Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

Hello.

Also new to AKL. We're excited for a new resort experience this summer.

Regarding room location, we have a standard room booked. I'm more concerned with location than savanna views. I'd like to be in a convenient location. Right now, using TPs, I'm requesting a room down Zebra Trail in the wing 3451-3486. Does this small wing have a name? I've read reviews that there is access to an external door at the end of the corridor. I think this would be convenient for The Mara, Pool and walking to the bus. Would love imput from the AKL pros.

Anyone done the culinary tour lately? Would love to know more about it. Is it worth doing?

Is there a bus to kidani? Just watched Tim Tracker's AKL vlog and he mentioned it was a hike walking over there. We have an ADR lunch at Sanaa but in August midday heat, don't think I want to hike over there.

Is there a bus to kidani? Just watched Tim Tracker's AKL vlog and he mentioned it was a hike walking over there. We have an ADR lunch at Sanaa but in August midday heat, don't think I want to hike over there.

I plan on getting an ADR for a Sanaa lunch while at AKL on our next trip. I read that there is a shuttle that goes between AKL and Kidani, but the path between them looked lovely, so weather permitting we will walk it. This would be our non-park day, so not much mileage on the ol' tootsies!

In April we are staying in a value studio. I'm psyched for the tiny kitchen! I understand the location is really close to everything, but my only concern is that it may be too close. Does anyone know if these rooms have doors facing out onto the lobby? I can see doors on the upper floors in the pictures and in the video that was recently posted, and according to Touring Plans, the studio rooms are all located in the main lobby building. My biggest concern is possible noise.

The Value villas are on both Giraffe and Ostrich trails. None of them face the lobby. (Those are all “standard view”.) I think you’ll be very happy with the location of your studio! My only complaint about them is the lack of closet/storage space. Other than that, they’re great! Enjoy!!

Ok, I see. I found a map and it looks close to the lobby but not exactly in the same building like I had thought. My value studio is listed as a "standard view" though. I am hoping we'll get a partial savannah!

That is old information. The pools are gated. I was just at AKL and noticed the pool closes at 8pm (I don't remember for sure what time it opens - 9am I believe). The gates are locked outside of those hours. The closing time will increase as Spring and Summer get closer, but possibly not by early March. I wish I had more info for you.
If the pools open at 9am here, I wonder if that is when they open at the other resorts as well.

I plan on getting an ADR for a Sanaa lunch while at AKL on our next trip. I read that there is a shuttle that goes between AKL and Kidani, but the path between them looked lovely, so weather permitting we will walk it. This would be our non-park day, so not much mileage on the ol' tootsies!
Yes, there’s a small shuttle bus (used to be a van) that runs between Jambo and Kidani. Note you hop on it in front of the lobbies - near where the bell services podium is (ask & they’ll point you to the right spot) not down by the bus stops. I like walking, but after logging close to 20,000 steps at a park or parks during any given day
I’m a big fan of that frequent shuttle :)

We are thinking of adding on two nights at AKL and renting points at the end of our trip as a treat for our daughters birthday (she will be turning 2). We want a Savanna view and we will pretty much just be hanging around the resort the whole time after 10 days at another resort (hopefully CSR), should we be looking at Jambo house or Kidani for best animal viewing?

if you are just after animal views while staying at DVC, then Kidani might be better choice. Jambo only have floors 5 and 6, while Kidani is all floors. Floor 3 &4 offers the best views.

2nd floor (at both Jambo House & Kidani) have great views for being able to look out at the animals rather than looking down at them as you would on the higher floors :thumbsup2
Right but if she is renting DVC points then Jambo house will only have floor 5 & 6 available

Right but if she is renting DVC points then Jambo house will only have floor 5 & 6 available

This was just a general statement for anyone interested. You had posted 3 & 4 had the best views. I was just adding that floor 2 also has great views. :confused3

I have a few questions and they're mostly related to DVC vs Disney direct. This is our first trip renting points, our first trip at AKL, and our first trip with park hoppers. So it feels like a whole new thing!

- When renting DVC points I've read that the room request process works the same as normal and I can use the TP template, but I've also read I need to ask the DVC owner to call on my behalf. Has anyone renting points used the TP fax with success?

- While Mousekeeping won't be visiting our room but once, we can still call for more towels or pillows or soap, right?

- If we do online check-in and order MagicBands can we skip going to the resort the first day and just go straight to the parks? I've read that this is doable, but I'm unsure because of the DVC issue.

- How does AKL (Jambo House, in particular) handle Amazon prime deliveries? I think I've read both that the front desk will hold items and that you have to be in the room to accept delivery. It makes sense that the policy might change/evolve over time, though.

Thank you!

- When renting DVC points I've read that the room request process works the same as normal and I can use the TP template, but I've also read I need to ask the DVC owner to call on my behalf. Has anyone renting points used the TP fax with success
Yes I have had a lot of success with touring plans requests on an AKL DVC stay even if the request is not made with DVC member services. Their room assigners are my favorite!

