton ones) and tank tops
  • 2 pairs of long pants and a light sweater
  • waterproof shoes (no laughing -- after China I won't be stuck in rainy season in Japan with wet feet all day)
  • a water PROOF jacket (only had water resistant in China -- again huge mistake I have learned from)
  • travel umbrella (super light)
  • ankle socks (I don't want to have bare feet in restaurants / temples) and compression socks (for the plane)
  • extra memory card and battery for my camera
  • hand sanitizer
  • snacks for plane (just in case)
  • travel insurance documents
  • a nice silk scarf from China
  • belt
  • some nice costume jewellery
  • credit cards
  • shampoo / conditioner (I'm picky about hair products)
  • A pair of sandals, walking shoes and dressy shoes for our photo shoot at the Inari Shrine
  • bathing suit (unlikely I'll ever reach for it, but it's there just in case)
  • Tylenol, Gravol, moleskin, band-aids, travel scissors, safety pins, needle and thread, laundry detergent, wet wipes, toothpaste
  • sunglasses and a hat
  • small flat iron for hair
  • chargers for electronics
  • iPad
  • ABD booklet (it's in FL with me now, but will be packed in my backpack)
  • local currency
  • small battery-operated fans for super hot days (with extra batteries)
  • cute little bag for evenings out
Maybe pile has the following:
  • cotton khaki shorts (not practical for travel but very cute!)
  • nice dress
  • l/s blouse
I'm probably over-packed, but I'd rather have a bit too much. It helps that I have an area in my closet set aside for travel clothes, so I just pull out the neat piles, wash, fold and place into cubes. Then add the nicer outfits I want. If you are packing light then completely disregard my list :).

And yes, I'm type A!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!