While Mousekeeping won't be visiting our room but once, we can still call for more towels or pillows or soap, right?
The official answer to this is no. Well, pillows might be something you should be able to call for (and you can try requesting any of these things, the worst they'll say is no). The other items are available to DVC members or guests for an additional cost. Here is the last pricing I could find:

Laundry soap (single load box) = $1
Towel pack = $6
Toiletries (bar soap, shampoo, etc) = $5
Coffee service = $3

- If we do online check-in and order MagicBands can we skip going to the resort the first day and just go straight to the parks? I've read that this is doable, but I'm unsure because of the DVC issue.
Yes, just make sure everything is linked together in MDE (your tickets and your reservation are both displaying, just like with a cash stay)

Yes I have had a lot of success with touring plans requests on an AKL DVC stay even if the request is not made with DVC member services. Their room assigners are my favorite!

The official answer to this is no. Well, pillows might be something you should be able to call for (and you can try requesting any of these things, the worst they'll say is no). The other items are available to DVC members or guests for an additional cost. Here is the last pricing I could find:

Laundry soap (single load box) = $1
Towel pack = $6
Toiletries (bar soap, shampoo, etc) = $5
Coffee service = $3

Yes, just make sure everything is linked together in MDE (your tickets and your reservation are both displaying, just like with a cash stay)

Thanks, lady! I appreciate your answers! I can pack extra stuff (I'm a pro at packing extra...), so knowing those details before we go is a huge help.

Thanks, lady! I appreciate your answers! I can pack extra stuff (I'm a pro at packing extra...), so knowing those details before we go is a huge help.

I always do anyway so I can bring the H2O stuff home with me to enjoy later when I am particularly missing the magic :teeth: don't forget the best thing about DVC rooms (for me) FULL SIZE COFFEE POT! They give you a single pack (makes a pot) of regular and a pack of decaf, but we pack our own coffee and filters. The one time we forgot we were staying at Saratoga Springs and they sold individual Melitta packs of coffee for much less than the DVC coffee price in the quick service/shop there. The makers in the room are Mr Coffee-type basket filter coffee makers. Disney will provide liquid dish soap and a sponge, we bring a pump dispenser of hand soap as well. Another tip I have learned from experience and the boards is to bring a package (or at least a few loose) Ziplock bags for leftovers and wet swimsuits and anything else. We spend more time in the room when we have a DVC room so we are much more likely to actually eat our leftovers there. Also regarding Amazon Prime - it's been a while since I've ordered, but the last time I did the resort held my package (as it was regular Prime delivery, I actually used Prime Pantry). If you do Amazon Prime Now you should be able to just meet your driver at a time you know you'll be at the resort. Otherwise I think you are relying on the good graces of bell services and I don't know if I'd be comfortable with that myself (my Coke Zero delivery is too important, haha)

Have a great stay - hope you get all your requests!

I have a few questions and they're mostly related to DVC vs Disney direct. This is our first trip renting points, our first trip at AKL, and our first trip with park hoppers. So it feels like a whole new thing!

- When renting DVC points I've read that the room request process works the same as normal and I can use the TP template, but I've also read I need to ask the DVC owner to call on my behalf. Has anyone renting points used the TP fax with success?

- While Mousekeeping won't be visiting our room but once, we can still call for more towels or pillows or soap, right?

- How does AKL (Jambo House, in particular) handle Amazon prime deliveries? I think I've read both that the front desk will hold items and that you have to be in the room to accept delivery. It makes sense that the policy might change/evolve over time, though.

Thank you!

I've had success using TP and renting DVC points the past two years. Neither time did I involve the owner in our room requests.

The first time I successfully used TP with DVC rental was a year ago at AKL Jambo. They didn't grant my exact request but they gave me the mirror opposite of my request on the other side of the resort. The view was the exact same type of partial savanna view as our original request just with different animals. This was perfect, and we were thrilled.

The second successful use was last month at Boardwalk Villas. Again, not a perfect room match but one room over on the same floor. Again, same view and still a slightly larger room since it was on the corner, etc. We were very happy with the room assignment and with TP's service.

As for the Magic Bands being good to go and not checking in first, I think this is supposed to work, but we had trouble with ours a year ago while staying at AKL. Our first stop was dining and our bands were not working. The restaurant was wonderful and spread a little pixie dust but we made sure our next stop was AKL front desk. They straightened everything out quickly. As a precaution, we chose to check-in at the resort at BWV this time before doing anything else just so we could make certain our bands were in fact working. The process was so smooth that I think we will do this from now on for peace of mind. As far as I know, one shouldn't have to do that, though.

Depending on your length of stay, you might have what is or used to be called a trash & towel day during your stay, which includes a towel and toiletry refill. (For over 4 days you get it on day 4. For 8 or more days you get a full cleaning on day 4 and T&T on day 7.) But we always bring our own as well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter